Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Might have my 1st mechanical problem with the GTA :(

When turning her over from cold, she starts fine but seems to idle for the 1st second or two around 800rpm then shoots up to just over 1200rpm. Any ideas people?

And she's just started doing that when I start her and the above problem happens my fuel gauge goes from where it says how much fuel there is down to empty then back to where it should be. Again any clues?

·
Banned
2,925 Posts
I had an idle problem with my old 156 v6 just like yours and it was down the the throttle sensor or something like that, somedays it was fine and others it was a nightmare. Dont know if they are the same for the 156 and 147 tho

M

·
0 Posts
My car displayed similar idle symptoms on cold starts, particularly on cold mornings, and it was a little lumpy too. I traced the problem to a sticky throttle butterfly. The problem is worse when cold because the oil/soot etc that builds up is of course far more 'gummy' when the engine is cold, thus restricting the opening of the butterfly. This may not be your problem, but it's a quick and easy thing to check and costs nothing more than the price of a can of carb/brake cleaner.

If it isn't this, then the problem is more likely to be related to something electrical/sensors etc....possibly linked to the fuel gauge issue.

That's not much help I know, but it's somewhere to start.

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check your battery
Well the battery is only 6 months old but a brand I have never heard of so I should of thought about that doh! I'll just buy myself a Bosch one to see if it helps :D

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My car displayed similar idle symptoms on cold starts, particularly on cold mornings, and it was a little lumpy too. I traced the problem to a sticky throttle butterfly. The problem is worse when cold because the oil/soot etc that builds up is of course far more 'gummy' when the engine is cold, thus restricting the opening of the butterfly. This may not be your problem, but it's a quick and easy thing to check and costs nothing more than the price of a can of carb/brake cleaner.

If it isn't this, then the problem is more likely to be related to something electrical/sensors etc....possibly linked to the fuel gauge issue.

That's not much help I know, but it's somewhere to start.
I shall have a look tomorrow for that, good thinking batman :thumbs:

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
Might have my 1st mechanical problem with the GTA :(

When turning her over from cold, she starts fine but seems to idle for the 1st second or two around 800rpm then shoots up to just over 1200rpm. Any ideas people?

And she's just started doing that when I start her and the above problem happens my fuel gauge goes from where it says how much fuel there is down to empty then back to where it should be. Again any clues?
This isn't a problem, they all idle high when starting from cold. I wouldn't bother buying a new battery.

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This isn't a problem, they all idle high when starting from cold. I wouldn't bother buying a new battery.
Ah okay :) but it never done it when I 1st had it so thought something might be wrong :confused:

Any idea about the fuel gauge quirk?

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
hey fella, that's normal mine does it too.. I see it as like an automatic choke to get things operating and up to temp ASAP so its not going to damage things when its cold?

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hey fella, that's normal mine does it too.. I see it as like an automatic choke to get things operating and up to temp ASAP so its not going to damage things when its cold?
Suppose it could be! I'll get Paul to have a look when she goes into him next month :D

M

·
0 Posts
I agree that they idle high when cold, as all motors do, but the engine shouldn't take several seconds to decide whether it is hot or cold, it should run at just past 1000 rpm the moment it's started and senses that it's the first cold start of the day.
Well, all of my cars have run this way on cold start up, including the GTA.....that's why I suggested checking for a sticky throttle butterfly.

·
Banned
2,925 Posts
I agree that they idle high when cold, as all motors do, but the engine shouldn't take several seconds to decide whether it is hot or cold, it should run at just past 1000 rpm the moment it's started and senses that it's the first cold start of the day.
Well, all of my cars have run this way on cold start up, including the GTA.....that's why I suggested checking for a sticky throttle butterfly.
i agree, my GTA on first start up revs high then drops to normal idle a few seconds later. as i said before when the 156 v6 was playing up the revs climbed to 2000 sometimes 3000 and went back down again, but did it most times when came to a stop at lights or a junction. Throttle problem in the end:)

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
i agree, my GTA on first start up revs high then drops to normal idle a few seconds later. as i said before when the 156 v6 was playing up the revs climbed to 2000 sometimes 3000 and went back down again, but did it most times when came to a stop at lights or a junction. Throttle problem in the end:)
Those symptoms can also be caused by a bad quality remap just so you know.

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cheers guys :thumbs:

Started her yesterday evening and all was fine and dandy, must just be because of the cold...bloody Italian things :lol:

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
All normal buddy, but you know that follow the above posts.

Mine does it until it's warmed up like.

Smiffies issues was a pedal or wiring issue.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts