Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all.
can anyone tell me what the difference is between a micro sd & an sdhc card is?
read that it has a higher capacity? but will a device that has a max memory card size of 16gb micro sd card be ok with a 16gb sdhc one?

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Not necessarily I'm afraid and you may find that card readers don't work with the SDHC card. Your best bet is to google your device and see if anyone else has tried it with a HC card.
Technology, isn't it great :rolleyes:

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not necessarily I'm afraid and you may find that card readers don't work with the SDHC card. Your best bet is to google your device and see if anyone else has tried it with a HC card.
Technology, isn't it great :rolleyes:
not being bright i didn't think of googling it :lol:

seems my phone is ok with a micro sdhc card so one ordered :thumbs:

·
Registered
14,827 Posts
Size is only one part of this equation. The SDHC is a later version of the standard enabled by advances in technology. It includes the ability to talk to larger memory sizes but also faster access. If your particular device was designed only to meet the older standard it may not be able to talk fast enough for the new ones.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
why can't stuff be in simple terms...

size 1 or whatever, size 5 etc.

or like batteries, AA or AAA. although that never seemed to make sense to me :lol:

Bring back the HP7 battery, that's what I say :thumbs:

Apart from size and capacity of memory cards, you also need to check the 'class', which determines how fast you can write to the card. This is important for devices that can record HD video. Check the product manual to see the card spec you need.....

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
Apart from size and capacity of memory cards, you also need to check the 'class', which determines how fast you can write to the card. This is important for devices that can record HD video. Check the product manual to see the card spec you need.....
Except "class" is a very badly defined test. It's about burst speed rather than continuous - and if you're recording HD video, you're wanting continuous speed, not burst.

Here's a few speed tests for "Class 6" SDHC cards:
Transcend Class 6... 4GB...* 8.3MB/s
Transcend Class 6... 8GB...* 7.6MB/s
ATP 150X Class 6... 16GB... 7.5MB/s
Transcend Class 6... 16GB...* 7.2MB/s
Kingston Class 6... 8GB...* 4.1MB/s
PNY Class 6... 4GB...* 5.1MB/s
Kingston Class 6... 4GB...* 2MB/s

If you're wanting to get a card for serious photography etc, stick with Sandisk Extreme or Lexar Pro - don't skimp on it.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
knew you guys would confuse me :lol:

i've ordered a 16gb micro sdhc sandisk card, apparently my phone is fine with this.

under a tenner inc postage so if it doesn't work i will stick it on ebay or maybe try it in my camera first.

no harm done either way

cheers guys :thumbs:

never ceases to amaze me how alfa owners guys come to the aid of most questions ;)

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
card arrived today.

fits my phone a treat and works simply (has to for me to use it :lol:) so i've now got loads of music on there :cool:

was a kingston one but not complaining :thumbs:

·
Registered
106 Posts
you didn't say what phone you had, but unless it's a really crap one it would probably have been fine with a 32gb micro sdhc card. Most modern smartphones can handle that (the ones that actually have a memory card slot that is).

Also there are SDXC cards (and micro sdxc) which have capacities over 32gb, i.e 64gb and 128gb. No phone that I am aware of claims to support sdxc cards officially but a lot have been found to work with them by people who have tried it out (source: various interweb forums I have read)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts