Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went down the "hidden lane" in partick today There is just a bunch of businesses there but at one end there is a garage and sitting out side it was an old style GTV 2.0L.

It looks ruined front lights hanging out rusty wheel arches and green slime all over the body work and and tax disc that is a few months out of date. It was really sad. I felt and urge to enquire about it and buy it and restore it.

The only problem with that is I don't seem to have enough free time to change the oil in my car let alone restore one form the ground up. I'm Going to be out of a job very soon so I've got no money & my wife only needs one thing from a car for it to be able to start and drive to where she wants to go. as this car doesn't check one of those boxes she probably would not be happy to see it come home.

So some body please go and restore it. Thank you :D

Cheers Stuart

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Want amazing garage! Its run by two old guys and they had the GTV, a Spider and a Red 166 V6 that I had never seen before. The mechanic was shocked to meet to 166 owners in one day! I asked if he was an "alfa mechanic" and he said the they orinaly started out as a Peugeot/Citroen Garage he then listed off about 7 Classic alfas and lanicas he has owned (a V6 12V and 2600 coupe) I think we have found a good garage by accident! :D

Anyway the GTV is a clients car. But they have not been able to get in contact with him in some time. I said I was worried it would go to the scrapper he looked shocked and said it would never come to that. he said he would find a good home for it (But its still the clients car!). So I gave him my number and the address to this forum and asked him to post here if he was looking for a home for it.

Stuart

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Good lad! :thumbs::D

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Ah, but you did. You planted a seed... ;)

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Where is this emporium? Could perhaps use them in my wee Sprint project . . . .

·
Registered
377 Posts
Talking about this last night :)

If someone took it off the mechanics hands and it was restored would it still not be the property of the "client"?

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Its a sticky issue. I think there is a process where you can write to the DVLA and say that you have found a car that you believe to be abandoned. they will write to the owner stated on the V5 and if there is not a reply within one month then they will issue the V5 in your name. Or something like that!

In reality I think it would just need to push for it Graham knows the chaps details and I think some sort of "sale" could be arranged. If you want to take a look at it I could show you where it is!

Classic Car Repairs Glasgow: Citroen Servicing, Peugeot Repairs - A Graham Harper, Glasgow

By the way if you get her and restore her I'm going to be jealous!

·
Registered
377 Posts
It's still there, silver with wood interior and no headlamps :lol:

TBH I had a quick glance around it and I didn't think it was too bad, never got talking to the garage people, couldn't see anyone about. For the right price I'd have it.

There was an old school Citroen there too, it had those funky headlight that go round corners and the indicators were at the top of the rear window...very smart car in top nick.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The area around the headlamps has corroded so you would need fix that before putting the new lamps! The most worrying thing is there is a rusty patch on the chassis just where the front lower wish join. The exhaust needs reattached. I think for £800 and quite a few weekends work you could have her through the MOT. Then you could spend a grand sorting the rust.

Stuart

1 - 20 of 31 Posts