Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Looking at buying a new Alfa Mito.

The deals on the 0.9 twin air seem pretty good but just want some advice before shelling out all that money.

I need the car to for travelling to and from work probably covering about 200 miles a week so want something reliable?
Are they known to have any common faults?
Currently drive a Mini Cooper which is nippy enough so how does this 105bhp Mito feel?

Would also use the car for long motorway trips once a month.
I'm just worried that the little engine won't last

All suggestions welcome and advice needed

Thanks ?

·
Registered
231 Posts
I can't comment on the longevity of the engine as I only had one for a week or two as a courtesy car but I have to say very nice and nippy around town even 3 up with luggage.

As for the motorway I found it more than ample and even able to do the odd overtake if you stirred the box and put your foot down.
Mpg was surprisingly good considering I wasn't hanging around at all.

Best idea is test drive and see if it suits you.
I know there are a few owners on here who love them though.

Does sound like a lawnmower though.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I've had them as courtesy cars a few times.
I find them fine on the motorway, not underpowered, cruises ok and I wouldn't say any more noisy or droning than a Fiesta I had as a courtesy car.
Quite fun, Mito seats are generally quite soft but you may or may not find them comfortable. First gear is pretty short so you bounce of the limiter pretty quickly, and you'll find yourself in dynamic mode most of the time.
The uconnect stereo is easier to use than the equivalent touchscreen ones that Toyota and Vauxhall have - the hard buttons and knobs with positive feedback are easier to find without looking.
The deals at the moment really do look good too. I'd be quite keen for the other half to get one. I might even want to borrow it...

·
Registered
17 Posts
I went from a 2004 Mini Cooper (first car...great thought...horrible idea) to a brand new mito just at the start of the month and I couldn't have been happier.
I've got the 0.9 and it is pretty much perfect for going to and from work, you can have a bit of fun on the motorway or back roads using dynamic mode making it drive and pull away a little closer to the mini but personally I don't feel a huge difference between the 1.6 of my mini and this other than pulling out of junctions.
Seems far more suited to driving to and from work for me anyway cause you don't have as hungry an engine and you've also got stop/start which some people seem to hate but so far it's been pretty good for me.

Big plus with the MiTo over the Mini as well would be the road noise being much quieter and it's a far comfier ride along any road I've been on so far.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seem like most are happy then,
I was just so worried about that tiny engine I'll probs be averaging around 12000 a year ideally would like it last 10years!
An exactly same as me mini for me first car at 17 and although I've loved every minute it's cost me a fortune in the past 2 years in repairs and fuel so think it's time for a new un

Are there any problems that are pretty common ?

Thanks for replies
??

·
Registered
62 Posts
Had mine since September last year, 2nd twinair car for us but first Alfa. I love it, as others have said the engine is fine for normal driving, don't buy if you want as fast car though. Had some issues with cold starts a couple of times but goes with accelerator pressed. Got issue with heater making ticking noises, booked in March so not sure what that is yet but sounds like something catching, maybe a wire? Recently had a baby and discovered the boot is not very pram friendly and won't fit much else in with it so bear that in mind if you're making plans!
Even with the minor issues I would recommend a Mito over any other similar car, for me there's nothing else as pretty or unique.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi,

I have a 2014 sportiva, I would make a couple of points;

1) its not quick, but, get a tuning box ( I have bluespark) and its OK
2) First gear is far too short
3) Engine is very much love/hate
4) 18" alloys might look cool, but ride is harsh with themnaround town.
5) with cruise control on its a great mile muncher
6) consumption can be great (65mpg) or not (30mpg) depending on driving style.

Question is would I get one again, simple answer is no. Compared to my giulietta the engine grates slightly .

·
Registered
85 Posts
Does sound like a lawnmower though.
I agree, I only test drove a 0.9 Twin Air a couple of weeks ago and as soon as I set off I wondered what the noise was, I knew it was the engine really, but was quietly chuckling about it sounding like that, which for me spoils it. Not that I expected roar and grunt etc but that noise really was odd, I had not gone to showroom to look at that car and wanted a 1.4 but this is what the dealer wanted me to look at and so I had a very quick drive in it. When I do have more money for a Mito I would not look at this one again, but that's just personal taste.

Have to say though once your'e moving at a steady pace I heard nothing and it did cruise along nicely on a bypass and it felt nice and smooth. I am hoping that the 1.4 models don't sound like that.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I agree, I only test drove a 0.9 Twin Air a couple of weeks ago and as soon as I set off I wondered what the noise was, I knew it was the engine really, but was quietly chuckling about it sounding like that, which for me spoils it. Not that I expected roar and grunt etc but that noise really was odd, I had not gone to showroom to look at that car and wanted a 1.4 but this is what the dealer wanted me to look at and so I had a very quick drive in it. When I do have more money for a Mito I would not look at this one again, but that's just personal taste.

Have to say though once your'e moving at a steady pace I heard nothing and it did cruise along nicely on a bypass and it felt nice and smooth. I am hoping that the 1.4 models don't sound like that.
it is that initial get up and go / idle that sounds very suspect, and its all engine noise.

I have to say from owning a 60plate 1.4 95hp the power difference was very noticeable in the twin air, along with a much smoother ride and alot less road noise. all things i think they sorted in the "face lift".

The 1.4 models are silent in comparison.

·
Registered
85 Posts
it is that initial get up and go / idle that sounds very suspect, and its all engine noise.

I have to say from owning a 60plate 1.4 95hp the power difference was very noticeable in the twin air, along with a much smoother ride and alot less road noise. all things i think they sorted in the "face lift".

The 1.4 models are silent in comparison.
So you mean the twin air is better on road noise and a smoother ride than the 1.4? Thinking back that odd noise was only when l first moved off and l didn't notice road noise. I think a longer test would perhaps be better. Thanks and when l can afford a new one I'll try to take a longer test in both for proper comparisons.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts