Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been offered (at a price) Digital Engine Tuning by Millenium. It's claimed to offer 25% extra power on the 1.9 MJet = 174 bhp!

Seems too good to be true. So is it?

Anyone out there been done?

T :cool:

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Come on guys there must be someone who's had the experience! For £350 inc VAT its a lot cheaper than "Superchips". :rolleyes:

·
Banned
1,802 Posts
For that kind of money you can get a real remap. The bolt-on powerchips simply increase the injector opening time, increasing the fuelling. I've been running with one for a year and recently took it off when the car went in for a service. Can't say I'm in a hurry to put it back on, it just encouraged me to drive like a [email protected] and took my MPG from 40-43 down to 36.

·
Banned
1,802 Posts
I should add that mine is from PSi, not millenium, but it's the same deal.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have just searched the web and found only one reference to Millenium Engine Tuning

"Edworthys can now offer the latest in engine ECU remapping, increasing performance of your vehicle. Our engineers use a special control box to interface with your vehicles ECU and alter certain values, which in turn increase your engines performance.
The application list of vehicles is growing day by day and prices will vary, so call us today on 0800 298 9619 to discuss what we can do for your vehicle".

It is a re-map and for only £117.99, now it really seems too good to be true!!

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
If its only a simple add on box, then don't. All it does is raise the pressure in the fuel rail and thus putting a lot of stress on the fuel pump, which by the way is a very pricey item. Id rather go for a decent remap that'll alter both injector opening time and timing and turbo pressure. That'll ensure the longevity of all your engine components :cool:

-- Hoygs

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
The Mjet is a turbo diesel right !? very easy to raise the turbo pressure , I did that years ago with my Fiat Croma Turbo i.e. (petrol engine) just an adjustment on the waste gate valve, but if they increase the pressure to give you 25 % more oomph.... prepare for some costly engine blow ups !!!! .. I reckon they also raise the fuel pressure in the common rail... yet another chance to blow up your engine.. don't do it !!!! :tut:

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Yeh, I wouldn't use such a cheap piece of 'kit'. Better to put your faith in a more sophisticated system by a reputable tuner.

·
Registered
31,304 Posts
Hoygs said it all. :cool:

Our engineers use a special control box to interface with your vehicles ECU and alter certain values
Blá blá blá and alter certain values. What they don't tell is that it changes the "easy" parameters and mess with the ECU. Stay away from crapy boxes, Toxic. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Check out the Squadra Tuning site, those guys know Alfa tuning like nobody else !! they ain't cheap but give what they promise !

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Toxic said:
Sorry, for those who are interested the URL is: http://www.edworthys.co.uk/edworthys/product.asp?prodID=12609

Still don't know who's making the kit!
Red dot make it, or at least distribute it, Its the Millenium Programmer, basically new code is uploaded to the ECU via the diag port, look here under OBD tuning most companies who offer to map your car without proper Rolling road tune etc, are using something similar, basically a generic bit of code suited to your particular engine, like a superchip, it is a remap, normally with these things you can save the original config so the car can be set back to normal, £117 is a bargain, at least a third the price of other offerings I have seen, I don't see the problem with it why pay someone else more for the same thing unless they are doing you a custom map?

·
Registered
665 Posts
Toxic said:
Have just searched the web and found only one reference to Millenium Engine Tuning

"Edworthys can now offer the latest in engine ECU remapping, increasing performance of your vehicle. Our engineers use a special control box to interface with your vehicles ECU and alter certain values, which in turn increase your engines performance.
The application list of vehicles is growing day by day and prices will vary, so call us today on 0800 298 9619 to discuss what we can do for your vehicle".

It is a re-map and for only £117.99, now it really seems too good to be true!!
Toxic,

Angel Tuning was trained by the Red Dot team to perform remaps. They were present and helping when they did mine 1 1/2 ago. They are some happy Angel tuning customers in this forum. I was impressed with the service they provide but my car being a petrol I couldn't hope for a 25% increase but they certainly achieved that with JTD Alfas.

Check out their website and give them a call to see what they charge these days.

Cheers

Chris

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Stay away from crapy boxes.....The only thing they do is to Lie to the ECU...and thats how they increae fuel pomp pressure.

A Re-Map will change the part of the software in your ECU. The ECU reads from the new data that is stored on the chip...and sets about 40 parematers in your engine (turbo boost, fuelp pomp and many more). According to many outside data it uses different ways to set all that....for example if the outside air temp is 15C* it uses table 1...if it is 25 it uses table 3....if the Fuel temp.(there is also a sensor that measures that) is low it runs in a safe mode...and engages fuel heating....you DONT get any of that with crapy box....

AS well dont safe money now that can cost you a lot later on....

Go with SuperChips or www.DigitalTuning.ch or best thing to do is get a custom re-map. Dont try to brake your car with something cheap

Good luck....and after you remap your bella, take her to a dyno test

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
err think the above shows that the millenium thing is a remap, not a piggy back as originally assumed by some

superchips are NOT a remap, and are a 'box' ie a piggy back chip - stay away

the millenium seems to be a generic by model remap, same as AD or squadra offer, but maybe is affects less parameters, hence why its cheaper? but essentially the same at the std squadra or auto delta remap - seems excellent at that price, but need to confirm which parameters is changes. Even if it is identical to AD etc generic remaps, there will be some that slate it at they spent £350 for what you paid £120 for, and dont want to feel they got ripped, so really believe that there's some difference - which there may be - could be less paramaters changed etc, as I say need to find out.

you can get a remap tailored to your car by AD etc on a rolling road, but thats alot of money

i wonder how much the reprorammger and relavent pack of AR model reprograms cost from reddot? if enough people here wanted it, may be worth doing a group buy as it were?

·
Registered
163 Posts
i own angel tunnings old 2.4jtd this car is coming upto 100,000 miles run very well and goes,if this car is anything to go buy remapping is ok and remember this was his test bed/show car so must have taken some stick.did'nt know all the facts when i bought it,but am very happy with the car,please note that a 25% increase in power is big increase i know that the 2.4 has a large turbo do not know if its the same with the 1.9 be carefull..

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I didnt know that SuperChips are Boxes....if that is true....My mistake... :(

Anyways, stay away from Boxes...magic, power, super and whatever they write on them ;)

G

·
Hi,

I have been looking at the powerbox by PSI for sometime now. They are TUV certified which means that their claims in terms of performance, emmisions, economy etc must be accurate. They were actually asked by Alfa to design a powerbox for the new M-JET engines, surely this is a good recommendation? Also I am not aware of any increase on the fuel rail, there is no mention of this in any of their literature. Check this link for torque curves http://www.psi-motorsport.com/turbodiesel/fiche.php?selectid=4 and www.dieselchiptuning.com/catalog for the catalog.
I have not purchased one yet as I have had some problems with mine which I wanted to get sorted first. The chip is just over £300 and uses OEM fittings, no computer style serial connectors which are not designed to be used outdoors or under a bonnet!
Increasing boost pressure is simply not an option for me, I don't like the idea of playing with the most sensitive part of my engine, and one of the most expensive. I also like the idea of unplugging it before service etc to avoid warranty problems.

It's your decision, but look for quality connectors, proof of performance gain etc

·
Banned
1,802 Posts
I've got the PSI box for my car. No trouble in 45,000 miles.

Now where's my lucky piece of Alfa 4" x 2" ?

G

·
For that kind of money you can get a real remap. The bolt-on powerchips simply increase the injector opening time, increasing the fuelling. I've been running with one for a year and recently took it off when the car went in for a service. Can't say I'm in a hurry to put it back on, it just encouraged me to drive like a [email protected] and took my MPG from 40-43 down to 36.
No Dosh

I'm confused here mate,above you say that you are not in any hurry to refit your tuning box but then later on you have said you've run it for 45,000 miles without any problems ?

So does it work or does it work & cause problems or is it lack of will power & you cant stop balsting evrywhere?? If its the last I'm going to get one :lol:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts