Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My starter motor didn’t engage/turn the engine. Pulled right front wheel, inner wheel arch and rotated the engine a fraction by the lower main timing belt wheel.

Now starter motor engaged, engine started hesitantly and have been idling rough since that. Error shows misfire on 4, 5 and 6.

Can this be caused by a faulty lambda sensor on bank 1?

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Was it running OK before the starter issue? Also, which way did you turn the crank pulley?

Trying to avoid suggesting that the timing has skipped.....

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It ran perfectly before. I turned it clockwise.

We already checked timing, and it’s spot on. Plugs are fine, wiring is fine, ground wires are fine and MAF is fine.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
You've done the whole cam locks on both banks and TDC thing to verify timing, yes?

I'm stumped - I know coincidences happen all the time ;), but it just seems like a very direct cause/effect doesn't it. Did starter spin but not engage, or not spin, before you moved the crank? Struggling to think of possible links is all.

Main gearbox earth good? They often corrode underneath the plastic sleeving.

Can't hurt to try swapping the Lambda I guess - they aren't that expensive.

It's a puzzler!

(the starter on my current project V6 sounded dreadful when I bought it. After stripping it down I discovered that the epicyclic gearbox casing was falling apart - cheap plastic crap. I've tried repairing it and so far it seems to be OK. Just mentioning this as it may be why the starter was playing up??)

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Starter spinning, but did not engage, correct.

No, we only did the second bank, without holders.

I have a complete car for parts, and will try swapping the lambda tomorrow. Possibly the coilpacks as well if lambda doesn’t solve it.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Ah, in which case, hate to say it, but I really think you need to check the timing with camlocks on both banks and DTI on #1.

The scribe marks on the ends of the cams are a guide but can be ambiguous.

Which diagnostic tool is reporting the misfire on 4,5,6 by the way? I get why you suspect the lambda, it’s a single point of failure, but the other one is cam timing of course. Trouble is, it’s such a PITA to check.

Coil packs seem less likely but worth a go I guess as you have spares.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Graph the lambda - no point in spending money on a new one if it is working.

I would second checking the timing properly, without a gauge on cylinder 1, you’re guessing.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am obviously grasping for the easy and cheap stuff first as I have the spares already, if this doesn't fix it, I just might go for a timing belt change as well as spark plugs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts