Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I get a single loud metallic click from the front of the car when I reverse. I then get the same single metallic click when I drive forward again. It sounds like it may be the driveshaft, possibly the hub end. All the other usual suspects: arb bushes, wishbones, inner and outer track rod ends have been checked or replaced. Has anyone experienced this and fixed it? Car is a 1.9jtdm 159 sportwagon.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its your brake pads moving in calipers, i think.
I wish it was that. It was the first thing I thought it could be. I have tried it with no pads in the front brakes. Still get the same click noise. It is a bit louder than the noise the pads moving gives off

·
Premium Member
3,476 Posts
Try grabbing your track rod arms and giving them a firm rotation either direction. I have had it before when they rotate a little to far and then click / knock on sudden movement such as harsh gear changes.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I wish it was that. It was the first thing I thought it could be. I have tried it with no pads in the front brakes. Still get the same click noise. It is a bit louder than the noise the pads moving gives off
When you took the pads out to test did you did you have anything else inserted (to protect the cylinders being ejected)? It sounds like something in the brakes moving with the direction change.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When you took the pads out to test did you did you have anything else inserted (to protect the cylinders being ejected)? It sounds like something in the brakes moving with the direction change.
Hi Old Engineer
I didn't have anything in the front calipers when I took the pads out to test, so I'm thinking it's not the brakes. The track rod ends are new and that hasn't solved the problem.
Thanks for the responses, folks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts