Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Rob 156 said:
I thought the smart's were build by mercedes?
Potted history:
The smart car was concieved by the head of Swatch, the watch company.
Swatch initially joined with Volkswagen in 1991, but the project was cancelled. Mercedes then stepped in as a partner and Micro Compact Car (MCC) was formed in 1994 as a joint venture between Mercedes-Benz and Swatch. In 1998 Swatch pulled out and the MCC brand brand became wholy part of DaimlerChrysler.

The smart car is built at a factory complex called smartville, located at Hambach in Lorraine, France.

The construction of the car a franchise/partnership of companies, there are 3 or 4 large suppliers of parts on-site at Hambach. Less than half of smartville's workforce are on the MCC payroll.
Assembly time for a smart four-two coupe is four and a half hours.

So yes MCC is owned by Mercedes, but it wasn't designed or strictly built by them.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Yes, a little sad. You can see that here all the time, people who try to make their Protons look like Mitsubishi Evos. :p

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
ACAPULCO AL said:
maserati badge on a fiat anyone?:lol:
I've see a Ferrari badge on an Alfa :eek: :lol:

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
On the positive side, it is a nice paintjob.

I'm getting my mountain bike sprayed in a flip paint, as soon as I've found somewhere to do me a set of vinyl graphics for it :D

·
Premium Member
38,310 Posts
Sad... :rolleyes:

And what's a Proton?? :confused:

·
Premium Member
38,310 Posts
What he said... :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
114,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Rob 156 said:
Slightly off topic here for a minute, but I just wished the Proton chaps let their Lotus colleagues just take over the company and let them sort it all out.

M

·
0 Posts
I've seen a Nissan 300ZX done up like a Ferrari with the badges:tut: as well parked up at the Newark Autojumble last November. To my recollection someone on here posted a thread about it roughly a month ago because it was for sale on Ebay.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts