Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to be able to slightly amend from time to time a web site I have set up. I have been told that Microsoft Frontpage is good for this. Is this a free download anywhere? If not, is there something else I can use (free!)?

Thanks!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Both MS Word and LibreOffice will save a document as HTML.

A better solution is if your hosting provider has Wordpress or Joomla available it makes updating so much easier with no special software required by you.

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Frontpage got replaced by MS Expression Web (v4.0) which is a freebe.

http://www.microsoft.com/expression/eng/

It is quite good but I do find they make an absolute nightmare of the code inserting all sorts of autostyles. If you can keep it simple then it is fine.

Joomla has improved in its version 3 greatly now - I used to find it very hard work to keep it consistent but they have addressed a number of things and the backend is much improved. Installing new modules and getting plug-ins working and adding your own logo etc is all nicer to use too.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Sorry for late reply - thanks for all your comments. I use Joomla V3 for our main web site and I agree it is great for easy updating. This is another web site I sort of inherited with a business, which we need to update, but I am only familiar with Joomla, hence this question.

I am trying out the Microsoft Expression download now. Now tried it, and for free it is perfect.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Glad that worked out.
I have since started a site using Wordpress instead - I wish I had used it all along as the interface is a lot easier and more user friendly. Both have their good and bad points but I will look to work more sites with Wordpress from now :)

·
Registered
25,673 Posts

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
Have had a number of php based sites hacked over the years incl Wordpress. GD is right, keep the install (and plugins) as up to date as possible AND take regular backups of both the files and MySQL db. If you get hacked it much easier to clean up a site when armed with a full backup.

You do back up your data don't you? Of course you do!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts