Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
87,038 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
I don't understand why people would want one.

If you want a 5door, get a Guilietta?
Agreed. Although car brands seem to be constantly trying to out-niche each other.

after all:

golf<golf plus<Jetta<passatt

etc

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
i thought the five door mito was going to be for the american market only, i can't see the point of it when you see it will only be about a grand less in price than a base guilietta and that car is larger inside and out, as for the golf plus i think i've only seen one in all the years its been on sale, i think vw's focus panels and niche marketers dropped a big one that time

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
I think it might just be a smart move at the moment. There are a lot of people out there who would like a small 5 door good looking car. When there's a choice I'm pretty sure the 5 door outsells the 3 door. In fact, perhaps you someone could enlighten me on one that doesn't.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I think it might just be a smart move at the moment. There are a lot of people out there who would like a small 5 door good looking car. When there's a choice I'm pretty sure the 5 door outsells the 3 door. In fact, perhaps you someone could enlighten me on one that doesn't.
I want a 5 door Mito!

As it is, the Mito's slightly bigger than I really need, but the rear access
is awkward for my elderly parents :rolleyes:

The latest Panda ticks most of the boxes (pity the multijet's still only 75HP :confused:)
but it just doesn't have the style or panache required- it's got to be a Mito :cool:

Chris

·
Banned
173 Posts
The Mito is a sporty looking thing, i can't imagine it with 5 doors - all that springs to mind, is that when most companies try to make a really small 5 door they can't pull it off - look at the citroen C1 5 door - it looks like a strange after thought! Conversley...I can't see why they don't do a 3 door 'coupe' style Gulietta! Oh and while we are discussing VW... Who buys a Jetta?

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
It's more about what sells, particularly in the poorer parts of the world.

C

·
0 Posts
The Mito also gets the option of the Fiat 500 TwinAir engine next year . . .

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I guess the MiTo's main competitors (small premium hatches, ie Mini, DS3) are all offered as 3 door only, with the exception of the Audi A1, which is (or will shortly be) offered as 5 door too. If Alfa didn't offer the MiTo as a 5 door they may lose quite a few valuable sales to Audi, which they won't want.

The MiTo is quite important from a point that it attracts alot of buyers to the brand that may otherwise not have been able to afford an Alfa, so offering both 3 & 5 door is important as it brings as many buyers as possible to Alfa, that might then move onto bigger Alfa's. For example a single male/female may buy the 3 door, but a young couple with the thought of having a child may think 3 door MiTo isn't future-proof enough, but don't need the size/expense of a Giulietta. For them a 5 door would be ideal as it's still compact & affordable, but offers the practicality for one or two small toddlers. If the MiTo provided a good ownership experience, the couple may then move to a Giulietta or Giulia, or maybe even an SUV for the school-run.

I think it's a good idea. A 2 model line-up won't keep Alfa or its dealers going.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
The thing with Alfa is, the MiTo 5-door isn't available until 2013 (maybe) where as the A1, which only came out this year, is going to be sold in 5-door from early 2012. It's annoying how long it takes Alfa to bring models out sometimes, just like the Mito GTA which probably won't happen now anyway. :(

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I agree they should've pulled their finger out. They seem notoriously bad for taking time bringing out new models but particularly in the last couple of years. However, it makes sence that it's easier for Audi as they basically make everything look the same & share dashboard designs/parts across the whole range. Alfa/Fiat always try to make each model very individual, which is sure to take time if done well.

The financial crisis led to Sergio Marchionne postponing most/all new model launches until the environment was such that they'd sell in decent numbers, but it seems theyre also abit scared of launching something that's not good enough, particularly with Alfa. Not sure this can be applied to a 5 door MiTo as it's just the 5 door styling they'd need to spend time on, the rest of the product is in place, but I think at the moment they're simply abit snowed under with trying to get Chrysler & Jeep sorted at a time when Alfa's line-up needs enlarging & Fiat's line-up needs refreshing.

It looks like if it does arrive, it'll coincide with a major refresh of the 3 door model too, which makes sence.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
thing is that if a young couple with children want a small, four door italian supermini there are already the grande punto or the chrysler (lancia) ypsilon, so by the time the five door mito arrives their family may have grown even bigger. personally i think that the mito styling suits a three door design i.e the way the rear window kicks up aston db9 style, i know that alfa will give it guilietta style 'hidden' rear door handles but the lancia ypsilon has these and it still looks clumsy

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
....Aston made the same styling work on their 4 door though. I bet Alfa could!

·
Registered
352 Posts
thing is that if a young couple with children want a small, four door italian supermini there are already the grande punto or the chrysler (lancia) ypsilon, so by the time the five door mito arrives their family may have grown even bigger. personally i think that the mito styling suits a three door design i.e the way the rear window kicks up aston db9 style, i know that alfa will give it guilietta style 'hidden' rear door handles but the lancia ypsilon has these and it still looks clumsy
If it's like in the picture here, I'll be a happy bunny :) :

Alfa Romeo five-door MiTo rendering

however, it had better not be like this :( :

2011 Alfa Romeo MiTo 5 doors version details and photos-Garage Car

Pity it'll be some time 'till we'll know for sure :rolleyes:

Chris

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
flipping heck! if thats the facelifted mito front end i'm keeping mine as long as i can, the current front is marmite but that is just fugly

1 - 20 of 21 Posts