Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys i have my mito for a couple of months now but i have to say that the paintwork is in my opinion not good (enough). I drove just 3000 km and the whole car has many little stone impacts. I hardly never drive on speedway... I always here some rocjs coming up from the street against the paintwork , every time it's an impact:mad:

The most impacts are on the backwheel on passengersside and on the bonnet.

You guys and girls also have this problem? I have a pastelpainted color.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have had my car for four or five weeks now (Alfa Red) covering a mixture of road types in my 1700 miles and have to say I am disappointed in the paint quality, it is poor :( I too have quite a few stone chips low down on door just behind the front wheels, also on the quarter panel just in front of the rear wheels and the front bumper has a few marks on too. Also one on top edge of one front wing :(

I expected the odd one due to poor british roads and the mix of driving I do but previous new cars haven't suffered like this so quickly. Not good at all !!!!! :(

·
Registered
467 Posts
Could I just say that you haven't seen anything regarding poor paint quality unless you have had the new shape Honda Civics, the paint quality on them are atrocious and extremely thin

·
Registered
409 Posts
Water based paints are the pitts. They seem to have no minor impact resistance.
Long term durability for any car painted with waterbased paints doesnt look good. I have a van just over 2 years old painted with this cr-p im on my 4th touch up pencil and still need more . Every time i wash it more chips appear not good .:tut:

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
i found this issue with the waterbased paint on the Ford I just sold it was covered in chips at 3years and the swirls were mad from washing and i always used a microfibre cloth and 2 buckets.......I think it happens with all cars now since the cellous went from the mix cos of what it was doing to the world

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
So you think water based paints are enviromentally friendly..probably about as friendly as Low energy Globes which we are being forced to use instead of less efficient incandescent Globes because they reduce CO2 ...less CO2 but toxic to make and toxic in your house if you break one...a nice dose of 'Mad Hatters' Mercury anyone ;)http://www.nvmdigital.com/photos/photo480/micropediamisc/lels.html

"A decade ago, waterborne paint was seen as a great way to reduce emissions from assembly plants. But now the industry seems to having second thoughts.
AUTOMOTIVE INSIGHT: Waterborne Paint is not that Green - John's Journal on Autoline Detroit
Painting cars requires a lot of paint solvents, and they give off a lot of emissions. It’s what they call volatile organic compounds, or VOCs. That’s why the industry got interested in water-based paints as a way to cut down on emissions from their painting operations.

But paint experts tell me that you have to use twice as much waterborne paint to make sure it goes on right. And since even waterborne paint has solvent in it, using twice as much paint means it puts out about the same emissions.

Plus, waterborne paint shops need to be air conditioned, which uses more energy. And so it looks like there will not be as much business going forward with waterborne paints, because they no longer look as ecologically "

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Modern paints are in a word soft. Far less durable, than the older materials, so we are stuffed at present. Nice smart new car ends up pock marked in next to no time. Sad, Innit?:(:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am probably not the only one who has this problem , i don't like it at all. At this speed the mito has no paint on it at 100000km:mad:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They have a guanrantee for the paintwork but offcourse spraying again doesn't solve the problems , within a couple of miles the chips are back again. Alfa also gives no guarantee about chips ...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Also any of you guys noticed the difference in paint on the white models from the mito? Even on other colors the difference between bumpers and other paintwork is big. When you notice it :)

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Looked at a very nice 350Z in passing the other day. Poor chap will have to take it to the N Hospital though, as the front air dam lacquer was very badly scarred! The rest of the motor was immaculate? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm a bit concerned about the stories of bad paintwork... is everybody who has a MITO experiencing this...:( and is it any worse than any other new car you can buy.... Or is it just Alfa Models... Thanks

·
Registered
71 Posts
I just ordered my Mito a week ago!!!:(
But I guess if you're a real Alfisti this is no reason to cancel the deal.
It is annoying, though, especially with today's Alfas that are supposed to show better quality.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I'm a bit concerned about the stories of bad paintwork... is everybody who has a MITO experiencing this...:( and is it any worse than any other new car you can buy.... Or is it just Alfa Models... Thanks
It cant just be an alfa issue surely. Its the whole painting technique thats used these days. Done as quick as possible by a robot. A lad said to me the ther day my car was orange peel but when i googled it and looked at every car in my area its normal. Its the way theyre sprayed these days. High pressure which gives a slight ripple.:)

·
Registered
178 Posts
It cant just be an alfa issue surely. Its the whole painting technique thats used these days. Done as quick as possible by a robot. A lad said to me the ther day my car was orange peel but when i googled it and looked at every car in my area its normal. Its the way theyre sprayed these days. High pressure which gives a slight ripple.:)
please do not blame your paint on alfa,gizto is right it is modern crap waterbased paints, i have 2 mates with new mercs and another has a new audi a4 and the paint work is just as soft.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts