Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
23,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am pretty indifferent to MJ - a good pop song involves both melody and lyrics - he was (or whoever wrote it) OK on melody but the lyrics were a bit mediocre - and dance does not replace them. However that is not my point.

It has been a weird day - I have had to watch what I say - anything less than "the man was a misunderstood genius" has been met with ill concealed hostility in many circles.

It reminds me of the death of Princess Di, "a peoples saint". Some of us had to walk around watching what we said - occasionally - almost by accident you would identify a fellow realist and you could whisper "thank God, it's not just me, she was just ordinary wasn't she?"

Anyone else know what I mean?

·
Administrator
45,145 Posts
Sort of, although you must be moving in different circles to myself.

I agree entirely about Di, it was ridiculous the outpouring of grief from some, and as you say - she was just ordinary.

Where I have been, there hasn't been that with Jacko. There have been people being very harsh about him, and others asking for a small amount of decency. I haven't seen any hero worship where I've been.

·
Registered
11,735 Posts
got in a bit of an argument with a couple of my mates last night concerning Mr J... needless to say I didn't loose any sleep last night due to emotional outbursts and wounderin' how I'm gonna live without him....

that said I can't think of a single 'celeb' that would cause me to vent like that?

·
Administrator
45,145 Posts
I have to admit, I've been at work (where my floor is practically deserted on a Friday) and on here, so it may be that I'm missing a lot of the general mood!

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
amen paul, although it was much worse with diana. on that morning i went to my local newsagent completely unaware of the whole thing, still wiping the hangover from my eyes. i saw some kind of headline in the papers and the woman who works there who knew me well said 'she has died'. i replied 'you're joking' in a surprised kinda way, at which point she looked at me like i was the son of satan and went on a rant about how she'd never joke about such a thing and i should be ashamed of myself :( i also heard a story about a fella who was abused & attacked by neighbours because he had the gall to wash his car whilst diana's funeral was on the idiot box :confused:

so yes, it's nice to know i'm not the only one to whom the deaths of diana/jade goody (especially jade goody) & michael jackson mean not a jot

·
Registered
19,792 Posts
amen paul, although it was much worse with diana. on that morning i went to my local newsagent completely unaware of the whole thing, still wiping the hangover from my eyes. i saw some kind of headline in the papers and the woman who works there who knew me well said 'she has died'. i replied 'you're joking' in a surprised kinda way, at which point she looked at me like i was the son of satan and went on a rant about how she'd never joke about such a thing and i should be ashamed of myself :( i also heard a story about a fella who was abused & attacked by neighbours because he had the gall to wash his car whilst diana's funeral was on the idiot box :confused:

so yes, it's nice to know i'm not the only one to whom the deaths of diana/jade goody (especially jade goody) & michael jackson mean not a jot
Ditto. A ****ing big ditto actually.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Giving an honest opinion...one less pedo to worry about. He was a musical titan, but lets not idiolise the wicked and forget the thier sins just because they have pased.

K

·
0 Posts
I think maybe it's a bit harsh to say Michael Jackson's passing meant nothing. To whom perhaps?

Certainly not to the millions worldwide who bought his albums.

I'm not an apologist for the man nor have I ever been but seriously, it is difficult to dismiss the impact he had on the music industry.

Okay, his private life was a shambles and often received more attention than his work. Few would argue his reputation was sullied, guilty or not. That's a given.

However he was a great entertainer who along with producer Quincy Jones, transformed the music landscape in the 80s with "Thriller". He practically "owned" that decade in terms of popularity.

Some of his multi-million dollar video clips during that period remain benchmarks to this day and are still emulated.

He was one of those rare artists who could transcend many markets, fusing white heavy guitar rock with black r and b. The King of Pop. The list goes on.

Such a great and varied lifetime of work, even if the back-half of his career didn't receive the same acclaim as the front stanza (read "Off the Wall" and the aforementioned "Thriller").

Hats off. And white glove.

·
Administrator
23,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Giving an honest opinion...one less pedo to worry about. He was a musical titan, but lets not idiolise the wicked and forget the thier sins just because they have pased.
You've missed the point mate - I disagree about the "music" but that's not the point.

Other threads on here can talk about what his sexual preferences may (or not) have been.

Don't even care about what people say about the dead.

The point here? - Public reaction and their vicarious grief.

S

·
0 Posts
That was my general view but I got shot down in flames :lol:

·
Administrator
23,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think maybe it's a bit harsh to say Michael Jackson's passing meant nothing. To whom perhaps?

Me.

Well, his death is no more important than any other - we all die - it's a fact. When, is ultimately, of only transitory interest.

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
i know his death means a lot to some people, although i'd wager that they're not as totally devastated & unable to function as they're telling everybody. a woman on the radio said she 'quite literally couldn't stop crying'. cobblers

as for his music, sorry if i'm having an emperor's-got-no-clothes-on moment but as far as i'm concerned the vast majority of it was a pile of dross, with the odd ok track here and there. ok, so he sold gazillions of records, but so did boyzone and they hardly contributed to music as an art form :confused:

·
Administrator
23,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i know his death means a lot to some people, although i'd wager that they're not as totally devastated & unable to function as they're telling everybody. a woman on the radio said she 'quite literally couldn't stop crying'. cobblers

as for his music, sorry if i'm having an emperor's-got-no-clothes-on moment but as far as i'm concerned the vast majority of it was a pile of dross, with the odd ok track here and there. ok, so he sold gazillions of records, but so did boyzone and they hardly contributed to music as an art form :confused:
+1 (never thought I'd do that - a bit "smiley").

·
Administrator
60,100 Posts
I am pretty indifferent to MJ - a good pop song involves both melody and lyrics - he was (or whoever wrote it) OK on melody but the lyrics were a bit mediocre - and dance does not replace them. However that is not my point.

It has been a weird day - I have had to watch what I say - anything less than "the man was a misunderstood genius" has been met with ill concealed hostility in many circles.

It reminds me of the death of Princess Di, "a peoples saint". Some of us had to walk around watching what we said - occasionally - almost by accident you would identify a fellow realist and you could whisper "thank God, it's not just me, she was just ordinary wasn't she?"

Anyone else know what I mean?

I feel very little sadness about MJ passing, I felt more about Diana but then I related to her as a mom. Her children were similar in age to mine.
I guess we relate in different ways to the *stars* of the "Hollywood" hype type of crowd.

·
Administrator
23,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I feel very little sadness about MJ passing, I felt more about Diana but then I related to her as a mom. Her children were similar in age to mine.
I guess we relate in different ways to the *stars* of the "Hollywood" hype type of crowd.
I see what you are saying - but we are all different. I can, of course, relate to anyone who has gone through difficult times - particularly if they are similar to mine (don't we all?)

I guess I just don't understand why we should all publicly be more demonstrative when it comes to the "famous".

K

·
0 Posts
I guess I just don't understand why we should all publicly be more demonstrative when it comes to the "famous".
Interesting point.

I agree, We shouldn't. And don't need to be.

Some individuals will connect more with a person's passing because of some emotional connection - perceived or real.

That doesn't make their emotions any less valid than someone who doesn't give a toss. Just a different point of view.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts