Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello out there

I really really need your help on this topic .. got a GT 3,2 that has developed a serious problem.
It is misfiring on one cylinder - top bank ....
It started with the engine failure warning flashing a few times, and the engine sounded like a 2 stroke. At that time, when i did turn the car of and on again everything was fine.

That happend a few times. Then 5 days back it would not go back to normal, but just sounded like it was totally broken.

After a few days at the local alfa workshop nothing has been sorted.

-Timing has been checked - it is bang on.
-There is a little bit of oil in the coolant reservoir - but not that much (maybe a little head gasket failure there, but not serious yet)
- the compression is fine
They have tried to change the plugs, the injection and other electric stuff - but the problem persists
-the mechanic has discovered that one of the valves (the one you can see through the hole from the front) situated in the offending cylinder, is kind of wet an oily on the shaft - the others are not.

he thinks that the valve is broken, or not in perfect shape, and that is what causes the problem - quite a serious bill to pay to get that sorted - and timing belt has just been done :-(... and how come that the car sometimes runs fine - sometimes not ?

what do you think ??

Please please help, regards jeppe

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hello out there

I really really need your help on this topic .. got a GT 3,2 that has developed a serious problem.
It is misfiring on one cylinder - top bank ....
It started with the engine failure warning flashing a few times, and the engine sounded like a 2 stroke. At that time, when i did turn the car of and on again everything was fine.

That happend a few times. Then 5 days back it would not go back to normal, but just sounded like it was totally broken.

After a few days at the local alfa workshop nothing has been sorted.

-Timing has been checked - it is bang on.
-There is a little bit of oil in the coolant reservoir - but not that much (maybe a little head gasket failure there, but not serious yet)
- the compression is fine
They have tried to change the plugs, the injection and other electric stuff - but the problem persists
-the mechanic has discovered that one of the valves (the one you can see through the hole from the front) situated in the offending cylinder, is kind of wet an oily on the shaft - the others are not.

he thinks that the valve is broken, or not in perfect shape, and that is what causes the problem - quite a serious bill to pay to get that sorted - and timing belt has just been done :-(... and how come that the car sometimes runs fine - sometimes not ?

what do you think ??

Please please help, regards jeppe
I would check compressions again on each cylinder (broken valve would show up) this will give you an idea of engine condition / state of repair and or maybe a cylinder leakage , from what you describe though sounds sort of electrical , engines are mechanical and generally speaking don't have intermittent mechanical problems.
The wet you can see down the cylinder maybe unburnt fuel ? .
If the engine is sound , have they tried swapping the coils over ?
Is what you say top bank the rear nearest bulkhead ?
Is this been a problem since cambelt replacement ?

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
I had a hesitant misfire on mine, very erratic.

The error codes were for 3 cylinders (I forget which, but it wasnt just on one bank)..

Anyway, on switching coil packs etc.. the same cylinders were showing errors which was strange. It was then diagnosed as fuel blockages... Once cleared it was fine.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
The fact that you could make it go away by restarting the car would suggest one of the following list. I'd check them in this order and see how you get on. Can you confirm what "electrical stuff" the mechanic has changed. As your compression and timing has been checked we can assume the engine is healthy.

Spark plug
Coilpack
Injector
Loom connections
ECU.

The first three can be checked without replacing anything. Simply moving them to another cylinder to see if the problem follows. The loom and ecu are a bit more involved.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
My money is on the coil, especially if the 3.2 has one coil per plug (my old 12v had one huge coil pack.. :thumbs:)

Swap it to a different cylinder as has been stated.

What's the plug like in the "leaky" cylinder? If it's black and horrible.. :eek: then that suggests that there is something more serious/mechanical afoot. Possibly leaky valve stem seal fouling the plug? I'm dubious for the moment.. more electrical than mechanical I'd say...

Ralf S.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
coilpack i reckon
in fact i had loads of problems after i cleaned the rocker covers once and water got into the spark plug hole and the seal around the coil obviously didn't stop the water. good spray with wd40 and ran the car very hot soon got rid of water. i would guess that a coil or more than one is causing issue as it sounded crap as anything.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Just to mention the obvious - check the metal clip on the injector. Sounds like the problem I had which was a broken clip so there was an intermittent electrical proble

·
Registered
831 Posts
The spark maybe getting exstinguished by a pin hole leak from a failed head gasket. That wouldn't show up on a comp test! Have you tried the 'unplug stuff' and see if the engine tone changes? The coil rubbers need silicone grease to stop HT arcing every time they get dry/refit.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update..
got the car back from the garage today - it is running again but very roughly.

They have swapped the coils, coil packs , testet the compression ... but the problem is still present. It is especially when idling, that the motor misfires - you can actually hear it from cylinder 3 in the top bank .. it is kind of an mechanic rattling sound ...
any ideas ?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Update..
got the car back from the garage today - it is running again but very roughly.

They have swapped the coils, coil packs , testet the compression ... but the problem is still present. It is especially when idling, that the motor misfires - you can actually hear it from cylinder 3 in the top bank .. it is kind of an mechanic rattling sound ...
any ideas ?
How many miles have you done since the cambelt ?

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Compression, leak down test if you find a fault with cylinder. or a pico scope type test on the electrics will find your answer. Starting using the graphs at work and it makes fault finding so much easier

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Compression, leak down test if you find a fault with cylinder. or a pico scope type test on the electrics will find your answer. Starting using the graphs at work and it makes fault finding so much easier

In what way?

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
In what way?
My workmate was using it to monitor signals to and from ECU. Showed the fault instantly checking signals it IGF (toyota).
Can compare output and input signals of anything and it has a library of what is the norm to compare. helpful when a code doesnt pop up

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
crack in ingition coil was the problem - changed to a new garage - it took them 20 minutes to fix it ... did NOT pay the other workshop bill :)

·
Registered
831 Posts
Good man. Eyes, ears, nose n feel are the mechanics best tools, oh and his teeth lol maybe his lungs. The first guys who looked at it should clean and inspect every part they'd removed, take it back and make them to lick your boots(spark plug boots)?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts