Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!! It's been a while!! Been away toiling for three months, so i hope you're all well!

I made a cataclysmic error when going away - i entrusted my car to the Mrs! Ooooh dear!
Anyways, so on my return i had to deal with the usual.... no oil whatsoever - bone dry, no water in the washer, and i think the best tyre had 17 psi in it!
Anyways - in addition to those, the drives side headlamp was gone. So, i've made a trip to halfrauds for a replacement.

As we all know, it's fiddly work getting those bulbs out! The first problem i had was that the metal assembly holding the bulb in completely came out (with the bulb in it still). After i fixed that back in place and inserted the new bulb i tested things out and all was ok! So, put the cover back on, dropped the bonnet and................

this happened..... (see pic!)
Any suggestions for a remedy lol!! i can't think of one, save for dismantling most of the car and trying to pop it back in place!!
Thing is, i have to go out at 4am the next two mornings on big drives - with a bulb blasting full on at oncoming drivers!!
:-/

Why do these things always have to break so easily!

Cheers guys! Great to be back (sort of - if you get my meaning!)

Attachments

·
Registered
666 Posts
Is the bulb still connected to the wires? Looks like it isn't which is good and bad.
If it's still connected you might be able to pull it out depending on the size of the hole it goes through.
If it's not connected, at least it won't be blinding anyone.

Looks like you might be having to take the headlight unit out :(

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi PM,
Thanks for the reply. The bulb itself is in place and now secure.

The bit lying in the lamp housing in the pic is the defuser type bit that the bulb points in to (if that makes sense). It pops into a hole directly below the bulb. I can grab it with some long nose pliers, but not enough to manouvre it back into the hole :eek:

·
Registered
912 Posts
Bugger! I'd tape over the headlight until I have time to dismantle it. Sorry, can't be more help than that.

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
Oh dear.. Not good. That's a bumper off job to remove the headlight to repair.

I recommend you use the fog lights only for the next few days. At least in the 147 they are in the main headlight unit.

It may even be worthwhile just buying a new headlight to exchange quickly, repair the old one then sell it on ebay.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cheers guys! I feared this was coming! I had to cancel my early morning trip today, but i have to take the mrs to the airport at 4 tomorrow, with a nice 14 mile single carriageway to head down! Hopefully theres no one around!
It looks totally simple to fix, but i need to get the light out, and then in bits!
I've had a look on elearn, and can't find any instructions on how to remove it - i had guessed i'd have to remove everything but the engine to get it out!

·
Registered
23,458 Posts
undertray, 3 bolts either side inside the wing, drop the bumper a few inches. One bolt at the bottom of the headlight, 2 on top.

PS, did you see my comment about using the fogs?

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Op,
Yeah, i saw about the fogs. So, just fogs and sides on? Plod won't like that much - will i be able to see well enough?

My undertray is already missing in action. 3 bolts either side, are these under the nose im guessing? The bolt at the bottom of the light is then exposed by the dropped bumper? I don't recall seeing 2 on top though :\.

Will i then be able to open up the light casing to fish this bit out and refit?

Thanks for the info :) Miffed at how flimsy the bulb bracket was - as mentioned - the brass ring that sits on the bulb hole holding the bulb in just came off in my hand! I had to stretch and pull it back in to its place! The mrs is using the car right now so i'm wondering if thats still in place when she gets back!

·
Registered
23,458 Posts
Hi Op,
Yeah, i saw about the fogs. So, just fogs and sides on? Plod won't like that much - will i be able to see well enough?

My undertray is already missing in action. 3 bolts either side, are these under the nose im guessing? The bolt at the bottom of the light is then exposed by the dropped bumper? I don't recall seeing 2 on top though :\.

Will i then be able to open up the light casing to fish this bit out and refit?

Thanks for the info :) Miffed at how flimsy the bulb bracket was - as mentioned - the brass ring that sits on the bulb hole holding the bulb in just came off in my hand! I had to stretch and pull it back in to its place! The mrs is using the car right now so i'm wondering if thats still in place when she gets back!
yes just fogs and sides... Plod wont be able to tell as they arent separate units..

Lift the bonnet and you will see the 2 on top..

For the headlight you will have to take it out and try and shake the cap out the back of the unit... I dont have access to a 147 at the moment to look at the assembly.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not sure shaking it out will do any good. It's on a stick (i think its visible in the pic) which pops into a hole directly below the bulb (when looking at the light from the front).

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just checked out another couple of posts ref removing the lights. Is it really needed to remove the wheels/arches etc to drop the bumper a bit to get at the light bolts?
Hope not as have no axle stands (and a gravelled driveway to boot!)!

Need to attempt this though, driving through the forest at 4 this morning was slightly scary with the fogs on and a load of oncoming lorries :eek:

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Right guys, jobs a goodun - here's what i did removal wise...

Pop the lid, and remove the 4 torx screws along the top of the bumper. Next remove the 3 torx under the nose.

Remove wheel arch lining. 2 phillips at the front (outside and lower middle), one at the back in the middle, one front inside, and one either side of the suspension at the back. Needed some prying out, but got it out in the end (note - i don't think this would have come out had i had anything larger than 15'' wheels! Jack time!)

Inside the front wing, 2 more torx, in easy reach.

This let the bumper hang - just enough to remove the two lower bolts holding the light in. With the light out, i popped in one of the top torx screws to hold the bumper steady.

The light fix itself was immensly fiddly as you can imagine! But, all sorted now and all back together.

On the plus side, only one of the bolts holding the bumper in snapped (that will need drilling out at a later date!)!

On a side note, the original bulb failure was not reported by the car. A sidelight that went a few months back was. Anyone had something similar happen?

Cheers all, and thanks for help/suggestions!

Attachments

·
Registered
23,458 Posts
The dipped and high beams aren't in the circuitry for detection of failure... Not sure why.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
just read all of this thread.. This is the sort of thing that gives me Alfa-based nightmares.
well done though..!

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey Rushy,
Yeah, typical basic problem that required a mountain of work! It's part of the reason we have these things though right? I was surprised though at how easy (if you could call it that) a job it was - start to end including fixing the lamp took around 3 hours - much less than (from previous experiences) i was expecting! :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts