Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As per title....I'm getting a 'empty tin can', loose metal on metal, rattling sound from nearside front wheel / suspension / possibly front passenger area. Can only hear it with the passenger side window down).

Been to an indie to try and diagnose but he can't seem to resolve it and I've the front AR bar replaced (there was play in the bar) and also he's remove the front heatshield which was slightly cracked, but clearly neither of these were causing it.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
943 Posts
Nope, that's loose change under the carpet. :lol:
Not a chance, the kids would disassemble the car if they thought there was money in it.:lol:
Actually, so would the wife.;)

@Iainfm, no it's definitely something to do with the nearside wheel (s) as the noise corresponds directly to the speed. Can never find anything loose/moving though.
As I said, happens very rarely, 1 or 2 times a year at most.
Strange.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I had this this problem years ago with a non Alfa. Turned out to be a small stone trapped in the wheel hub cover. It was extremely loud. I'm guessing you have alloys though, so won't have wheel covers. Have you changed a tyre recently? Stone trapped inside the tyre?

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
worn pads

worn discs with a 'lip' at the edge

brake disc 'dust shield' is rubbingagainst the disc

wheel weight hitting upright

could even be that the upper wishbone bushes are running dry

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
could be the CAT is breaking down causing a 'jingling' sound?

·
0 Posts
I would say due to the infrequency of the phenomenon, it is likely a stone trapped by the brake guard - it happened to me recently & the noise was 'un-nerving'

·
Registered
943 Posts
I would say due to the infrequency of the phenomenon, it is likely a stone trapped by the brake guard - it happened to me recently & the noise was 'un-nerving'

This is what I've always thought it to be, just that the noise is so loud that I was doubting myself. But I guess if it unnerved you as well, that's what it is/was.

Your worst case scenario though is the clutch is falling to pieces.
First happened about 2 years ago, so its taking its time if it is.;)
(Please don't let me be tempting fate)

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'm a fellow sufferer of tincanitis. Only happens when I'm in gear going down a hill.

Thought it was the heat shields, but they checked out to be okay.

My manifold/exhaust's rusted to oblivion, so I reckon I've got a bit of loose metal rattling around inside my system before the cat, or like SEARs says, it could be the cat itself.

Worth checking.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jeez...the number of useless replies...though thanks to the people that did offer something useful.

Anyway forgot to mention that the noise is only present when driving on bumpy, potmarked roads.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Just noticed. GTV You're on the wrong forum thread....
This is for the fun loving 156 owners. . . . .

Had a courtesy GTV 3l jobby from Autolusso when mine was in for some work. Sheesh what a bag of nails that was. Everything rattled and sounded like tin can. How can you tell the difference?????...... LOL

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
does the sound go when you press the brake the same problem on a laguna it was the brake pads rattling it the caliper

1 - 19 of 19 Posts