Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello....
Anyone know how to get the mirror glass out without breaking it?

Someone managed to rip the back off my drivers side mirror, without actually breaking the mirror glass or the swivel bit (very technical) :D .

I have managed to get a replacement mirror back, but it's a bugger to fit with the glass in the way.

(By the way when I say back of the mirror, I mean the bit furthest from you when sitting in the drivers seat)

Any comments useful or otherwise greatfully accepted.

Thanks

Andy

92 1.8/8v

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi Andy
I did a long post about this once, will try and find it. But............

There are four small screws holding the plastic back on.

Three are behind the glass in the corners(two at the top and one bottom left as you look in the mirror), if you tilt the mirror as far as it will go you can reach them with a philips. For ease its best to remove the whole unit from the car, dead easy.

For the fourth screw, tilt the whole mirror unit upwards and you should see it underneath, near the swivel point.

Hope this makes sense, if not email me and I'll send you fotos as I still have my old broken mirror!!!

[email protected]

wrinx

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Andy

Found them!!!

Here we go................

To remove the whole mirror from the car:

1. remove the rubber boot covering the little lever for altering the angle, just pull it off
2. unscrew the silver ring
3. the black plastic cover pulls off, its very tight though. I THINK the 2 clips are about an inch from the top and the corner nearest the front
4. undo the 3 screws and the whole unit will come off.

To remove the glass from the mirror:

The mirror glass is held on to its plastic base by an adhesive backing pad almost the same size as the mirror itself. I've just managed to remove it so its possible. You will need three wide chisels and a thin craft knife. Pull the longest side of the mirror level with the casing, you should just be able to see the plastic backing. Start by running the knife along the join a few times. Then put a chisel into the gap and GENTLY rock it sideways a few times (in line with the mirror not levering the mirror off), do the same at the ends. Rocking is more controllable than just pushing down. Any undue flexing of the mirror will of course break it. Continue to do this, cutting the backing wherever possible and use the chisels to gently force a gap for the knife. Took me about ten minutes. Eye protection and gloves needed:)

Another method could be to use a solvent on the adhesive pad to dissolve it, but not sure if this would damage casing/mirror if overused.
Yet another and perhaps more satisfying way would be to just smash the mirror!!!! :)

wrinx

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey wrinx thanks for that.

Someone also broke the casting on the passenger side when I bought the car in December - so I have one to practice on!

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Andy

always seems to be the passenger mirror. Its broken on my V6 too, just got a replacement at the weekend.

wrinx

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Stupid, question considering I'm 12,000 miles away but how much does a wing mirror cost over there - new and used?? Mine's the manual version for an 8v.

My passenger side mirror's been hit so many times by damn moped riders, that the housing is cracked.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Bek

Exactly which bit do you need?

The back can be bought seperately, new, for £25.

The whole unit is about £82. They may be a little bit cheaper, these are from the 1999 price list.

Second hand they are about £40-50 but are impossible to find!!

wrinx

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks wrinx,
Mine's cracked at the pivot point. From what I can see it is just the plastic that's broken for now, but I just thought it might be worthwhile sourcing for the entire assembly now before it really breaks off.

80 quid is relatively decent. Over here (in Malaysia) they are going for about 150 quid for the electric version. In Singapore about 120 quid.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts