Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have been contemplating stepping back into the world of the mighty 166 (see my other post about this!). I really want a 2.0 Facelift in superb condition and with sensible miles as I do a fair amount myself.

I was looking at one on Ebay a few weeks ago but it sold. I don't normally faff about once I've made a decision but I should have gone to look at it. Everything (it seemed) looked spot on about the car in every way and now it's sold so I'm now sulking like a teenager!

I really get a 'bee in my bonnet' about these things so am kicking myself as these cars don't come up very often in such obviously superb condition. DAMN and BLAST!

Venting my frustration and upset on here to see if anyone else has done the same thing and potentially missed out on the perfect car!

I guess some things are meant to be but I doubt another 166 FL will come up in as stunning condition as this one with all the right bits, spec, colour and mileage again - or not for a very long time anyway.

There is one on Ebay right now but it's done a lot of leg and the interior looks a bit tatty. Definitely not what I'm looking for after seeing the above mentioned example online a while ago. What a silly boy! :censored::furious:

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
We all have regrets I'm sure Unkle Munkle-not just about 166s we might have missed!
I'm sure you'll get one

Reactions: Pomeo

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We all have regrets I'm sure Unkle Munkle-not just about 166s we might have missed!
I'm sure you'll get one
Yes, I know. There's worse going on in the world to worry about. Just annoyed at my own lack of decision on this one! Am sure one will appear one day...

Reactions: Pomeo

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think I bought that 166 you were looking at.

I wouldn't kick yourself too much, it looks great but I have warning lights galore, broken trim, cracked foglight.

A cracked rim which will be a total ******* to replace. I'm replacing the MAF tomorrow and the cambelt change is due despite what he said in the advert.

Shame looked good in the photos, still once you've gone all the way to Bolton its hard to say no.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I wouldn't kick yourself too much, it looks great but I have warning lights galore, broken trim, cracked foglight.

A cracked rim which will be a total ******* to replace. I'm replacing the MAF tomorrow and the cambelt change is due despite what he said in the advert.

Shame looked good in the photos, still once you've gone all the way to Bolton its hard to say no.
Not sure - the one advertised was in South Devon I believe in the bronzy grey colour? Is this the same car? Advertised as beautiful, cherished etc.

·
Registered
10,943 Posts
I'm sure you'll get one
Speak fur yersell wise one.:thumbup:

WELL thers the Dr's Facelift 166 fray years ago well below the "Book" price them (Hearse is still red raw fray kicking masell), The Stratstone one (That went all Veloce) , SELESPEEDS (Still cry o'er that), Dougies Facelift one that went tay Ireland IIRC (Still weep o'er that butt knott as much as sele's) Them I look oot at Pomeo, Lacey Lucy and TIa and think how lucky I am till SHE starts again:censored:

I know of one for sale TI spec but its not particularly cheap I don't think.
Is that the Dundonian one?

:yikes: Remember seeing Tia fur the first time back end oot. My man says you look disappointed. No says I. I have three like that. 9I walked roon the front ) and says NOW THATS WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR.

I was like that 777 after flying one way from Glasgow to Bradford.
BUTT Regrets.....Nane at awe.

Pomeo

·
Registered
178 Posts

Went all the way to Northern Ireland for mine and although saw the issues still bought it. So know what you mean.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hi all,

I have been contemplating stepping back into the world of the mighty 166 (see my other post about this!). I really want a 2.0 Facelift in superb condition and with sensible miles as I do a fair amount myself.

I was looking at one on Ebay a few weeks ago but it sold. I don't normally faff about once I've made a decision but I should have gone to look at it. Everything (it seemed) looked spot on about the car in every way and now it's sold so I'm now sulking like a teenager!

I really get a 'bee in my bonnet' about these things so am kicking myself as these cars don't come up very often in such obviously superb condition. DAMN and BLAST!

Venting my frustration and upset on here to see if anyone else has done the same thing and potentially missed out on the perfect car!

I guess some things are meant to be but I doubt another 166 FL will come up in as stunning condition as this one with all the right bits, spec, colour and mileage again - or not for a very long time anyway.

There is one on Ebay right now but it's done a lot of leg and the interior looks a bit tatty. Definitely not what I'm looking for after seeing the above mentioned example online a while ago. What a silly boy! :censored::furious:
I am certain the one you saw was a dark grey model that was up for something like £3500. It looked immaculate in the photos, with an almost unblemished interior. It was a Lusso as I recall. Given the premium in price for its supposed condition, I am guessing it went to an enthusiast. Hopefully he/she will turn up on here !

·
Registered
211 Posts

I thought it looked good value for the price, but admittedly I only saw the ad and not the actual car. I assume we are talking about a grey 2.0 Lusso ? The ad was phrased in a way that sounded like the clutch had been done recently, but maybe not the cambelt. If it's any consolation, I paid more for my 2.0 Ti with similar mileage and had to do the cambelt. At this end of the market, any ten year old large exec is going to need some remedial work. So far my lost of jobs since September has included cambelt, engine thermostat, two tyres, repair seat bolster, and fix the gear linkage. I still think it's money well spent on a sorted 166 that I intend to keep until the cambelt goes. Good luck with yours !

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sorry for the false alarm guys!

Mine was not in Devon it was in Bolton!

Same colour car and a 2.0 Lusso but I got mine for £1200 in the end!

But I totally agree, this is now my third 166 and fixing all of the issues is half the fun!

Gives another excuse to be trawling ebay for things!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Sorry for the false alarm guys!

Mine was not in Devon it was in Bolton!

Same colour car and a 2.0 Lusso but I got mine for £1200 in the end!

But I totally agree, this is now my third 166 and fixing all of the issues is half the fun!

Gives another excuse to be trawling ebay for things!
You did well. As I recall this was originally up for £1995, and then seemed to drop by £100 every couple of weeks.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
Unkle Munkle from AROC Driver
Might already be sold

Attachments

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1 - 17 of 17 Posts