Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellas
I'm after a bit of advice. As I am planning on doing all routine maintenance on my Mito MY2010 135 veloce, could anyone tell me if the caliper pistons (front and back) are the kind that have to be rewound back into the caliper or just push straight back in. If so, is it worthwhile buying the 'Laser' type retracting tool seen on Ebay and Amazon or should I buy one of those multiple disc kits with both LH & RH threaded retractors? I have seen these on both Ebay and Amazon for about £15-£18.
If I could get away with the more rugged looking and simpler 'Laser' model, that would be great but with out knowing for certain I would otherwise go for the multiple kit, it might not be the greatest quality in the world but I don't plan on using too often.
Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers fellas.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I bought the multiple disc one, I always go for the stuff with greatest utility and i probably own't keep my mito forever so will get use out of it whatever i have. Still actually got to get out there and use it yet.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi,

You will require a left and right hand caliper rewind tool for your rear brakes only. The fronts are simply push type, not screw retracting like the rears. I have the Sealey 18 piece rewind tool, which works ok if still a bit fiddly?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,

You will require a left and right hand caliper rewind tool for your rear brakes only. The fronts are simply push type, not screw retracting like the rears. I have the Sealey 18 piece rewind tool, which works ok if still a bit fiddly?
That's great Rog, that helps a lot, knowing i'll need the LH & RH tools. Is doing the rears straightforward, having the hand brakes on the caliper as well?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi again,

I got away without disconnecting the hand brake cables on my wifes Mito. Replaced the original rear discs, as well as the original pads, because they were just below min thickness after 80,000 + miles.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
Ooh... Cool. I've never seen that before :)
As far as I know all rear calipers with handbrake on them have it (could be wrong but I havent seen any)
All cars with disk brakes at the rear have it with the exception of those that have the handbrake act on shoes inside the disk so the disk is a combined disk and drum. I know 80's porches and 90's volvos have this setup. I can't see the benefit apart from when the handbrake sticks on it REALLY sticks on.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.