Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
heya guys and gals,
one checking my latest threads and posts would see that i had an issue with unidentified knock from suspension,no garage could detect what was loose or knocking in suspension,everything was tight and solid as i changed upper and lower arms,track rods and rod ends and ARB links(hunting for that knocking) and car even passed the nct with that knock(the inspector spent a good while to see what was knocking tho:biglaugh:)
about a week ago during another inspection i noticed that lower control arm middle bush rubber was deformed,i decided to give it a try and there's what i discovered:

some manufacturers use lots of metal and little rubber when making those kind of bushes,
the inner sleeve(see pics) was metal,housing another metal tube for bolt attaching shock fork to control arm,
under the constant pressure weak layer of rubber got deformed on the side it was getting pressure from allowing metal components to move excessively and cause knocking when the car was under load at pull off/driving slowly on uneven roads/turning either side on low speeds/braking fast,

after changing those bushes knocking is gone and car drives absolutely fine.
someone might say that there's nothing wrong with metal sleeves and they are there to guarantee longlife for the bush but the fact is that in my car it turned up to be source of problem that was driving me bananas for few month :censored:

if you decide to do this job please note that it is very piggy job,
you will need following tools:

at least 1.5m thick steel threaded bar with loads of nuts
32 mm as shown on pic(if it is any bigger it wont fit in) and at least 36mm sockets for pressing the bush in place
hacksaw blades,
you will have to knock out the washer from either side of metal tube(see pic) in order to slide the tube out of housing,hammer and screwdriver will do the job,
use the drill to cut the inner sleeve out,
carefully cut the outer sleeve with hacksaw blades,once you have it cut you can easily pull the sleeve out using above mentioned sockets

when pressing the bush in

always use 2 nuts on each side otherwise they will get rounded up,
during pressing the bush in every time you feel extreme resistance you will have to undo the nuts and realign sockets,otherwise bar will snap,
grease the bush outer sleeve and housing before pressing in,

you do not need to take the control arm out,this can be done with car jacked up.
align new bush exactly in place as old bush(take measurements),

i hope it helps,anyway i got them sorted out :thumbup:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I am a bit confused. In your post you start by saying you have changed upper and lower arms. Yet the culprit seems to be the bush in the lower arm?

I have a knock that no one can find on my wife's car but want to be sure I understand you post before checking or trying this.

I trust your bar is 15mm not 1.5m.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
i do not insist that those bushes will be everyone's issue but in my case it was,
the lower control arm i bought was MAPCO brand,
it started knocking few weeks after fitting those arms,
as for changing the arms,first i changed lower ones as passenger side arm ball joint was buggered,
so i changed both,for a while it was fine and after few weeks it started knocking,
hunting it down i changed the upper ones rods and rod ends,links,
i was about to change shocks and shock mounts when i found the faulty bushes

the bar--1.5 meter long as you will have to make few smaller ones and you will break good few of them i guarantee :scratchchin: ::):

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Thank you for clarifying.

Yes I realise it won't be everyone's problem but it sounds like it is worth a close look and try. Where did you get the bushes? Part No please.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i bought them from misterauto,
TBH i can not guarantee 100% if they have plastic tube instead of metal but my previous lower arms i changed(balljoint gone on one) have been TRW brand,before doing the bushes on the car i exercised on TRW arms(trying to figure out how to do them) and on those bushes the metal tube for bolt was sitting in plastic housing ,so i assume that all those bushes from TRW are the same,but saying again that i did not dismantle the new bushes to make sure the plastic sleeve was inside.
anyway,visually they are similar with lots of rubber,
the MAPCO bushes had so little rubber on that i was straggling to drill them through with 4mm drill bit.
also i have to note that nevertheless the balljoint was gone on TRW arm the rubber parts where in excellent condition and the middle bushes were rock solid whereas on MAPCO arms i could move the bolt housing tube with the screwdriver,

i hope that helps mate,it is hard job to do but worth of trying,
if you decide to do it do one side first(if you have both sides knocking like mine) and check it out,it can be something else,it took me 6 hours to change both sides

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
then try micksgarage,i have seen these bushes on their site too but not TRW

1 - 9 of 9 Posts