Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Agreed - it is a nice yet naive idea.

Taking aside the social issues and problems etc that it is supposed to solve, it won't actually improve the end product - indeed probably make it worse, especially at that low end.

It is a classic case of where other attempts and tinkering has failed to solve the end problem - over-drinking and the subsequent health issues, and over-drinking and the subsequent criminal issues - so that now the nuclear option is chosen.

The price would need to be so high for it to be effective that it would also create an enlarged black market overnight, just as there is with cigarettes.

V

·
0 Posts
We've been printing more money lately to try to get us out of the sh*t, why not go the whole hog and introduce prohibition?

I quite like Art Deco and 20's fashions too...

V

·
0 Posts
And we could have Strictly Come Charleston?

Although I'd give Dada a miss, I thought he was sh*t :lol:.

Re: the OP, I just really don't know what to think. I used to get p*ssed with my mates very occasionally at 15 on cider but I have no idea why underage kids today seem to want to get very drunk every weekend, have unprotected sex with each other and then kill each other. It's a very big problem for sure.

·
Registered
19,792 Posts
Can't see it working myself. Look at the price of cigarettes, and still the hard of thinking buy those incessantly.

In Norway alcohol pricing was driven up and up by the state to prevent people from abusing it. Now they abuse it whilst poverty stricken.

·
Banned
112 Posts
Far from a magic bullet, but surely a contribution to reducing abuse ?

Lets face it, booze is silly cheap now, making it more of a luxury item should help.

No one complains about the high cost of fags nowadays, smokers seem to accept that they have to pay .

And of course, everyone has a choice whether to buy alchohol, or not.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Just an excuse to rip the public off yet again. The UK has a basic problem that a large percentage of its population are now poorly educated, have low moral standards and in some cases, are borderline feral. No amount of tweaking with tax levels and the like is going to sort that problem. If alcohol prices were tripled, muggings would rise in order to get cash to buy it. You only have to look at the flurry of Xmas stabbings and shootings to see what a dire state this country is in.

·
Registered
934 Posts
its only a part of a solution, but at least its a start. In Norway drink prices are very high, but I suspect as EVERYTHING in Norway is expensive it wont be that high compared to annual average income.

Supermarkets and producers of these Alcopop drinks need to take a look at themselves as well. They are not encouraging responsible behaviour, its kind of like the way the banks behaved, they are out of control and need to be forced to realise ho wmuch damage they are doing their future customer base.

Its not an answer saying no-one is "forced" to buy it... thats ignoring the damage to general society that we all live in and in the end we will pay for increased cost of hospitalising and caring for those with long term damage to livers etc...

·
Registered
19,792 Posts
Speaking from experience, it is VERY high compared to average annual income. And not EVERYTHING in Norway is expensive. Skis were dead cheap.

·
Banned
112 Posts
Maybe too much availability as well ?

I remember when the ony place to buy booze (apart from the pub), was the good old Offy. Now that supermarkets, petrol stations and small convenience stores all sell drink, it's so much easier to buy 24/7. Can't rember the last time I saw on old fashioned stand alone offy just selling drink.

·
Registered
37,735 Posts
We need to find out the reasons why people drink in the first place rather than trying to deter people from drinking due to the cost.

Is it a cultural thing? Us Brits do seem very good at knocking back booze compared to people in other countries.

I don't think the extended opening ours of pubs and clubs has done much to help matters either.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Interested in your views. Personally, I think it is (possibly) well-meaning but essentially elitist bull. :confused:
"elitist" eh. If this were still a new labour government, the technical term would be "the nanny state". The terminology changes, but the moans remain the same. ;)

I'm not sure it's such a bad thing. It makes me sound all 'Daily Mail', but if cheap booze fills the NHS emergency wards every Saturday night, then the drinkers should pay for it.

I'd be very surprised if it drives it 'underground' in the manner of genuine prohibition. If it did I shall look forward to a new generation if budding amateur brewers coming through. The poor dears may actually learn what proper beer tastes like.

·
Vendor
45,754 Posts
"elitist" eh. If this were still a new labour government, the technical term would be "the nanny state". The terminology changes, but the moans remain the same. ;)

i'm not sure it's such a bad thing. It makes me sound all 'daily mail', but if cheap booze fills the nhs emergency wards every saturday night, then the drinkers should pay for it.

I'd be very surprised if it drives it 'underground' in the manner of genuine prohibition. If it did i shall look forward to a new generation if budding amateur brewers coming through. The poor dears may actually learn what proper beer tastes like.
+1

·
Vendor
45,754 Posts
If they're gonna charge more for booze then they need to bring down income tax to those working by an equivalent amount so the average drinker isn't out of pocket. People who work, pay their way and drink responsibly shouldn't be punished by those that don't.

K

·
0 Posts
I'm not entirely convinced that cheap booze is filling A&E on a Saturday night. I imagine that most Saturday night city centre brawling is fuelled by a lot more wife beater at £3.50 a pint than tramp juice from the Spar shop.

·
Vendor
45,754 Posts
I'm not entirely convinced that cheap booze is filling A&E on a Saturday night. I imagine that most Saturday night city centre brawling is fuelled by a lot more wife beater at £3.50 a pint than tramp juice from the Spar shop.
Or pills at a pound a pop.

·
Banned
57,288 Posts
Being One of the hard of thinking A smoker, I'm obviously too thick in the head to contribute :rolleyes:

So heres my tuppence worth, we have had alcohol for thousands of years and any minimum price per unit will only be used as another revenue stream by HM Revenue and Customs to rip more of our salaries away with yet another stealth tax.

Call me Cynical but I think it's more about gererating revenue than the health of the nation.

·
Registered
37,643 Posts
I'd be very surprised if it drives it 'underground' in the manner of genuine prohibition. If it did I shall look forward to a new generation if budding amateur brewers coming through. The poor dears may actually learn what proper beer tastes like.
Watch a bit of TV, we are not getting 'speakeasies' back, but there are a shed load of people brewing illegal alcohol and dodging duty already, including mixing all sorts of exceptionally toxic stuff into their hooch.

·
Vendor
45,754 Posts
Watch a bit of TV, we are not getting 'speakeasies' back, but there are a shed load of people brewing illegal alcohol and dodging duty already, including mixing all sorts of exceptionally toxic stuff into their hooch.
You're allowed to brew your own anyway aren't you, just you're not allowed to sell it?

1 - 20 of 62 Posts