Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

i have the black smoke control module engine failure problem on my 2004 GT.

i stripped the EGR valve off and cleaned it up, and it looks like someone has been in there before as the gaskets are missing, what effect will this have on the car? and does anyone know the part numbers for the gaskets? are there any options etc?

thanks, JuvUK

·
Premium Member
2,038 Posts
The gaskets should be there really, just make sure you don't overtighten the EGR back up or you can strip the ally threads. You can get a modified gasket which restricts flow and helps prevent all the crud getting into the inlet.

You can find the parts here also: Alfa Romeo GT EGR valve

:thumbs:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The gaskets should be there really, just make sure you don't overtighten the EGR back up or you can strip the ally threads. You can get a modified gasket which restricts flow and helps prevent all the crud getting into the inlet.

You can find the parts here also: Alfa Romeo GT EGR valve

:thumbs:
thank you :)

would the missing gaskets cause the symptoms my car has?

·
Premium Member
2,038 Posts
Depends really, did you have any performance issues?

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Unlikely. Missing gaskets are going to leak exhaust gas out into the engine bay, which is likely to be fairly obvious, showing tell-tale soot around the leak.

However a missing gasket might be a clue that someone a bit useless has had trouble with the EGR and attempted to clean it up. If they lost the gasket/s - the OE version/s of which is a thin metal plate - then they probably didn't fix the EGR valve very well. It may be repairable (search the forum for how), or may need replacing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unlikely. Missing gaskets are going to leak exhaust gas out into the engine bay, which is likely to be fairly obvious, showing tell-tale soot around the leak.

However a missing gasket might be a clue that someone a bit useless has had trouble with the EGR and attempted to clean it up. If they lost the gasket/s - the OE version/s of which is a thin metal plate - then they probably didn't fix the EGR valve very well. It may be repairable (search the forum for how), or may need replacing.
thanks, i cleaned the EGR valve myself, tbh these was very little soot in there, and the valve itself moves very freely.

so now i am concerned it may be something else causing the black smoke, my performance seems ok, my MPG is 38ish which seems low?

i tried to clean it out by using a higher rev for a while but that just brought on a motor control engine failure warning :( after starting and running the car driving normally 3 times the EML went off again, but i am now worried if there maybe something else wrong

·
Registered
31 Posts
From experience on a few GTs I would say that it either your top or bottom turbo hose. The rubber tends to crack over time and loses a little pressure meaning the fuel doesn't get burnt completely causing black smoke.

Get someone to rev the engine quite hard whilst you look at the big turbo hose on top and I almost guarantee it will expand and you will see a small crack somewhere.

Replace them with silicone hoses. (About £80 for both if you shop around)

If it's only a small crack performance may not seem affected but that will be enough for black smoke!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From experience on a few GTs I would say that it either your top or bottom turbo hose. The rubber tends to crack over time and loses a little pressure meaning the fuel doesn't get burnt completely causing black smoke.

Get someone to rev the engine quite hard whilst you look at the big turbo hose on top and I almost guarantee it will expand and you will see a small crack somewhere.

Replace them with silicone hoses. (About £80 for both if you shop around)

If it's only a small crack performance may not seem affected but that will be enough for black smoke!
thanks, i will take a look :) I know the bottom one was replaced with a silicone hose last year (they wear through?)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just a quick update, i bought a new EGR valve with seals and went to fit it, i have noticed that the 2 rears bolts have had the threads stripped so i need to get the block helicoiled before i go any further, anyone know what the torque settings are for these bolts?

thanks, JuvUK

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
just a quick update, i bought a new EGR valve with seals and went to fit it, i have noticed that the 2 rears bolts have had the threads stripped so i need to get the block helicoiled before i go any further, anyone know what the torque settings are for these bolts?

thanks, JuvUK
Easy to strip the threads especially if the gasket is tired.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Torque? Not much. But mild steel bolt into aluminium alloy thread is bad metallurgy. The slightest bit of corrosion and the alloy thread will seize to the bolt and strip as you undo the bolt. This sort of nonsense is easily prevented by using copper grease on assembly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts