Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

Glad to find this forum because i feel a bit lost. I just checked many other forum sites and find a lot of threads here about MultiAir and related issues. May be someone could help me to shed some light on my problem.

Let me tell you to whole story from scratch. My car is a year 2013 production Alfa Romeo Giulietta (940) 1.4L / 170 Hp. The issue appeared in one of my long journeys. I'm not certain about it but i believe that she was around 64K (in KM) mileage when this problem arose first time. The amber color engine symbol appeared on dashboard and engine started to shaking suddenly. A warning message appeared on dash board which says, "DNA mods offline". I thought that i just got broken something and i pulled over. Clearly there was no sign of anything broken. There was no liquid leak, no broken part except a weird noise coming from engine department. I turned off the engine and call my mechanic and told him what was happened. My mechanic has a private mechanic shop for Alfa Romeos only he is a good one. He said "turn the engine on again" and he asked me to check the dash board whether the engine light still there. I cranked the engine and it started flawless. The engine sign was vanished and did not appeared again until next 200Km(ish). Same problem happened again 4 times at that day intermittently and i used turn off/on method when engine indicator appeared on dash board. Since i was on the way, i change my route to next official Alfa Romeo dealer/mechanic and explain them what was happened. They inspected my car with a diagnostic tool which was looking like an oversized big tablet. They said the engine has an error message which says "The ignition error on first and fourth cylinder". I asked them to an explanation about real reason because the error message was not self describing much. They told me to leave the car there for 10 days and also added that they'll look into it to find out the reason. In a certain point they unwillingly said that issue could be solved only if i pay a small fortune like $4000-5000. Obviously i thought that could be solved one or two days but they insisted in 10 days. I did not believe them because they seemed like to not have enough experience to diagnose the problem. On the other hand, i tought that i can move on to next Alfa mechanic with help of turning off and on method, so i choosed not to stay there.

I could not find any other dealer/mechanic during next 2 weeks. When i headed back to Istanbul i went to my mechanic and explain the whole story. They had same diagnostic tools and connected it to OBD port on car. The same error message appeared on tool screen and mechanic said this issue could be related with Multi Air unit. After this they check electrical parts of the car, clean the Multi Air and check units condition. Besides, they replaced Multi Air filter, ignition plugs and engine oil. But all these efforts could not help and i faced same problem a lot of times when i went out for long trips. Since all those efforts and new parts not much helped, we finally decided to replace most important, most expensive, most related part, the Multi Air unit. On the October of 2018 we replaced the whole unit and i hit another long trip. After almost 200Km, same problem occurred again. Not as frequently as it was before but it happened couple of times intermittently. The error message read on OBD port never changed and every single time it gave same error message with same faulty behavior.

Before going further, let me tell you one more detail about the issue. Two months ago, my car's safety check certificate has expired and i went to renew just before it expired. There was a device which inspects exhaust emission and i passed this check but i realized something strange. While i was there, the control technician asked me to increase rev of the engine up until 2500 rpm and keep it 1 minute long. While i was keeping the rev at 2500 rpm, the engine sign suddenly appeared and engine started to shake again. Turned off and on again and the engine sign vanished. After all checks done, i went to home and i tried to trigger the famous error by myself. As you probably guess, now i can able to trigger this problem with keeping engine revs around 2500 rpm. All i have to do is put the gear on "n" or "p" and keep the rev of engine around of 2500 rpm. But it didn't happen each time i tried. By the way, when i tried to trigger the problem on highway with using same method, it did not happen. I've recently talked about this with my mechanic and he said that could be the related with the throttle.

I'm here for to asking help. I do not know where to look and what to do. Can any one help me to put some light on this issue ?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Misfires on Cylinder 1 & 4 with no other problems, and errors caused by plugs/coils/injectors eliminated, can be caused by the timing parameters of the Phonic Wheel going out of sync.

You need to have a "Phonic Wheel learn reset" carried out.

The Phonic Wheel is your Crankshaft Pulley, you will notice it has square bumps around the circumference. The sensor mounted next to it is the RPM sensor and it uses the bumps on the pulley to measure crankshaft RPM & position. If this goes out of tolerance it needs to be re-calibrated/reset.

You will need to have it done by a workshop with dedicated Alfa/Fiat diagnostic software.

You need to have the Phonic Wheel/Crankshaft Pulley checked as well to see if the Rubber Insert running around the middle of the Pulley is failing or coming loose, it will also cause this issue.

Reactions: jinhitman

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi bazzbazz

Thank you for quick response. I'm gonna schedule service rendezvous for tomorrow with my mechanic. If i understand correctly, i have to find a official mechanic shop for this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi bazzbazz

Thank you for quick response. I'm gonna schedule service rendezvous for tomorrow with my mechanic. If i understand correctly, i have to find a official mechanic shop for this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We applied phonic wheel relearn steps and i could not trigger the problem yesterday. I'm going to test throughout a week and will share the results here.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Hopefully the issue is resolved, good luck and enjoy your Alfa.

·
Registered
35,471 Posts
There was a thread on repairing the MA unit a few years back. Your engine may have a loose actuator and this will not repair itself. Back in 2012 ,when service intervals were too long , my MA misfired on startup when it’d done 15000 miles on the original oil. I switched it off and got the car taken to the dealer for an oil change and it was fine at 65000 miles. The oil does an important job but if the MA unit is causing a misfire it’s not going to get better, in my opinion.

·
Registered
652 Posts
The oil does an important job but if the MA unit is causing a misfire it’s not going to get better, in my opinion.
If you read his post fully you will see that they have already replaced the MultiAir Unit with a new one, and the problem persisted. And, as also posted, there were no other indicators/codes to suggest it was the MA unit, and there are several things that can cause a misfire other than a failing MA unit.

For example, oh say the Phonic Wheel needing re-calibration. :rolleyes:
;):):)

Reactions: jinhitman

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello again,

I travelled almost 2K KM with my car and the famous erroneous behavior didn't happen again. Looks like it is solved. Thank you all for your help. I really appreciate your sincere responses.

·
Registered
652 Posts
One is glad to be of service . . . .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts