Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heya, am getting a mini service soon and am getting the following stuff:

upper wishbone near side
air filter
fuel filter
pollen/cabin filter

changed, is there anything else? i had the oil and filter changed in november, have new tires and brake discs and pads too

in terms of the air filter, i initially was going to get a k&n, but my mechanic who will be fitting them, said you might as well stick with a normal one as even though they're washable, it still takes effort to take them out and do that so i could just buy an original for cheaper, but then i came across this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-DNX-Performance-Air-Filter-Alfa-Romeo-147-GT_W0QQitemZ280412709362QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item4149e661f2

would that fit in as a bog standard air filter?

and on searching for an air filter, i am presented with about 3-4 different types with massive differences in prices:

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38&_nkw=Fuel+Filter+alfa+147+jtd

is there any i need to look at in particular?

finally, upper wishbone ns i found this, hope this will be fine...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ALFA-ROMEO-147-156-TOP-UPPER-WISHBONE-SUSPENSION-ARM-NS_W0QQitemZ150382853356QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item2303843cec

thanks all

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ignore most of that, i spoke to mangoletsi and the oem air filter is cheaper than that on ebay, the pollen filter is only £12 from my local auto parts dealers, the fuel filter is a £16 from mango (oem)

it's just the upper wishbone near side that has differences in prices, mangos quoted £57 inc vat, my local parts dealer quoted £50 inc vat, and ebay... £22....

which should i go with?

·
Registered
212 Posts
ignore most of that, i spoke to mangoletsi and the oem air filter is cheaper than that on ebay, the pollen filter is only £12 from my local auto parts dealers, the fuel filter is a £16 from mango (oem)

it's just the upper wishbone near side that has differences in prices, mangos quoted £57 inc vat, my local parts dealer quoted £50 inc vat, and ebay... £22....

which should i go with?
i work for a motor factor and i can assure you "cheap" wishbones are a pain, the bushes tend to fail very early. i you are selling the car go for cheap by all means if you are keeping it go for a good quality wishbone by quinton hazel, firstline, FAI or other quality makes. you dont need to go genuine these makes are good and we supply some of the local dealers with these brands without any problems. i will get you a price if you wish so you can compare with you current options

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That would be really really really great if you could get some prices on them, currently I have a massive price variation from £23ish on ebay to £50 for a copy oem and £57 for oem from main dealer mangoletsi

·
Registered
212 Posts
That would be really really really great if you could get some prices on them, currently I have a massive price variation from £23ish on ebay to £50 for a copy oem and £57 for oem from main dealer mangoletsi
ok got a price for "FAI" which is £43 inc vat. "quinton hazell" are dearer at £50 inc vat. hope that helps. always ask who the maker is that way you can check up on the reputation.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ohh, that's brilliant!

what's the difference between the fai one and the qhazel one?

i can get the oem one from mangoletsi for £57-58, but i don't understand what the difference would be with getting either one of them..

·
Registered
212 Posts
ohh, that's brilliant!

what's the difference between the fai one and the qhazel one?

i can get the oem one from mangoletsi for £57-58, but i don't understand what the difference would be with getting either one of them..
as for "genuine parts" they will be good quality but there is a very good chance they are made in the same factory as the ones ive mentioned then branded for ALFA. i dont know which one, as neither ALFA or the manufacter is going to give out that info to anyone. we have supplied many parts of all types to dealers close by. i often wonder if they tell the customer as they are gona assume "genuine parts" at a dealer arnt they?

well they both look pretty much the same. both have a proper warranty but i believe the QH ones will cover labour charges (if professionally fitted) if found to be faulty. both look very nicely finished but i think its more about the engineering you cannot see. in the 3 years working at this factors ive not seen ANY faulty QH wishbones and only one FAI but to be fair it was a vectra II which was a taxi and we had supplied loads to the same taxi fleet without any problems. just imagine the miles they are doing.

firstline (which are dearer than mangos £62) all have a gap at the top of the balljoint packed with grease and sealed, (so not just around the bottom in the rubber boot) which is to extend there life beyond that of standard ball joints.

personally i would be happy to fit any of the makes ive mentioned to my own car in the knowledge that they are safe and relaible and the price is good.

we did try another brand(too remain nameless to compete with ebay etc) which were unbelievablely cheap eg £8 mondeo wishbone. the finish was very poor, steel parts where not primed and paint came off/ very thin coating. we sold a few but a lot failed in weeks so we sent them all back, just not worth the trouble.

hope i havent confused you more

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi, i printed this off to help me decide which to get, it's booked in to a friends garage in two Tuesdays time, I think i will avoid the OEM one from mangos but get one from a car parts shop like FAI, i will be avoiding the ones on ebay as they do seem too good to be true price wise and all.

as you mentioned yourself that you had seem a cheaper brand make possible? and that they had a lot of failures so i would want to avoid them seein as it takes about an hour to get the thing replaced in the first place.

you've been great help so far! many thanks.

·
Registered
212 Posts
absolutly no problems nugget if i can help i will and if you need anything you can "pm" as i can just about get any part you need and i dont think im that far away from you

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
heyyy, i found out today after visiting mangos and my local parts dealer; i've got the fuel, air and pollen filter from mangos but the upper wishbone ns which i'm picking up from my local part dealer on monday is actually the quinton hazel one but for £43 + vat, which is the better than oem one isn't it? :D

·
Registered
212 Posts
heyyy, i found out today after visiting mangos and my local parts dealer; i've got the fuel, air and pollen filter from mangos but the upper wishbone ns which i'm picking up from my local part dealer on monday is actually the quinton hazel one but for £43 + vat, which is the better than oem one isn't it? :D
thats good same price as i quoted you then!:)

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hiya, i had these fitted now, no dodgy clumping noise anymore when i turn a corner :D

they didn't have enough time to fit my pollen filters in though, i tried tackling this myself and thought that's a rather big speaker in the way, lol, the mechanic said there's an extra nokia handsfree speaker in the way too so the pollen filter needs doing still,

i was getting poor mpg (about 41-42mpg using full fill up then click, then calculate instead of the innacurate trip computer) over the past few months, i am hoping it is the air filter that can make the difference? as a year ago, i was getting after an oil and filter change, something like 48-49mpg, if it's not the air filter, i don't know what else it could be, as the oil and filter, fuel filter, air filter have all been changed recently, and all 4 new michelin primacy hp tires too so like, i am hoping it IS the air filter that was just very dirty, i've read about sticky thermostats and will do the top hose manual check when i have time but the needle lies between 82-88oC once warmed up sometimes at the top end near 90, sometimes dropping to 80s but it doesn't fluctuate any more than that...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts