Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Alfa Hive Mind,
I have a PH3 Twin spark - and a start up issue.
When the engine is cold - and been stood for more than a day or 2. When it starts (first time normally) it often runs with a cylinder not firing for 1 to 15 seconds. Once this cylinder kicks in, it runs fine.
How do I begin to diagnose this? It has no message on checking the engine diagnostics. I have multi-ecu scan.

Advice welcome. My thought was to run the car for 6 or 7 seconds, then off. and check the spark plugs....any better idea??

cheers
VL159

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hi Alfa Hive Mind,
I have a PH3 Twin spark - and a start up issue.
When the engine is cold - and been stood for more than a day or 2. When it starts (first time normally) it often runs with a cylinder not firing for 1 to 15 seconds. Once this cylinder kicks in, it runs fine.
How do I begin to diagnose this? It has no message on checking the engine diagnostics. I have multi-ecu scan.

Advice welcome. My thought was to run the car for 6 or 7 seconds, then off. and check the spark plugs....any better idea??

cheers
VL159
Compression check, spark plug, coil pack.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Spark plug, Coil pack, check electric connecter from harness to coil pack, run diag see which cyl misfiring, swap plug and coil pack to different cylinder see if misfire moves with them..... 🍀

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Compression check, spark plug, coil pack.
Well, thank you for saying compression check!
I bought a compression tester and set to work testing. I (naughty me!) couldn't find the fuel pump fuse easily so thought I'd run a quick test and not worry. Big damp blanket over the front of the engine.....fuel rail still connected.
Compression was fine - but cylinder 4 was spurting fuel out - like a lot!
Took out and cleaned up the injectors, checked all the cable connections and contact cleaned them all. Cleaned the injector holes and refitted the lot. Re-tested it to see if that helped....
No more squirting fuel.
Compression the same in all 4 cylinders.
Car started from cold and not longer on 3 cylinders but on 4.
I suspect it was overfuelling massively and was either intermittent or solved itself once hot enough to vapourise the excess petrol.

So car fixed. I'll get a spare injector. just in case.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts