• Other

Votes: 6 12.8%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Michael Schumacher, love him or hate him.
Won more title's than any other F1 driver and one of the most talked about when it comes to debates on who was the greatest.
But in you book Micael Schumacher...HERO or VILLIAN.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
without doubt a great driver but too dirty to be a hero in my book :D

·
Registered
54,872 Posts
Neither hero nor villain but an exceedingly good and very sucessful driver.

Certainly one of the best ever in Formula 1. It's impossible to prove the
best ever but he is one of the main contenders purely on sucess rate.

Easy to dislike for many and didn't try very hard to negate that because
it didn't seem to be very important to him. And why should it? :)

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
Cant say I like the fella but I dont really know him, good driver though :D

K

·
0 Posts
Probably the best driver since Senna. Amazingly quick and consistent. Not a hero but not a villain either, I think he just wanted it more sometimes.

K

·
0 Posts
Neither Saint nor Sinner for mine.

One damn fine driver though with 7 Forumula One Drivers Championships to prove it.

Didn't always agree with his tactics, but plenty of kudos to the man who put Ferrari back at the top when many others before him tried and failed. :cool:

·
Registered
733 Posts
Probably the best since Senna, but nowhere near as good as the statistics make it look. Forgetting Schumacher's dirty tricks as a driver on far too many occasions, the stories of blatant cheating by the Benetton and Ferrari teams, presumably with his full connivance, will never go away. We'll never know how good he really was, but neither he or the teams he drove for played fair, so his record will be forever tainted, a great driver though nonetheless.

Ps, it's spelled Villain...

H

·
0 Posts
A definate flawed character. Undeniably talented, but he had another darker side to him, a side that would do anything to get the result he wanted, even if it meant bending the rules.

Although I once read a quote from one of his collegues (I foget who it was) which said that he was 100% forgiving when others in the team made mistakes, but 100% unforgiving when he made a mistake himself - an admirable quality.

Schumacher, above all else, is a bit of an enigma.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Flawed hero in my opinion, but the same can be said of Senna and Prost. What most people forget is that intense rivalry and passion to win can bring out the best and worst in people.

We all complain that Schumacher took out Hill to win a WC, but people easily forget Senna did the same to Prost and vice versa. Senna had the win above all costs mentality. He wasn't there to make friends.

In some ways when Alonso and Hamilton were at McLaren together the same rivalry was brewing. Would have been interesting to see them together for a second season!

S

·
0 Posts
Villain, but more of a pantomime villain like Nasty Nick than a G.W.B. / Madoff type villain.

Anyone see that appalling film Driven? The villain in it was a stereotypical Schuey.

Fantastic driver, I remember the day his car was stuck in 5th gear for most of the race, he still came in 2nd.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Character and grace can be found in the way you lose as much as the way you win, and as he was so determined not to lose by ramming other cars off the track, his character was left wanting.

Good driver, but not worthy of hero status.

H

·
0 Posts
Character and grace can be found in the way you lose as much as the way you win, and as he was so determined not to lose by ramming other cars off the track, his character was left wanting.
That's an excellent point :thumbs:

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Not a hero as such.
Always wanted him to lose on race day, but no denying his passion and talent for the craft.
So driven he would literally do anything to get on the top step.
Not a character I would naturally warm to or aspire to emulate, though his top gear appearance
showed a humour that his persona would have benefited from 10 or 20 years ago.

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
An excellent racing driver, a ****** of an individual. The way he rammed into Hill was the actions of a cheat, pure and simple.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts