Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im on an iPhone and can't do much research.

It's done 90k

What work should it have had done.

What should I plan for in the next 20k.

Can the dual mass be swapped for solid flywheel.

What mpg should I get out of the 1.9 jtd.

Anyone have any mint red leathers for sale lol?

Thank you guys......look forward to this thread.

·
Registered
989 Posts
It's done 90k

What work should it have had done.

cambelt and water pump will be the main one, probably clutch too

What should I plan for in the next 20k.

the above!

Can the dual mass be swapped for solid flywheel.

it could, but why?

What mpg should I get out of the 1.9 jtd.

50mpg on a good run, as low as 30 round town

Anyone have any mint red leathers for sale lol?

Can't help, but a breaker like autolusso might have some

[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well it should have had at least one cambelt done - but unless it's had one done in the last 30,000 I would start to programme that into the service schedule.
I would consider things like anti-roll bar drop links to be service items. It is possible to do away with the dmf but you should consider what it's there for first.
The dmf reduces vibration and potential damage to the transmission particularly at low rpm. It is a consequence of the high power and torque diesel engines produce at relatively low rpm and so are extremely important at start and stop and town low speed driving. If you drive on motorways a lot then i's less of an issue but if you drive through traffic a lot then you need to take more care.
With a little care and as a considerate driver you could avoid the need for a dmf - but don't floor the car from low rpm and higher gears.
The rest of the stuff is pretty standard 147/156 stuff. The suspension top and bottom wishbones and rear can wear out quickly but are cheap - If the car has any odd knocks and rattles it may be worth budgetting a change and suspension set-up as this will restore the car's roadholding and handling to where it should be.
As for the rest of it - paintwork particularly the bonnet is prone to chips the rest of it in my experience is reliable. MPG around 40 - 45 and that was not driving for economy.

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome guys!

Me and DMf don't mix lol, I swapped my got a solid and much prefer it. It will be used for long runs so 50mpg is great to here. I get tops 23mpg at the mo. I asked about the DMf If I need a new clutch, the smf is a cheaper alternative and in my experience a little better.

Ill be powerflexing all bushes ASAP, can this be done with the GT? And Campbelt and water pump is a MUST! Ill look out for that.

What tools will I need for the belt change?

Anyone fitted koni and Eibachs? Ooo I'm getting all exited now.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
- i'd do some research into solid flywheel for GT. I'm sure I read some negatives about it on here.
- yes powerflexing is possible i believe
- quite a few fitted koni/eibach combo ...but a little underwhelmed until an uprated anti roll bar was fitted. Search facility is your friend for this.

good luck with car-hunting. Just a tip ....standard stereo is pants. fairly easy to change headunit and front speakers though.

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've got a 166 with a GTA clutch and Konis and Eibachs, so kinda know what I'll be expecting, nevertheless less I do need to read reviews etc etc. I'll do a good search tonight.

I really don't wanna get rid of the 166, but my 100mile commute is gonna kill the wallet. No other diesel does it for me.

Any turbo issues?

Sorry for all the questons, I'm away and using a phone.

Ill upgrading the unit to alpine, or the full fat pioneer sat nav double din
Bad boy :).

Hope I bond with the jtd, the Busso - what an engine, it will be deeply missed :-(

·
Registered
989 Posts
The lower turbo hose fails quite regularly, I'm on my third, but it's an AL silicon one now.No real issues with the turbo other than that.Clearly,it's not like the V6,but the torque is great and you could always re-map for more poke

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haha my first drive will be to a remapping place for sure! This hose, does it just blow off, I can get a tighter one fitted with a better clamp :).

How much bhp will it have after a remap.

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
Haha my first drive will be to a remapping place for sure! This hose, does it just blow off, I can get a tighter one fitted with a better clamp :).

How much bhp will it have after a remap.
The hose rubs on a gearbox bolt which punctures it. Redesigned hoses are available which have a kink in them to prevent the rubbing.

With a remap - bhp isn't what you want, it's driveability and torque, spread across the range. Mine has been done by Gus and it's fantastic.

·
Registered
529 Posts
a17esh
As you probably know I,ve just swapped my 166 for a GT.
The GT is not as well made as the 166 so expect to be tinkering a lot although I know you like the tinkering :lol:
look out for boot rattles, windows that don't auto lift properly, the front upper wishbone squeek. My 166 lasted 150,000 miles before the front upper wishbones needed replacing but the GT seems to need them every 30,000 miles or less according to the owners on here. Mine squeek and need doing as soon as it's driving me nuts.
Clutches go quicker than the 166 roughly 60,000 miles. It's smaller more cramped more plasticky and even more problems than the 166 but still glad I changed to the GT. I'd had the 166 for 7 years and needed a change. the diesel is a peach of an engine with more than enough pull. Expect your clutch to go very quickly if you do the remap unless you upgrade it.
I'd have done the remap already if the clutch on mine hadn't been replaced recently.
Defo go for the bose if it has it it. It's no where near as good quality as the 166 sound system due to the downward facing subs in the 166 compared to the abysmal box in the boot that the GT has but as one of the previous posters says the standard audio is rubbish.
just turn the vol up when you start the car and you won't notice the sound. Once it's up in the revs it actually sounds pretty good but not the same as V6 with a stainless.
I put £50 in mine 3 weeks ago and it still has some left. I was putting that in every week at least with the v6.
All in all I'm very happy and enjoying ragging around like a 17 year old who's just passed his test at the moment. Hopefully this feeling will last, still missing the 166 though. Will you be keeping yours or is it a replacement ?

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
dmfs rarely fail and dont even think of having a solid one itll kill ur gearbox

my gt gives 60 on a run and 40 urban, egr and map sensor are cleaned regular and its serviced.....

all u gotta do to look after turbo is change oil when u should......again they rarely fail for anything other than oil starvation.......shaft will snap without oil

above all u need proof that waterpump was done with timing belts, if no proof u need belts n pump doing £400

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's and awesome comparison, spot on what I needed to hear. I'm at the filling station every week (260miles) and its £70 at a time - that is the only reason why my 166 needs to be changed. I've spent a lot of time as effort on the 166 so id rather give it to my dad then let it go cheap.....no less the. £3k.

Looks like I'll need a GTA clutch ASAP and powerflex and keep a load of uppers and lowers spare lol.

I really hope I get to keep the 166, once you've owned one everything else feels low rent, but it glad to know a 166 owner is happy with a gt and the engine.

Any other options I should look out for? Id love xenons but it would be easier to find elvis! The GTs look all very similar spec, leather seats can be found and upgraded, all have aircon and climate..

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oil change on the turbo, what intervals, i assume this is done in the service?

I'm learning a lot already :)

·
Registered
529 Posts
don't need xenons the headlights actually illuminate things in front of the car unlike the tealights on the front of the 166.
Glad your sort of still keeping the 166 wish I'd had that option.
I keep seeing leather interiors for sale on fleabay although I have just looked and non there at the moment.
Very little differences between models. I've got the blackline spec which boils down to nasty blackline graphic on the back (already removed):) red stitching (wow):rolleyes: 18'' wheels (uncomfortable, might be looking to swap with someone on here at some point for 17s) and sports seat ( even more uncomfortable. me and the missus visit the gym every day and are quite slim, woudn't want to be a porker in blackline seats thats for sure) would love the satnav screen as an option even if its rubbish I think it really makes the interior a bit special. Has anyone retro fitted one to a GT that didn't come with one as standard and was it easy?
You must get the luxury mats also, really deep pile that feels lovely, not cheap at £70 but a huge improvement on the quite frankly dangerous ones that come as standard.

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oo so not as comfortable as a 166? I thought it would be. Haha like the fact you debadged them. Ok lux mats on the to do list - darn this gt is gonna cost me a lot lol.

Know what you mean about that sat nav, does look rather smart with the screen. It's easy to fit actually from what I remember, just need the loom for the antenna and it's plug and play - unlike the 166. I think the cd reader is part of the unit too.

Ok, so going on a long distance drive 166 or gt?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Haven't done more than a few miles on a motorway yet. was hoping to rectify that this weekend. managed 4 miles in an hour and a half last night in the snow was good fun though. I would have thought the gentleman's club seats of the 166 would be a nicer place to spend a lot of time on longer journey's. although I haven't spent more than a minute or two at the aces cafe in a GT's standard seats, they where definitely more comfortable than sports.
So a17esh what colour, year and does it have leather already and your just after red in particular or does it have cloth at the moment ?
found some black leather on ebay.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2005-ALFA-ROMEO-GT-2-0-jts-BREAKING-leather-seats-interior-/220947868253?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item337184ea5d#ht_1074wt_1165

·
Registered
20 Posts
dmfs rarely fail and dont even think of having a solid one itll kill ur gearbox

my gt gives 60 on a run and 40 urban, egr and map sensor are cleaned regular and its serviced.....

all u gotta do to look after turbo is change oil when u should......again they rarely fail for anything other than oil starvation.......shaft will snap without oil

above all u need proof that waterpump was done with timing belts, if no proof u need belts n pump doing £400
There always a but - I had two fail after a remap and before 50,000 miles. Don't go mad on the remap as it will kill the DMF- mine had (supposedly) about 185bhp and over 275 lb ft torque and the economy hardly changed but it did smoke more.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts