Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,

i`m a new poster and a first time alfa buyer .
recently i bought a alfa 147 2.0 ts with 89,000 and some service history for £1100

ive been driving it now for about a week and everything seems fine and i like the car.
just out of curiosity i was looking under the bonnet and notice the water was milky white looking , ive had a quick look on internet and some says its the headgasket

the car it not overheating ,running ok ,doesnt seem low on power,has no white deposits under the oil cap or dipstick

can anybody give me some advice before i take it to a garage ?
anyone know of a good one to take it too in sheffield ,south yorks

many thanks

·
Registered
513 Posts
Oil and coolant don't mix well so the oil tends to float on the top, gathering in the header tank. If not sure get it checked out.

·
Registered
30,071 Posts
i`m not sure what this is !

can you explain ?
Effectively an oil cooler, but it is an oil/coolant heat exchanger.
It it the part the oil filter mounts to.

They can fail internally and result in oil in the coolant.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
The oil filter housing uses the coolant system to cool the oil iirc? Maybe one has contaminated the other? Or a massive long shot, Fred Blogs is an old motor engineer and has added soluble oil into the header tank maybe believing it lubricates something or other. :D Soluble oil smells very much like a disinfectant, again iirc. :):

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Well I would start from scratch. As it's a new car to you drain both the coolant and oil and renew them. Then see how long it takes to re-appear and start from there. There is a chance, you may be lucky, that it is contaminated from a previous but now repaired defect.

Don't jump in too deep with a car that is new to you but it does sound like someone has off loaded a car that they knew was going to be a problem. Possibly they have changed oil and coolant and shifted it before the mayonnaise coolant effect re-appears. Yes there is a chance that someone has deliberately caught you out!

G

·
0 Posts
It sounds like it has had just overboiled plain water in the system i.e. No proper coolant which has higher boil point temperature properties.
As above, prep it for the winter 50%50%mix of coolant and make sure you bleed it properly mate

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the replys I'm going to change the coolant on monday also I'm goIng to change the thermostat as that seems to be very erratic , I've read a post on here that leads me to believe its buggerd so I'll post back on this issue

Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
just thought i would let you know how things went . taken car to garage today ,flushed all coolant out and changed for new. He says that head gasket hasn't gone and it all looks ok . :) very happy he also said that there was nothing wrong with the thermostat so double happy

thanks all for your quick reply's

·
Registered
13 Posts
I took my car to Peak Alfa for timing belt/service etc and service there was great. Italautos in Chesterfield are good as well, bit closer to Sheffield too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts