Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I pulled the dipstick out of my GQV and found tiny metal filings in the oil and shat myself.

Then I calmed down and thought about it and realised the end of the dipstick where the twisted metal sheath finishes, has a sharp edge. It seems to be grinding against the tunnel (or whatever you call it) when you push the dipstick in, taking some of the softer metal off. I don't like that I'm then dipping these little bits of abrasive back into the oil.

Anybody else have this issue? I guess I'll head into Alfa and see what they say.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I bet you shat you're self! How excessive are the filings? I'd be concerned about even starting it up with any foreign bodies floating around inside mate :(
Hope it gets sorted!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well it's bad enough that if I completely wipe it clean, reinsert and withdraw, there'll be 5 or so shiny bits I can wipe off again.

My hope is they'll just sit in the bottom of the sump or be caught by the oil filter but even if they do, I don't want them in there, that's for sure!

·
Registered
952 Posts
Well it's bad enough that if I completely wipe it clean, reinsert and withdraw, there'll be 5 or so shiny bits I can wipe off again.

My hope is they'll just sit in the bottom of the sump or be caught by the oil filter but even if they do, I don't want them in there, that's for sure!
Hope you're right :) How far up the dip stick are they? Could be indication whether their suspended in the oil or are at the bottom(Thats if their not being picked up from inside the tube, also does the end of the stick actually touch the bottom maybe 1+mm off maybe)?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No idea how far off the bottom the end is. The sharp bit is the last turn of that 'sheath of twisted metal' that twists around the dipstick... if you get what I mean. i.e. just above where it flattens out to read the oil level. I can't tell if there's any suspended in the oil as it just grabs the metal from the tube when I pull out the dipstick, and mixes it with the oil on the readout section

·
Registered
40,074 Posts
Have you tried removing the sharp edge from the dipstick with a small file or wet and dry paper?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No but I should. It crossed my mind. I was too relieved it wasn't the engine imploding to think too hard about sensible solutions haha

1 - 7 of 7 Posts