Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sent these my turbo to be reconditioned, it came back looking lovely they did a great job cleaning it up.. anyway.. I did everything people said oil/filter/feed line. When the turbo come back I poured fresh oil into the feed line entry of the turbo, bolted back together, primed the turbo with fuel supply off and plugs disconnected (4 five seconds bursts) then reconnected it again started her up let it idle for 10 and phew it worked! For a 8miles anyway. It was making a right noise and loss of power. I took the turbo off and the impeller was moving about all over so I thought **** what have I done... I span it round my hand and the nut that was on was loose!! Called Midland turbo up and they told me the nut coming loose would be oil starvation? I argued and they agreed to take it back to look at... Anyway whilst wondering about oil starvation and whilst the turbo was off I disconnected fuel/plugs put a bottle over the end of the feed line turned it over for 5 seconds and oil certainly flows....

Anyone else had a bad experience with these?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Cant see oil starvation causing the nut to come loose but im not a turbo builder so may well be wrong, always heard good things about midland through a friend who works in a garage that have used them but hearing this who knows.

·
Registered
99 Posts
To be sure you should disconnect the oil return from the turbo are check that oil flows out there. How does the oil line connect to the turbo, It's not likely but possible there maybe a blockage somewhere there

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
I had a new turbo supplied by Midland fail after 12 miles or so. It was sent back to Midland's supplier who said it was caused by Contaminated oil (new oil and filter fitted) and couldn't be repaired. After we sourced a replacement (not from Midland) they then said it could have been repaired!

I have the (repairable) turbo waiting to decide what to do. Midland do get good reviews generaly and I know turbos are really really sensitive to poor oil flow. I have heard a sensor (not sure but could be the crank sensor), being disconnected and the enguine cranked to make sure there is a good flow and return of oil before starting the engine.

·
Registered
147 Posts
. I have heard a sensor (not sure but could be the crank sensor), being disconnected and the enguine cranked to make sure there is a good flow and return of oil before starting the engine.[/QUOTE]
Hi,i just pulled fuses F21 and F22 pump and injectors out to crank mine over, good oil flow so fingers crossed when i take it for a run later,

K

·
0 Posts
make sure the oil drain pipe is ok too, they can delaminate inside and cause a blockage.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
just seen this, nut coming off due to oil starvation is rubbish, the shaft would snap, its "wrong" thread so it does not come undone
when we torque the nut at work its done to specific torque, its backed of a certain amount of degree then torques again.........this stretches the treads which keeps the nut pulled tight

·
Registered
81 Posts
I used to rebuild turbochargers for a living-

Oil starvation would NOT make the nut come loose-
The shaft would likely snap before the nut came loose, due to the HUGE heat that develops within the chra- (core) are much higher than the compressor end

Also, that would only likely happen if there was a sudden loss of oil at high speed and high temp

hope you get it sorted,

Carl

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok had the people at midland turbo call me back they say it was deffo oil starvation that's caused this and sent me some photos.

how the hell can It be starvation I did everything I was supposed to, the car idled for 10 mins to warm up, and it was ok for the 1st few miles of driving and the oil certainly flows from the feed pipe

Attachments

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
umm thats a mess.......cannot still figure why the nut came off........its not supposed to do that, it doesnt look like clean new oil with all the mess
there must have been crap somewhere in the engine that got washed into the oil feed to stop the flow of oil

·
Registered
140 Posts
I destroyed 2 new turbos at work by fitting them to a machine with a dodgy oil pump. Even though I tested for oil flow and pressure for 5 minutes after fitting them. The pump was slipping on the shaft but only once the oil was warm.

You learn from your mistakes (fortunately for me, it was the company that footed the bill and not me or the customer)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Wow, the fan/impeller? looks worse at a glance than my 79900 mile one that failed (just caught mine with small amount of play and weeping oil as inspecting the veins in wastegate due to overboosting) hope you get it sorted atb

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
I can't ever recall having or hearing of a successful warranty claim on a turbo. It's never been their fault. Ever.
Dirty oil, wrong oil, dirty feed pipe,dirty air filter, not letting engine idle before switch off, silcone sealant used on joints, dirt being sucked into air intake. I've heard it all. The first turbo I fitted was in around 1982 to a Ford R series coach. It's been a long 30 odd years.

Turbos are the best reason I can think of for not buying a diesel.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I can't ever recall having or hearing of a successful warranty claim on a turbo. It's never been their fault. Ever.
Dirty oil, wrong oil, dirty feed pipe,dirty air filter, not letting engine idle before switch off, silcone sealant used on joints, dirt being sucked into air intake. I've heard it all. The first turbo I fitted was in around 1982 to a Ford R series coach. It's been a long 30 odd years.

Turbos are the best reason I can think of for not buying a diesel.
look after the oil and there is no problem with them !

ones we make for trucks do a million miles, mind u there built better and enginereed better that garret ones :p

·
Registered
26 Posts
Not to poor salt in the wound but i too was looking at midland turbos recently for my other half's 1.9 tdi but my gut didn't like the cheapness and on advise from a HGV mechanic friend with a hot Fabia VRS (same engine), I went with TurboTechnics who are, apparently, the only people in the country that can rebuild and setup variable vane turbos properly. It cost about £550, i replaced the oil feed, primed the system (syphoning off half a litre into a coke bottle before connecting to the turbo) and she's been so good, the clutch started slipping :p

Anyway, as I say, sorry if this is pouring salt in the wound but thought it might be useful info to others :)

Oh and FWIW, 24mth warranty with TT on rebuilds, only 12mth on new turbos.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
When the turbo failed on my Vectra last year I bought a brand new Garrett turbo sealed in it's box from GSF. £625.

For info, my turbo failed after a short stop on a long fast journey. We stopped for five minutes to reset the sat nav then accelerated back onto the dual carrigeway. The shaft siezed and the exhaust side turbine sheared off in the housing. That's breaking the old rule of letting the engine idle long enough after a long hot run. Not many people do it these days, they forget or don't know they even have a turbo charger.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
When the turbo failed on my Vectra last year I bought a brand new Garrett turbo sealed in it's box from GSF. £625.

For info, my turbo failed after a short stop on a long fast journey. We stopped for five minutes to reset the sat nav then accelerated back onto the dual carrigeway. The shaft siezed and the exhaust side turbine sheared off in the housing. That's breaking the old rule of letting the engine idle long enough after a long hot run. Not many people do it these days, they forget or don't know they even have a turbo charger.
shouldnt matter with a turbo on a diesel they dont get that hot, as diesel is nowhere near as flamable as petrol and therefore the turbine end (exhaust) wont boil the oil away

anyway i allways advise to buy second hand as its a factory build, recon is only as good as the bloke who recons it and it doesnt have to abide to the same standards as a factory built one, a good second hand one with no play is miles better than a recon one

1 - 20 of 26 Posts