Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I collected my 2010 mito 2 days ago. The same afternoon a light appears on dash board and amber coloured car with a padlock saying alarm unavailable. I just called the buyer who said it's probably cuz it sat there a month before I picked it up and I should try disconnecting the earth cable from the battery? Ok I'm a proper girl I can change a tyre and check my oil but I don't wanna be fiddling with the battery! If I turn engine off and restart it disappears. The alarm works as I accidentally set it off yesterday when I thought it was unlocked. Also when I lock it there is a beep and then 4 seconds later a 2nd beep. Is this normal? Nothing in manual about this. Thanks Alfa loving men! ?

·
Registered
344 Posts
A second beep after a pause when locking indicates the alarm system isn't completely happy - this ties in with you getting "Mito alarm unavailable". I think there are switch sensors for each door, the boot and the bonnet. There's also an ultrasonic sensor. I'd have thought (but am not 100% sure) that the door and boot ones would also be used to indicate they're open on the dash, so if that's not showing it probably indicates those are fine so maybe it's the bonnet or ultrasonic are misbehaving. Could be worth opening and closing firmly each of the doors, the boot and the bonnet to see if that sorts it.

The manual says:

"If after the alarm is activated, a second acoustic warning is emitted and/or the LED on the dashboard flashes, wait about 4 seconds and then deactivate the alarm by pressing [UNLOCK], check that the doors, bonnet and luggage compartment are closed correctly and then reactivate the system by pressing [LOCK]."

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Hi, If you do a search on this forum you'll realise this is a common occurence, my Mito has done it loads of times, it happens if you have not locked the car in the way it wants to be locked, i've messed it up before by pressing the lock button a few minutes after locking the car (I must have short term memory loss) and even by pressing the boot open button while the car is locked, it's nothing to worry about and sorts itself out by the next time you use it, if it happens on a regular basis the battery may be knackered, as you said it had been standing for some time, it's just another quirk that separates Alfa Romeos from a boring Korean or German car :classic:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for both replies both very helpful. I will try re opening and closing the doors, bonnet etc see how it goes. I did try my spare key in case it was the key. Yes hoping it will just correct itself. I'm not too concerned and runs like a dream. More annoying than anything to be honest. Other than this loving owning an Alfa.:thumbup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried reclosing all the doors etc and when I lock it now only beeps once so problem solved. New problem is alarm randomly going off!! Grrr ? I've actually left the car unlocked in my work carpark as I have to keep going out there to it! I'm definitely heading back to where I bought it as still under the 6 month warranty

·
Registered
344 Posts
It sounds like whichever sensor was causing the alarm unavailable message and double beep is now behaving enough for the alarm to fully set on that sensor, but is still misbehaving and randomly triggering. Sadly I don't think the Mito tells you which sensor triggered an alarm (fingers crossed it records it in the computer so a diagnostic can easily find what's misbehaving).

According to the manual you can lock the car without enabling the alarm by using the key in the driver's side door lock - so that should hopefully keep your car secure without you going insane in the interim!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haaaa yes going insane is certainly an option. Such a shame as I bloody love this car. Spoken to garage I bought from they given me a few things to try before I take it back for diagnostic test. I didn't have this problem with my fiat panda but damn is this car better looking lol ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Alarm Quirks

I to seem to have a few alarm issues with my 63 Mito - only had it a few weeks and also have the yellow padlock alarm light on in dash - also when locking it the hazards sometimes flash all the time then eventually go off - is this anything to do with parking close to moving objects i.e. on a road side or a known issue ? sometimes if I press the key LOCK twice it stops but not always. Have read noted about battery concerns and must say that when I got the car the dealer did have to put a jump pack on it to start it at first so maybe this is a reason ? wouldn't expect a battery to have worn in less than 3 years though - I may try the earth lead scenario see what happens.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
The indicators flash in tandem with the alarm beep on my Mito, probably as a visual indicator that the alarm has been set, when you quickly press the lock button twice you will activate the deadlocks on the doors.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts