Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

Just joined the forums (intro in newbie section) and im going to pick up my new mito on friday but after reading a little bit i saw something about hillholder? This was something i had heard no mention of throughout the process of buying the car but i was wondering...

Is hillholder a standard feature on the mito?

And btw...is the gear shift indicator standard too?

Cheers in advance

·
Registered
461 Posts
No idea what a gear shift inicator anyway but the Hill holder I believe is standard in all cars and if you live in hill locations it's really handy! :)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow superb thats going to be very handy for me. The shift indicator is the bit in the driver info system that tells u the best time to shift up ;)

·
Registered
352 Posts
Thanks for the info. CANNOT WAIT to get this car!
I find the hill-holder's a bit unpredictable in its operation- it's definitely useful
on steeper gradients, but my Mito will gently roll on lesser slopes when it doesn't
engage :confused: I'm an ancient driver so usually use the handbrake anyhow!

The shift indicator isn't very useful as it only works in 'normal' mode :rolleyes:

You'll soon find the car's so much better in 'dynamic' mode that 'normal' will
become redundant (at least if it's you who's driving :D )

I'm sure you're going to really like it- most Alfisti seem prepared to overlook
their cars' imperfections for their sheer beauty and characterful driving :inlove:

Chris

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your reply Chris. I cant stop looking at the picture of it, showing everyone in the office lol. Do u have to do anything to engage the hillhold or does it detect the gradient and turn on?

C

·
0 Posts
I think the gearshift indicator is only on the multiairs so a 155 won't have it. It also doesn't show in D so I rarely see mine.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I think the gearshift indicator is only on the multiairs so a 155 won't have it. It also doesn't show in D so I rarely see mine.
AFAIK it's on all UK models (my little diesel's got one, FWIW :rolleyes:)

The hill-holder's automatic, it senses the gradient (but only engages if > 5%)
As I said, I don't trust it on mine- though it's handy when it does work :)

Chris

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I think they are both useful

I drive to and from work in "n" mode, and get disel like economy, the shift indicator helps as it just reminds you to change, especialy when you switch off on boring drives.

It doesnt show in "D" mode as who is going for economy then, more about fun!

on steap hills where hill halt is usefull it works every time. on minor slopes you shouldnt need it anyway.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
The Hillholder holds the footbrake on for around 5 to 10 seconds or until you engage the clutch. It is released either by a timer or by a torque sensor - whichever disengages first. It is a feature of the Bosch ABS/Vehicle Stability system.
I believe the manual states it operates on hills of 6% gradient or more - hence it will not engage on minor slopes.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
My 09 155tb never showed a shift light so I don't believe it is on every model but once your driving a 155 in D a shift light there or not is irrelevant as the car urges you to play and you will soon learn when to shift at max torque ;-) add an induction filter and the turbo noise may well encourage you more :lol: ...... Of course this's all to be done safely within the speed limits and appropriate for the road conditions! Enjoy the new drive !!!

·
Registered
435 Posts
The 155TB DOES NOT have a shift light. Not as far as I know.

But honestly... you don't need a shift light for the 155TB. Trust me.;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
The hillholder is brilliant,
I took my driving test in my 120tb, see thus:

Examiner: "Please pullover in a safe place on this VERY steep hill"
Me "OK" - Pulls over. This hill was vertical practically, at a guess, 79degrees.
Examiner: "Pull away"

I have hill hold… didn't roll back an inch!! Thanks Alfa!!

I passed.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
lol well arent u a crafty character danny boy. Picking her up tomorrow...counting the hours. Feel like a 5 year old on christmas eve! Was looking at K&N induction kit for her aswell, would that put the insurance up? Nice noise? :p

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
marty, each to their own but i would go for a new panel filter, rather then a whole new induction kit.

it keeps it looking stock under the bonnet, no loud induction roar (which sounds good but do you always want to be hearing it?) also i cant see you needing to declare a new panel filter on insurance? (i might be wrong)

a panel filter will give a better noise but not too loud.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for ur input towney will definetly look into this. I dont mind if its a little louder i just dont want to be 'that guy' flying around at 3am with his citroen saxo screaming for mercy. I dont want it to sound 'chavvy' if its a nice refined deep sound im cool with that ;)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Don't think the 'Hillholder' has ever worked on my Mito.
But then, we haven't got any big hills in Lincolnshire :lol:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts