Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone here know much about metal polishing machines?

I picked one up today from work as it was going to be scrapped.

I have used them before, but I don't know much else such as which makes are the best ones.

Made in UK, branded "Union", single phase with a couple of mops.

Is it any good, and shall I pass it onto my mate who makes metal sculptures, as I don't have a lot of space at the moment.

·
Banned
57,288 Posts
Twin spindle machine, pretty new as it has a CE mark, looks in good nick.

Probably has DC injection on the motor for a quick slow down in case you get snagged and need to hit the E stop.

Looks better than some of the kit we have in our shop and we polish jet engine turbine blades :D

·
Registered
37,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was manufactured in 1999, and appears to work.

We can't use it at work, because of the need for extraction, and that takes up space.

My mate, has a few bits of kit that I could do a swap with (Such as a TIG welder), but I have no idea as to what it is worth.

·
Registered
963 Posts
This is just the sort of thing I need in my garage. I have very little use for it, nor space, but it just looks very cool. I do know that at some point I would try to polish my work shoes on it, shortly after which I suspect it would be looking for a new home :D

·
Banned
57,288 Posts
It was manufactured in 1999, and appears to work.

We can't use it at work, because of the need for extraction, and that takes up space.

My mate, has a few bits of kit that I could do a swap with (Such as a TIG welder), but I have no idea as to what it is worth.
The Extraction system would be a PITA, especially if you polish aluminium or titanium because it's flammable and explosive :eek:

They're going for £1500 new, so at least you have an idea how much it's worth :thumbs:

UNION H/D POLISHING MACHINE P10F 3PH (D) - Buck & Hickman

:eek: sorry edit that price a bit the one I found has a cast body and yours is panels but at least you have a rough idea :)

·
Registered
22,760 Posts
Reminds me of happy days doing metalwork at school.

I was hopeless so spent the lessons either burning stuff with a gas torch, or polishing coins on the buffing machine.

Unless I'd forgot to bring my apron, and did written coursework (read homework for the next lesson).

M

·
0 Posts
We have similar machines in school. Very useful for metals and also acrylic. Different grades of soap available.

Quite messy to use but don't know why it would need extraction - they are super fussy about that sort of stuff in schools and we don't use any but then there are some particularly dopey rules about extraction and what machines must have it.

Looks to be in good condition and has the thingies on the outboard ends of the spindle to protect from injury. In case you don't remember, hold the workpiece under the buffing wheel and mind flying bits of it. You'll soon know if it has any braking system - ours don't and it's not a problem - kids of just about any age (reasonably closely supervised when young of course) use them provided they are big enough not to polish their noses on it.

·
Registered
7,158 Posts
I picked one up today from work as it was going to be scrapped.

:lol: :cheese:

This is such a fantastic "bloke" thread.

In the same way that women can't walk past a baby without cooing, or a puppy that may be lost - so blokes can't bear to see a piece of working machinery scrapped even though we have no use for it / don't know how it works or what it does.
I love it! :thumbs: :lol:

I also don't know anything about it, have no use for it, nor any real idea where I'd put it - but I'm sooooooooo tempted to buy it from you. It looks so manly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts