Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the time has come for me to put my 147 out to rest - 10 years 80k and apparently only worth £675!! The car has been fantastic although has cost me a bit over the last decade. I am thinking Mito would love Guilietta but cannot afford. I am going 2nd hand and have spotted a couple I like with the spec I want.

1st Mito 1.4 16v with sunroof and leather interior - £11.500
2nd Mito 1.4 155BHP no sunroof but leather interior - £10.000

Both have low mileage. My heart leans towards the sunroof option but what is your opinion of the difference in engine. Will I really notice a difference. I use the car for work mainly but I do like to give it a good bash down the M4 and the 147 was a belter.

Your opinions much appreciated and love the reivews - very helpful.

Jellybean

·
Registered
389 Posts
Jelly

Which engine do you have in your 147? Comparing them to that will tell you if your going to notice the difference.

I assume the 1.4 16v is the 95bhp model? It must be almost new if its that price. The 95 is ok its acceleration isnt going to blow you away and you have to work it quite hard to get some performance from it. Most ppl seem to get above 40mpg from it as well. It will cruise happily at 80ish without compromising economy to much. The real disadvantage in my view is the lack of torque so hill climbs can be slow if you dont want to thrash the engine.

The 155tb is faster and will be more fun. I assume its older based on the much lower price. I guess they are both veloce so the interiors should be almost identical.

For the money I would get the 155tb ok ul sacrifice some feul efficiency but when you get a chance to open it up you'll be having a lot more fun.

Thats my take on it anyway.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for info. My 147 is 1598cc Lusso and is quite fast. I am heading up to test drive 16v one so will see what is is like on acceleration.
Much appreciated
JB

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Mrs Redmatt has a 95HP 16V MiTo, and it's good, but you do have to 'stir the gearstick' quite a bit to keep it going. On a long run sticking to 70 mph on the motorways I can (just) get over 50mpg brim-to-brim. The 155 will be miles faster in comparison, and would be my choice.

What sort of age and mileage are they? For £11,500, the 16v would need to be either very well specced, or virtually new.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Drive them back to back, and you will notice how quick the 155TB is. The torque is immense for such a small car.
You didn't mention what trim level they're at. You might want to check out the ride quality, as the Veloce is quite bouncy if you live in an area with broken roads.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Jelly

Which engine do you have in your 147? Comparing them to that will tell you if your going to notice the difference.

I assume the 1.4 16v is the 95bhp model? It must be almost new if its that price. The 95 is ok its acceleration isnt going to blow you away and you have to work it quite hard to get some performance from it. Most ppl seem to get above 40mpg from it as well. It will cruise happily at 80ish without compromising economy to much. The real disadvantage in my view is the lack of torque so hill climbs can be slow if you dont want to thrash the engine.

The 155tb is faster and will be more fun. I assume its older based on the much lower price. I guess they are both veloce so the interiors should be almost identical.

For the money I would get the 155tb ok ul sacrifice some feul efficiency but when you get a chance to open it up you'll be having a lot more fun.

Thats my take on it anyway.
Just remember to put the car in D mode when your test driving it as the throttle response in normal mode is dreadfull the car comes alive in d mode. The 155bhp turbo engine is strong and pulls well but also responds well to a remap but mpg is not good for me i just cannot get it to above 32 mpg when driving in town my average is 29 mpg. I have driven a mito sprint 95 bhp 16v and it was nice and got good mpg but you have to drive like your a pensioner, when you rev it and make good use of the gearbox it is fun but the difference in power between both is dramatic.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well have just driven 1.416v and it was a very nice drive. Quite nippy and got to give it a bit of welly so tried out DNA which I liked as it gave an extra bit of oomph. The spec for this car is pretty impressive. 2010 13,377mls, 18" sports alloys, leather interior and sunroof. I have kind of fallen for it but it is £11,700. The other one I was after (155bhp) has now gone so now in a quandry. Do I sacrifice a bit of speed for a lovely car with everything I want or keep looking? Thanks for all your comments but could be heart over head scenario. What do you think of price? JB

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
I went from a 2.0 147 to a 135 MA ( both with sunroof ):lol: The 135 is an amazing pocket rocket :thumbs: it has fewer toys than the 147 but has bags of character and is a very nice place to be even on a long recent Euro run.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Is it this one? 2010 Alfa Romeo MiTo 1400 cc 16V Veloce

The list price for a veloce for the 59 plate 2010 models was £13200 if i remember correctly as we brought our lusso around then and couldnt justify going to the veloce. The extras would prolly bring that upto £15500 i think.

That is a high spec'd car but I dunno if its worth what there asking, not that I want to de value my 59 plate 95. Remember that the first service is due at 18000miles if you go to an indy it will be circa £150 but worth knowing.

There is this 2010 ALFA ROMEO MITO 1.4 TB 155 Veloce 3dr Hatchback

Its got the bose system as well and its a 155tb and its had its first service for only £200 more, its a private seller so prolly some room to knock them down.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Go for the one in-between and go for the MiTo 120 BHP I personally could not live with the 95BHP to to slow!! but the 120BHP lots and lots of talk and a very nippy car but very economical... You will be disappointed by the 95bhp.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Go for the one in-between and go for the MiTo 120 BHP I personally could not live with the 95BHP to to slow!! but the 120BHP lots and lots of talk and a very nippy car but very economical... You will be disappointed by the 95bhp.
i agree, the 95 is the worst engine you can get in a mito, i'd advise 120 aswell, its a far superior car to the 95 in every way but if you really want a 95 i'll sell you my 2010 with 8000 on the clock for under £10000

M

·
0 Posts
Get the 155 the difference is night and day. The 95 doesn't even offer any kind of significant increase in fuel econ. Buy the 155 and you won't regret it

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Now I really do not know what to do. I think I might have to compromise speed for looks - the 95bhp has everything I was looking for including the colour. I checked out the insurance and it is much cheaper than my 10yr old 147. Seems like this little number is very economical BUT I do not want to be disappointed with the drive. Anyone else out there with a 95bhp please tell me it is a great run. Thanks for all the help.
JB

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Pretty hard one to help you with Jellybean! The problem is we don't know what your expectations are, nor do we know your driving style, or what type of driving you do etc etc.

With Mrs RedMatts 95 MiTo, it ain't blindingly fast, thats for sure, but round town it's fun to work it up and down the gears, and it has a nice exhaust note that you don't quite get with the turbos. It's fun in the way an old mini is fun. Not fast but involving, and you have to work for your performance, which makes you feel part of it. However for any motorway work, it's a bit a struggle. It's just outgunned past 50 mph by more or less everything :(

I'd say don't get fixated on that one car. The nice thing about MiTos is that they are selling plenty of them (by Alfas pathetic standards :rolleyes: ) so there will always be another one on the market to have a look at. Certainly don't buy without test driving the other ones, otherwise you'll always be wondering.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Redmatts spot on, the 95 is fun to drive an is involving but it aint quick (compared to the turbos) and as i said before the torque is low. I still love it and am very happy with it.

I posted up that yellow one to show that there are other car out there, considering that will have been approx £2-3k more when new says that the white one is a little over priced imho.

If you really want a sunroof then it appears your chioce is limited from my quick search of autotrader. But theres plenty out there with leather interiors and a choice of pretty much every engine. As suggested be worth looking at a few and testing the different engine.

In the end its gotta be down to what you want from the car.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have a 95 and I love it, commute 460 miles a week on the motorways at 80 all day long and its never let me down, does 40mpg with all the accessories on. One thing you have to notice is that it makes its power and torque quite high up the rev range, the engines a bit Honda-esqe and likes to be worked.

I have also noticed that cruising at 70 is a problem since your out of the power band when you're in 6th gear and thus need to change down to overtake or go up hills however if you do 80 it's no issue since the car has the torque then.

M

·
0 Posts
test drive both.

I had the 95 in a GPunto Sporting. Very nice car and if i won the Euromillions I would track it down and buy it back. My plan for buying a Mito was to get a top spec car with the 95 engine. But after driving the 155TB I had to get a turbo car.

Its just soo much easier to drive/live with. Little things like not having to change gear as often when on the motorways/ going up and down big hills. Plus if you do decide you want to drive quickly or actually overtake something, the 155 works really well for that also.

I managed around 320 to a tank before the fuel light would come on with the 95. With the 120TB, we get 300-305 before the fuel light comes on.

I can't see any benefit to the 95 over the 155 to be frank, other than insurance. It depends on personal preference i guess. If the 95 is the exact spec you are looking for then I could understand why you would choose it. But I really think you should test drive both just to be sure:thumbs:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts