Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The call of a Brera S is severely tempting me at the moment, so I might sell my current Brera (2006 2.4 Diesel) which I call my 'tractor' S due to the mods listed below.

Of course this is silly after spending so much getting it just right (eg I just fitted a brand new aluminium dash for it as the scratches from the original owner annoyed me!). But then car buying is a bit silly...

The good:

-Rare-ish Diamanté grey colour
-Dark grey 19" S alloys in perfect condition (and plenty of tread on the P-Zeros)
-DPF removed/EGR turned off/remapped (so more power, better power delivery, better fuel economy and less to go wrong)
-Lowered on Eibach springs (looks and handles better)
-Red brake callipers
-Prodive mud flaps
-Tracking setup done by Peter Cambridge of prodrive Brera S fame (better handling and less tyre wear)
-Cambelt and water bottle changed at last major service (saving a lot of money for potential buyers)

The bad:
-76k miles, but it's a diesel so does it matter that much?
-Few minor scuffs and stonechips

Car will have it's MOT next week and will pass that before any sale, should I decide to sell.

The extras would cost thousands to do to any used Brera, so I hope to get about £10k for the car.

·
Registered
Maserati Quattroporte
1,764 Posts
Why get an S?

Yours looks almost identical.
Far better fuel compsumption.
Probably a lot faster.
Less depreciation.
Looks like you like modding - so what can you do to the S?

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
+1
if you fit S zorst boxs, then from the outside you've got an S(Tractor S:D), on the inside is the red stitching and leather dash that important?

Does seam a shame to sell it, but goodluck if you do, I'm sure it will get snapped up!:cool:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Make sure its RED , turns head more, LOL not the only one who thinks jtdm units a bit Massey Ferguson LOL.
yes it will get snapped up , but not by the joe in street so ad on here, not A.T. , could list on ebay (cheap advertising medium) with link to classifieds on here. mine be on here next year, Good luck MarcG !

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Why get an S?

Yours looks almost identical.
Far better fuel compsumption.
Probably a lot faster.
Less depreciation.
Looks like you like modding - so what can you do to the S?
Good points indeed. And what my sensible side is saying!

Not actually into modding, but the car needed a few things doing to it to make it just right and I moved it towards what I think is the perfect look for a Brera at the same time.

The reason for change is I fancy a petrol Brera. An S is the logical choice as with any other one I'd want it lowered, S wheels, red callipers, mud flaps etc and that all adds a lot!

Although the loss of the skyview will be a shame in getting an S...

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
+1
if you fit S zorst boxs, then from the outside you've got an S(Tractor S:D), on the inside is the red stitching and leather dash that important?
And not all of them have a leather dash and I'd lose the SV...

·
Registered
162 Posts
I drove the 3.2 Q4 last year and to be honest only a little bit quicker BUT only when thrashing red line, didnt feel like 4w drive ?!?, understeered like a pig!!! worse than mine!? Was all standard and they dont map well.
Have to say it sounded nicer , much nicer of cause!
on run 16MPG!!! mine does 44
Ahummmm!
NUFF SAID
does that clinch it for ya Marc?
:lol:

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ive driven the 3.2 Q4 and to be honest only a little bit quicker but only when thrashing red line, didnt feel like 4w drive , understeered like a pig worse than mine, was all standard and they dodnt map well, plus on run 16MPG!!! mine does 44 NUFF SAID
does that clinch it for ya Marc?:lol:
:)

Don't want a 3.2, tax and MPG are a killer there.

A 2.2 with a little tuning should do fine though...

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
Maserati Quattroporte
1,764 Posts
No way !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you tried a 2.2? I had a test drive in one before I got the 3.2 OMG it felt so slow and underpowered, you have to rev the nuts off to get anywhere.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
I would suggest going to an Alfa garage, test drive a 2.2 Brera S and then re-think.
As much as the 2.2 is a decent enough unit, I agree with some of the others that the change from a torquey diesel (especially with everything you have had done to it) to a higher revving petrol will be massive. Totally different delivery of power, and the 2.2 will be way down on the power or yours.

But, petrol it must be! Agree.

Driving my friends Brera Ii with the 1.8tbi did put a huge smile on my face. Torque and power. Just lacked a little growl from the exhausts.

Good luck with the decision making.....

·
Registered
363 Posts
Marc - how have you found the mods on the old insurance front? Honesty is best policy remember... :p

Might do a lot of those mods to my potential future 2.4 159 ti.
Might even be interested in your tractor S..

·
Registered
813 Posts
MarcG. I have to agree with the others you should stick with what you have.

On the other hand i desperately want your Brera S wheels. Any chance of a part X for my newly refurbished (Done 2 weeks ago) 18" 7 horseshoe alloys :p

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
MarcG. I have to agree with the others you should stick with what you have.

On the other hand i desperately want your Brera S wheels. Any chance of a part X for my newly refurbished (Done 2 weeks ago) 18" 7 horseshoe alloys :p
I'm leaning towards keep it and wrap it, I just miss the the lack of sound when idling in petrol car!

I love the 18" 7 horseshoe wheels, but dumped them in a second when I got a shot at the S wheels. So, no, sorry!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts