Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Off to see if the bent coathanger improvised 'tool' allows me to release the 147's radio/cd. As suggested by the kind 'Gent' here on AO a while back. Can't remember who it was, there's a surprise zf. Let you know how much damage I cause!:rolleyes: Back Later.

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Should work fine ZF :) I did it with my 156 head unit.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No dice. The coathanger diameter is approx 2.18mm. Too thin to be a snug fit in the 4 guide holes. Could detect the 4 rods locating the locking mechanisms, but don't think it was precision enough entry to effect release. Will try larger diameter rod, or try to make 4 snug fitting pins on the Emco. or summat.:)

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
Are you sure there aren't any little grub screws at the end of those holes?

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dont think so mate, but could be off track I suppose. (Armoured vehicle jargon again, Oh! well..) think I could detect spring loaded locking mechanisms, but not 100% sure! Have to put 'me safe cracking hat on, or resort to Oxy/Acet. or something. Jesting of course, no rush, will return to the challenge later.:)

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
On standard fittings each hole used to have a little catch which has to be lifted. I have the correct pins, but have used wire, it needs to be the right diameter, with a point on the end to lift the catches.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a lot for that KG. I was using the ends square. Will make a taper on each, bit toooo... chilly in the garage at the moment though.:)

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't honestly know Simon. Will ask them when I go in next. Thanks for mentioning it, may save time and hassle.:)

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Try matches, they usually work or even small nails,pop rivets,pen inners!! have done this loads of times using whatever i can find.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts