Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had an interesting problem yesterday: when I went out to the car in the morning I found the radio switched on and the central locking not working. As the radio goes off with the ignition it should not be on. When I investigated I discovered that it was getting a weak feed (9v) even with the ignition off. I discovered that I was also getting this feed to a few other ancilaries, although it was not enough to use them. I eventually traced the problem back to the fuse box. On opening this up I found that the terminal sheets (there are five terminal sheets laid on top of each other and are insulated just by varnish)were starting to delaminate quite badly in places also there was quite a bit of condensation in the box. I dryed the box out, but with me opening the box the delamination had got worse and now the indicator circuit is missing bits!
New fuse box required methinks.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Strange, my radio can always be on without the ignition, 96 car too. I remeber looking at a 95 car in a dealer that had had a new fusebox, i couldnt for the life of me figure out why it needed it , but apprently they are quite weak, the delamination must be what the problem was.

Expansive pain in the bun repair that

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I got the car the radio was missing the plug from the back (due to theft I presume) and had been bodged up with spade connectors. Unfortunatly they were a lot bigger than the pins so there was only enough room for the one feed (which had to be constant to keep the memory) and the front speakers. I ended up chucking it away and fitting the radio from the old car which was complete.
As standard you can only have the radio on with the ignition fully on as there is no part ignition with Alfa as on other lesser marques, so someone may have rewired yours to allow them to listen to the radio without the engine on and not burn out the coils.

176 notes for a new fuse box :( sair!

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you could always just lay a thin piece of plastic sheet between the layers.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not quite as simple as that as there are solder conections on each sheet, so to take them apart would mean unsoldering the lot and then resoldering zillions of conections. Afraid my soldering just isn't up to it! :D

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I thought (through previous discussions on her before) that the stereo is not ignition controlled and that it's a nightmare to make it ignition controlled? Now if you're talking headlights...

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my 1996 1.8 = not ignition controlled
1995 V6 = ignition controlled

Is there a correllation with the years? Don't think so :confused:

wrinx

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
mine comes on without ignition and iam using aftermarket stereo but iso connectors are still there 1996 1.816v my old 8v used to do this as well (i think). :D

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Changed the fuse box at the beginning of last week and guess what, my high rpm power loss has gone! Pulls right the way through now without any problem. I must admit that had the problem not showed up as it did I might never have found out what was causing the power loss. 176 notes well spent. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts