Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This could end up being a long post, so you might do well to grab a cup of coffee, or whatever your tipple is.

I am a "returning" member here, having last been active in the forums around 2003 when I owned a 147 (1.6 Lusso). I was based in London then, but now in Abu Dhabi (been here since 2004).

Basically I eventually had to sell the 147 in UK when it became clear that I'd be here for a while. Couldn't even face the day it went and asked my mate to meet the buyer and do the deal :cry: . During all this time here I've been driving company car "hand-me-downs". I'm embarrassed to even mention what they were:eek:

I'm now putting my foot down and saying I want a car allowance to buy what I want. The problem is that the choice is limited by both personal circumstances (the car I buy HAS to fit two child car seats in the back...for occasional times when wifey can't use her car), and the available models here.

There are no 159's or Brera's (my budget wouldn't meet Brera's anyway). The choice boils down to either one of the two GT's 2.0 JTS or 3.2. The 3.2's are "currently" not in stock and proving VERY difficult to find, but the showroom has a few 2.0's.

I think it might be part of a mid life crisis but I've become really fanatical of cars with massive acceleration so my heart is kind of set on the V6. This means I might be waiting forever as I've read somewhere else on this site that Alfa aren't producing them anymore.

Will I really be dissapointed with the 2.0 when boy racers are zipping past me with Nissan Maximas off the traffic lights? Or will I just be glad to be back in an Alfa again?

Things have recently got so desperate, that yesterday I test drove a Mini Cooper S, just to feel what 0 to 100 kph in sub 7 secs felt like. I loved the go cart feeling so much I nearly signed on the dotted line back in the showroom....(please go easy on me...I've been driving crap cars for too long...I was desperate:D )

Oh by the way, the Alfa showroom has a new face 166 3.0 with only 16,000 kms on the clock, in Nuvola Blue (Black interior) which I might stretch to. But I'd need a strong recommendation for a 166.

Any advice, kind or harsh, would be appreciated.:)

N

·
0 Posts
I'd still try and get a 159.

You'll need the (much better) air conn.
over there ;)

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Nev has a point re. the aircon. The new series cars have a much more effective system. The 2.0 JTS is a belter and suits the GT very well. My choice FWIW :D

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
so my heart is kind of set on the V6.
This says it all really, all you need is our encouragement to back it up. Go for the V6 it'd be rude not to given what i hear the petrol costs over there! It'll be worth the wait.

I don't know anything on its production status, however have you considered importing from europe? I'm sure i can remember reading somewhere there is no VAT on importing vehicles to Abu Dhabi (or was it Dubai? can't remember - probably Dubai tho)

Hope you find what you're looking for.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the quick replies guys. The problem is you are all pulling me in different directions:D . So hopefully a few more will pipe in with what they think, then I'll consider it all, weigh the pros and cons, rate each answer by member experience, then go buy the V6 GT!:lol:

No, no, I jest, I really need any more tips there are out there. Nev and Squadrone, I didn't know about the AC thing. That is indeed a big factor. It gets unbearably hot here and certainly the first car I was given here (oh well I better confess...a Mazda 626) didn't have enough.

·
Registered
323 Posts
It the point is to cure the Mid Life Crisis get a the new Spider........

·
Registered
890 Posts
Go for the V6! I will. The 2.0 is ok, a fine car, but not quick. If you want sub 7 seconds, you'll need the V6 or a modified 2.0L. A supercharger kit from Autodelta, or a turbo done localy?

·
Registered
70 Posts
FWIW I have a 156 V6 and the wife a 147 2.0TS.

If acceleration is your thing then it has to be the V6. The 2.0 will be more nimble, but for sheer exhilaration and a glorious sound then the V6 is the one.

Also FWIW I get about 23mpg and the wife about 27mpg - so not as big a difference as you might expect.

You might find a JTD has more punch than the 2.0 petrol.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It the point is to cure the Mid Life Crisis get a the new Spider........
But that doesn't meet the criterion of being able to fit my two small children in the car. But I get what you are saying. I sat in it and just had to sigh.

Nev probably is closest to solving all the problems. If there is any possible way I could lay my grubby paws on a 159 3.2 I'd tread everything in my path to do it. So tomorrow I'm going to investigate importing options as suggested by Gil.

Fuel cost here is just not a consideration, moreover my company pay it (very un-green of me I know) so engine size is not a problem provided the car cost is OK.

·
Registered
6,307 Posts
Novice,

Long time no see.

It sounds like you know what you want, and you also know what's available in your local market. While you may be able to import a 159, it sounds like a lot of red tape and I'd have to wonder how feasible it would be to import one -- especially as it sounds like you're in a bit of a hurry for the car.

I think you need to sit down and have a serious chat with your Alfa dealer. Get them to give you delivery date on the V6 and take the 166 out for test drive. Then go from there.

Don't forget that pictures from warm climates are much welcomed in the dead of winter. :D
--Toronto

·
Registered
20 Posts
So the choice is between a 2.0 GT or a 166 or another brand of car.i drive the 2.0 GT and iving in Singapore in 34 degrees 100% humidity i can vouch for the air con working well. I have one car seat in the back and my daughter fits in it very well so another one will not make a great difference. I think ideally a 159 would be better but as they dont have them yet not an option. My advice is buy the Gt as the 2.0 litre its plenty quick enough and wait for the 159's to be delivered and maybe part exxchange later on.
My one word of advice if you go with the Gt is get a light coloured interior ie. tan leather as black is very claustrphobic. The lighter colour makes a big diff and makes the interior fell bigger. Good Luck.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lots of food for thought there guys. Toronto, yes, long time no see. I'm glad someone remembers me from back then. I didn't frequent the site because of the shame of what I was driving..:D .

I'm trying, as I write, to speak to the boss at the dealers to get a definitive answer about what is or is not available. The suggestion of having a modified 2.0 is appealing, so again I have to find out what is possible here. That would allow me to buy it as it is, drive it for a while and then depending on how I feel about it, perhaps modify.

Thanks for the advice and comments guys, please keep them coming.:)

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
But that doesn't meet the criterion of being able to fit my two small children in the car. But I get what you are saying. I sat in it and just had to sigh.
Doesn't the Spider have a boot?? :D

Go for the 3.2 ltr petrol engine. Whatever car they put it in for you doesn't really matter. :)

I'd take a 159 over a GT if I was you, but the GT will be quicker accelerating, if that's your bag.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Well I'm very happy with the GT JTS. Has plenty of performance and is roomy enough for four adults at a pinch, so 2 child seats shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Right, I've talked with the main man at the dealers apparently. He definitely cannot say if or when the 159 will get here. Importing myself could involve too much red tape for a beginner like me.

The 3.2 GT though is likely to be here in around three months..Ouch! BUT, I'm just beginning to renegotiate my employment contract and may possibly go to another company so this may "suit" me.

I asked about modifying a 2.0 GT. The dealer sells both Alfa and Saab and the guy said that he would enquire from Hirsch who modify the Saabs, whether they could do anything with a 2.0GT. I'd like to know your opinions on this in particular....I'm a bit naive when it comes to this sort of thing.....all I know is I'd love a fast Alfa off the blocks:D

·
Registered
274 Posts
Wait the three months: You might get the 2l quicker, but something in the back of your mind will always wonder what it would have been like with the 3.2.

Reminds me a bit of the time I showed Britney the door...;)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm stuffed NO 3.2, not now, not ever!!

:mad:
Wait the three months: You might get the 2l quicker, but something in the back of your mind will always wonder what it would have been like with the 3.2.

Reminds me a bit of the time I showed Britney the door...;)
:mad: The dealer called me today to say he can't deliver a 3.2. For the forseeable future. He as much as confirmed that they would only get 2.0's from now on...and even those dribble in...not much choice on colours etc.

I'm absolutely gutted. While on the phone to him, after he broke the news, I said in a resigned voice that the only option for me was to get a Mini Cooper S, which I can later in the year tune up to the S Works (210bhp). He offered me a Saab 9-3 Sportwagon V6 2.8 Aero with Hirsch mods to take the bhp from 250 to 275:rolleyes:

Guys and Girls unless someone can come up with a bright idea, it look like I'm Mini bound. The thing is that I have grown to develop an intense loathing for Mercs, Beemers and Audi's. I just refuse to buy one. They are too common here anyway...Audi a bit less perhaps.

Call me vain but I really do like to have something a bit different from the hoi polloi. I would even consider the Saab for this reason. I'm going to do some research also on what Autodelta can do to a 2.0 GT as a last refuge. I would lose my warranty on a Selespeed model which I'm seriously concerned about.

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
Buy the 2.0ltr then and do the Autodelta tweaks later on, after any initial warranty "bugs" have had a chance to surface.

After that you can argue that having a supercharger and direct nitro-metanol injection has no bearing on the rear lamp lens falling off, so AR should continue to honour the warranty (engine, gearbox and clutch excepted).

Ralf S.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts