Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first start my 147GTA from cold I hear a metallic rattle for about a minute. Doesn't happen when the car is already warm.

It's hard to work out where it's coming from exactly, but think it's underneath the car about halfway down, rather than the engine. I'm guessing it's one of the baffles in the exhaust that is loose, so when it heats up it expands and stops the rattle.

Any other ideas ?

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
get it on stands and start er up.

hit the deck and av a shoofty along the pipes.

It will be fairly obvious where she's coming from.

If its a tin heatshield, you could possibly bend it a touch to stop the noise.

If its a baffle in the box, it will gradually get worse till you change the box.

R

·
0 Posts
I get this too on my GTV.

I have a Ragazzon unsilenced rear section and standard original centre section.

I have removed the rearmost heat shield to no avail.

Did you ever find the cause?

M

·
0 Posts
I had a similar rattle a while back...............it was simply a bracket on the exhaust that was a little loose......................how it became loose is another thing, as the thread was rusted solid! A spray of WD40 and left for half an hour freed things up and a few turns of the spanner and all was silent.

·
Registered
822 Posts
When I first start my 147GTA from cold I hear a metallic rattle for about a minute. Doesn't happen when the car is already warm.

It's hard to work out where it's coming from exactly, but think it's underneath the car about halfway down, rather than the engine. I'm guessing it's one of the baffles in the exhaust that is loose, so when it heats up it expands and stops the rattle.

Any other ideas ?
I've always had a similar noise on cold start up, goes after 2 mins (sounds like a metalic tapping). It's the front cat, had a second hand one fitted & that's just the same only not so loud. Not a unique problem, i've heard it on another GTA as well. I've learnt to live with it, annoying just the same though.

Even more aggravating is thrust bearing rattle audible by n/s front wheel. only present when hot, the hotter the car the worse it gets!

·
AO Car Of The Year Winner 2015
3,202 Posts
I've always had a similar noise on cold start up, goes after 2 mins (sounds like a metalic tapping). It's the front cat, had a second hand one fitted & that's just the same only not so loud. Not a unique problem, i've heard it on another GTA as well. I've learnt to live with it, annoying just the same though.
I had this problem as well. The front cat was internally damaged. Rattled maybe 30 - 45 second after startup and when heated up it went away.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i had one of the tiny pipes linked to the cooling system at the back of the engine replaced, after it's sprayed water all over my clean engine. when it came back, noise all gone... could have been a heat shield that was slightly knocking against something ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts