Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Mismatched Giulia Alloys

841 19
Hi all

Newbie here. Just want to pick some brains. My 2019 Giulia was involved in a scrape back in April. The repair involved replacing my 2 front 5 petal 18 inch alloys. But here's the thing, they're a darker colour than the originals. As you'll see from the image they're a gunmetal colour (which I prefer). The garage took the part number from my old alloys so I'm a tad confused why they're darker. My issue is that the insurers won't approve a replacement because they're under the impression that the originals were refurbed at some point - maybe they were. But my point to them is that I haven't seen a Giulia with gunmetal alloys like those - and all the ones on eBay are the 'original' lighter shade. Also, I bought some touch up paint for my alloys last year and it's an exact match. Plus, even if the authorized dealer did do a smart repair they would get as close to stock as possible. I've spoken to the dealer I purchased from and the guy in the parts dept. told me he doesn't know of any Giulias with alloys in that style and in that gunmetal colour. I'm now in a position where I either have to buy a new set or refurb the existing to colour match.

Your input and expert guidance would be appreciated.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Did they source brand new parts from AR or from a parts supplier in which case they may be refurbs that were supplied.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Manc350

I imagine they sourced them from AR as the garage used the part number from my original alloys (so they claim). Also, an Alfa garage had a look at the finish on the new wheels and he thinks the smoothness of the paint is consistent with a factory finish.

·
Registered
42,772 Posts
So they could’ve had the wheels refurbished for the forecourt a bit lighter than original or something like that. You could the rears done to match the fronts which are to original spec.

·
Registered
955 Posts
The rears are correct. The new fronts are definitely not correct for that age of car. Maybe Alfa have changed the factory colour recently, assuming you can still buy these style as an option.

Sent from my Nokia 6.2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Here’s my 18” wheels on Vesuvio Grey 5 mins after collection in Oct 2017, I’d say the fronts that you have are correct colour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: cue2

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Hi all

Newbie here. Just want to pick some brains. My 2019 Giulia was involved in a scrape back in April. The repair involved replacing my 2 front 5 petal 18 inch alloys. But here's the thing, they're a darker colour than the originals. As you'll see from the image they're a gunmetal colour (which I prefer). The garage took the part number from my old alloys so I'm a tad confused why they're darker. My issue is that the insurers won't approve a replacement because they're under the impression that the originals were refurbed at some point - maybe they were. But my point to them is that I haven't seen a Giulia with gunmetal alloys like those - and all the ones on eBay are the 'original' lighter shade. Also, I bought some touch up paint for my alloys last year and it's an exact match. Plus, even if the authorized dealer did do a smart repair they would get as close to stock as possible. I've spoken to the dealer I purchased from and the guy in the parts dept. told me he doesn't know of any Giulias with alloys in that style and in that gunmetal colour. I'm now in a position where I either have to buy a new set or refurb the existing to colour match.

Your input and expert guidance would be appreciated.

View attachment 981917
I would say the rears are gunmetal and the fronts look more like anthracite.

Personally, on that colour car, I'd have the lighter colour wheels.

·
Registered
Alfa 159 2.0 JTDm Lusso 6sp.
10,689 Posts
Personally I would not have accepted it back from the repairers like that....it went in with matching wheels....it should have come out with them. I see no reason at all that you should be out of problem to correct the issue.

·
Registered
42,772 Posts
I would understand that if the wheels hadn’t been refurbed to the wrong shade. I think the person who changed that shade created the issue; usually some mobile valeter in a van who goes round dealer forecourts.
is the gloss/matt level the same?

·
Registered
Giuilietta veloce 1.4 multiair & Merc C180 coupe
532 Posts
As stated above. Reject the car. The insurance companies role is to pay for the car to be returned to pre accident condition. If your wheels matched before they should match afterwards. The insurance company I worked for wouldn’t hesitate in instructing the repairer to fix the issue. They wanted to do their best to get the policy holder to re-insure next time around.

·
Registered
42,772 Posts
sounds like a very obliging insurance company. I hope the OP has the same experience with his insurer. They’ve matched the standard spec that’s insured, the standard finish specification. Very unsatisfactory result though for the OP.

·
Registered
532 Posts
sounds like a very obliging insurance company. I hope the OP has the same experience with his insurer. They’ve matched the standard spec that’s insured, the standard finish specification. Very unsatisfactory result though for the OP.
They were and still are very obliging. Having said that.. if you had the O/S Rear corner repaired where the repairer painted the car in the wrong shade but blended the opposing panels to match so it wasn’t noticeable. Then 6 months later you have the O/S Front repaired where a different repairer used the correct shade leaving a mis match between the O/S Front and O/S Rear. The repairer of the most recent repair would then own the job and be expected to rectify as it looked fine beforehand. That’s a common situation that most accident repairers would experience a lot of the time. Why should a wheel be any different?

·
Registered
42,772 Posts
The wheel are not an integral and continuous surface on the car. The op bought a car where the wheels had been refinished to a shade other than the standard finish and it is that standard finish which is insured.
Ten years ago I had a Giulietta Lusso which came with 16” wheels. When I upgraded to 18” wheels and notified the insurer I was told that my cover would remain for the original wheels and I’d be liable for any extra cost on top of a claim.

·
Registered
532 Posts
The wheel are not an integral and continuous surface on the car. The op bought a car where the wheels had been refinished to a shade other than the standard finish and it is that standard finish which is insured.
Ten years ago I had a Giulietta Lusso which came with 16” wheels. When I upgraded to 18” wheels and notified the insurer I was told that my cover would remain for the original wheels and I’d be liable for any extra cost on top of a claim.
I see what you’re saying but from first hand experience we always sorted any issue like that to offer some form of customer service. The reality is the actual cost to the repairer to repaint a wheel or similar is negligible compared to the cost of providing engineers reports and responding to solicitors letters. Ultimately an insurance company will try to fob you off, but once you stand your ground they will endeavour to keep you sweet. The most common words used were.. “Just get it done. It isn’t worth the hassle and the time to investigate the complaint.”

·
Registered
42,772 Posts
If they’ve carried out the rest of the work to a good standard I’d accept their offer to repaint either pair to match. However, my experience with an esure repairer and discussions I’ve had with somebody who works at one of the repairers I’d consider it added risk.

·
Registered
532 Posts
If they’ve carried out the rest of the work to a good standard I’d accept their offer to repaint either pair to match. However, my experience with an esure repairer and discussions I’ve had with somebody who works at one of the repairers I’d consider it added risk.
Unfortunately not all repairers produce work of a high standard. As you say.. sometimes things can be made worse.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
These are mine after a thorough wash:
Wheel Tire Sky Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle

1 - 20 of 20 Posts