Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question to any QV owners who are using Michelin Alpin PA4 tyres over the winter months. Having used the tyres over the last two winters I have been very pleased with the performance of said tyres until…

Over the last few days the temperatures around my local area have been hovering around 3 to 7 degrees Celsius. Occasional I have been out in the car and just encountered a light shower which doesn’t really create standing water, instead it adds a moist film to the road surface. Apologies for the amount of detail here.
Anyhow the reason for the question is when driving in these particular conditions the amount of grip offered by the Alpin PA4 tyres is close to zero. To the point I am having to nurse the car around corners and roundabouts in fear of either spinning the backend or understeering into the kerb. It’s quite alarming at times and normally means I immediately switch the car into Advance Efficiency (A) mode and start driving like Miss Daisy. Don’t get me wrong, in all other conditions i.e. sub-zero temperatures, lots of standing water, cold, snow, etc, the performance of the tyres is great. However, it appears there’s a particular set of conditionals which don’t suit these tyres at all. I am tempted to switch back to my Pilot Sport 4S tyres but then it will probably show. Is anyone else seeing this particular issue?

·
AO Detailing Car Of The Year Winner 2015
328 Posts
I have the Pirelli Sottozero (Alfa Romeo Homogation) also on their second season with circa 5-6mm remaining. I have absolutely no traction issues at all, however I do have more understeer compared to the Corsa's but that's to be expected really.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Question to any QV owners who are using Michelin Alpin PA4 tyres over the winter months. Having used the tyres over the last two winters I have been very pleased with the performance of said tyres until…

Over the last few days the temperatures around my local area have been hovering around 3 to 7 degrees Celsius. Occasional I have been out in the car and just encountered a light shower which doesn’t really create standing water, instead it adds a moist film to the road surface. Apologies for the amount of detail here.
Anyhow the reason for the question is when driving in these particular conditions the amount of grip offered by the Alpin PA4 tyres is close to zero. To the point I am having to nurse the car around corners and roundabouts in fear of either spinning the backend or understeering into the kerb. It’s quite alarming at times and normally means I immediately switch the car into Advance Efficiency (A) mode and start driving like Miss Daisy. Don’t get me wrong, in all other conditions i.e. sub-zero temperatures, lots of standing water, cold, snow, etc, the performance of the tyres is great. However, it appears there’s a particular set of conditionals which don’t suit these tyres at all. I am tempted to switch back to my Pilot Sport 4S tyres but then it will probably show. Is anyone else seeing this particular issue?
My Alpins are fitted to my Quadrifoglio for their third winter and I've done around 10,000 miles on them in temperatures ranging from -7C to +15C with a wide range of weather conditions and road surfaces. I must have got about 5mm of tread left.

I've never experienced problems such as you describe.

Andy

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
I did find similar conditions to what you described and there was less grip than expected. However, I've only just put the Alpins on and in similar conditions the previous week the PS4S were just as bad.
I think sometimes there's just no grip whatever tyres you have if the conditions are right (or wrong).

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My Alpins are fitted to my Quadrifoglio for their third winter and I've done around 10,000 miles on them in temperatures ranging from -7C to +15C with a wide range of weather conditions and road surfaces. I must have got about 5mm of tread left.

I've never experienced problems such as you describe.

Andy
Same here, third winter but i don't remember them being this bad before. I have only covered about 8,000 miles on the tyres. Will just exercise caution and see how it goes.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did find similar conditions to what you described and there was less grip than expected. However, I've only just put the Alpins on and in similar conditions the previous week the PS4S were just as bad.
I think sometimes there's just no grip whatever tyres you have if the conditions are right (or wrong).
Yeah, the really odd thing mate was the understeer, the car had no bite through the front tyres on a few of the roundabouts around where I live. Will just take it extremely easy for the next few weeks and if it does continue will drive my daughters Fiat 500 instead, Oh what joy :-(

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
I didn't have understeer but the rears lit up pretty easy. In a few degrees colder weather last night they were much better. This was after some significant rain as well though so maybe it's washed the road surfaces clean.
I think the grit this time of year (without any actual snow or ice) makes things worse.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have the Pirelli Sottozero (Alfa Romeo Homogation) also on their second season with circa 5-6mm remaining. I have absolutely no traction issues at all, however I do have more understeer compared to the Corsa's but that's to be expected really.
I have the same without any problems.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Back in the day when I raced superbikes, the conditions the OP describes (”light shower .... moist film on road”) were our worst nightmare. Slicks and sticky dry tyres wouldn’t work and neither would full race wets. My personal opinion was that this was because proper wet conditions ”clean” the surface of the film produced by polution, unburnt fuel etc. The in-between moist condition was just out and out slippy and unpredictable. I’m really not sure what can be done about it.

i too have just fitted Michelin Alpin PA4’s, but having only just bought the QF, I don’t yet have any reference points.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Back in the day when I raced superbikes, the conditions the OP describes (”light shower .... moist film on road”) were our worst nightmare. Slicks and sticky dry tyres wouldn’t work and neither would full race wets. My personal opinion was that this was because proper wet conditions ”clean” the surface of the film produced by polution, unburnt fuel etc. The in-between moist condition was just out and out slippy and unpredictable. I’m really not sure what can be done about it.

i too have just fitted Michelin Alpin PA4’s, but having only just bought the QF, I don’t yet have any reference points.
Certainly a light shower after a period of dry weather can be lethal, whatever tyre you have fitted.

Noting how much rain we've had in the last couple of weeks, that wouldn't seem to be relevant at the moment.

Andy

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Certainly a light shower after a period of dry weather can be lethal, whatever tyre you have fitted.

Noting how much rain we've had in the last couple of weeks, that wouldn't seem to be relevant at the moment.

Andy
Round here Andy (Sheffield) we certainly have had a fair amount of water however in this instance the roads were dry prior to a shower. Been out a few times since and the grip levels in current conditions, more rain :-(, are a lot better. It could have been diesel or something else but it just goes to show that you can potentially get caught out very easily. I certainly will not be so quick to judge the next time a see a QV binned on social media...

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Round here Andy (Sheffield) we certainly have had a fair amount of water however in this instance the roads were dry prior to a shower. Been out a few times since and the grip levels in current conditions, more rain :-(, are a lot better. It could have been diesel or something else but it just goes to show that you can potentially get caught out very easily. I certainly will not be so quick to judge the next time a see a QV binned on social media...
exact same thing happened to me on thursday evening bombing to stansted on 3 of the roundabouts in mid essex, 1 of which at low speed. 2nd winter of alpins, never had such issues on them before. was most disconcerting took it very easy cornering and roundabouts after that, it was a little damp. NO issues the previous weekend in the cold on a long run up to north norfolk at a tidy lick (other than c*nting plod stinging me for 79 in a 70 on an empty DC near Sprowston).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts