Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, have recently noticed a distinctive noise occurring sometimes when I’m pulling away from a standstill. It’s a metallic noise, sounds like metal scraping/grinding. Quite loud but very short and only as I pull away at traffic lights etc (not every time, only occasionally). Certain it’s coming from the front of the car and everything feels fine.

Wondering if it could be brakes sticking? The discs and pads were all replaced about 6 months and 5,000 miles ago so would be surprised if brake issue. Is there anything else it could be?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I might have the same issue. When going slow or pulling away from standstill, I hear a scraping, kind of a gritty noise. It isn't loud but I really don't want any foreign noises to start growing.
However I don't know for sure where its coming from, but I'm guessing front brakes.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was worried it may be an engine mount or exhaust bracket broken resulting in some movement causing parts to come into contact. On going over speed bumps I've had a good listen and no noise so suspect the brakes too now

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had this noise on my Brera and it's ended up being one of the rear suspension springs break a coil. Might be worth checking out as it would only groan whilst pulling away, however after a week has got a lot louder!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi,
Might be a silly suggestion but can you find an empty street & get some one to stand & listen as you pull away? At least you might have an idea of where its coming from.
Hope you sort it.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Sounds like the brakes.

Maybe calipers sticking or system needs a bleed or new fluid.
Some pads make a squeeky noise when they are cold or a little dirty., might be a result of the calipers releasing slowly because there is air in.
Maybe some small rocks got in there and are dragging on the disk.
Maybe pads are worn (easy to check) or the handbrake shoes (harder to check).

Basically check all pads, check for uneven wear (inside outside pads)
Check the disks, any lines on the disk might be damage from rocks caught in the pad.
To check the handbrake I think you need to remove the rear disk. They might have worn out, and someone adjusted the handbrake.

What my approach would be:
Check source for noise externally (have someone else drive or listen like suggested above).
If something else: come again and ask advice.
If brakes:
Check the pads and disk for signs.
Clean them. (remove brake dust so you can check for rust or wear)
If wear, replace worn parts and replace the fluid&bleed.
When replacing pads, check the calipers and give them a good service. If the pistons have rust, clean and check the orings.
If no wear, replace fluid and bleed if it's been over 2 years. (its good practice anyways, even if it doesn't solve the issue)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks all for the replies - a couple of interesting suggestions. Hadn't considered broken coil but on inspection cannot see anything wrong and it was in a garage for new tyres/alignment recently so hopefully would've been spotted then too.

The A/C comment may be onto something as it was a warm day that I first heard it and I may have had A/C on at the time. How would this cause the noise? Linked to aux belt or a/c pump?

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
It's your A/C pump for sure. I've had it on mine from time to time for the last 8 years (I've owned my car for 11 years now). it sounds terrible but the ari con works with zero issues.
Ttested pressure 3 years ago and no leaks.

When you hear the noise flick off and on the air con and it should clear the issue.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Heard the noise again on my drive home from work today, sounded even louder than before as I didn't have my windows down. As it's pretty grey and miserable I didn't have the A/C on. Still suspect (or hope) something caught in the brakes. Will need to get it into a garage again soon as it's started being very rough and shaky on cold starts again - joy...

·
Registered
42 Posts
If the brakes were replaced recently, if you were braking harshly early on in the life of them they could have warped slightly?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Noticed yesterday when parking that it made the noise very loudly when I put it in reverse and started moving. Made me worried that it could be the clutch even though this feels fine. Is there anything I could do to ‘test’ for potential fault? What type of clutch fault would cause a noise like this?
*prays frantically*

·
Registered
214 Posts
if it is worse or different reversing, I would say it could be the pads or calipers.
If they were replaced recently, did you do it yourself? Maybe misplaced or "forgot" some of the "noise reduction" clips or springs.
Or maybe the shop saved 5,- on not replacing them when replacing the pads (which they should have).

Clutch you can test, put on the handbrake and engage 4th gear. Car will stay stationary and you can put some torque in the clutch. Don't let it slip for too long, and drive it for a bit after, to prevent smoking it up. If something is wrong with the clutch you will hear or feel it right away. If not, look elsewhere.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts