Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I am considering buying a '01 TS, imported from italy.

The owner has 2 red electronic keys and 1 valet key. No "Master/Brown" key, no code card. The owner says he never needed them and never got them in the first place.

Now, I have seen conflicting arguments about this. I have also read that the problem was only with phase-1 models.

Is it possible that some models do not have that master key or code card ?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Should have a Brown master key.......... If you ever need to buy a replacement key, the code has to be taken off the Brown one .

Cheers to All
Peter

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I will only have a problem if I lose both keys ?

What happens when battery of the key dies, does it loses it's "code" ?

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
So I will only have a problem if I lose both keys ?

What happens when battery of the key dies, does it loses it's "code" ?

As far as I'm aware there is no battery in the key......... I guess theres some "eprom" circuit in there..........

I take it you are talking about the key in the picture ????

Alfa key.jpg

Cheers to All
Peter

·
Registered
37,341 Posts
There is a small chip inside the key that contains a "Code".

Basically you buy a new key with a different code then use the master to program this key so that the immobiliser recognises it and wil allow the car to start.

However a locksmith (timpsons is one) can actually read the code on the original (non master) key, and program a new key with the same code.

It will then start the car once the blade is cut..

The only other time you might need a master is if the code unit throws a mental and forgets all of your keys.

·
Registered
333 Posts
keys can be cloned and nowadays even at many local hardware stores for duplicates.Should the worst happen others will tell you of companies that restore your original system so it can read the key or you can easily purchase free running ecu units that do not require coded keys.By checking out these forums re code problems or keys etc im sure all the questions can be answered.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts