Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Saab 240DL Veloce
19,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a couple of years, I'll part with the 190, and I have my eye on a used W204 as a possible replacement (not set in stone; i like that Toyota/Subaru coupe too, and that'll be a lot of fun).

Here's what's concerning me. Just see the stuff listed here:

w204 secrets thread... - MBWorld.org Forums

How much stuff (read expensive to fix when it goes wrong/added complexity) does a car need v you need as a car driver?

To my 190, I'd like to add: full set of airbags, air con and a CD player. But i look at what the the W204 has and I think oh cripes - all that stuff is asking for trouble. Anyway we will see; W204 has been around since 2007, so long enough to get an idea of how durable its complexity is relative to its usefulness. We'll see.

·
Registered
39,320 Posts
I think I would give it a miss personally. old Mercs are great and pretty cool. If my dads 2007 CLS is anything to go by the W204 will have average build quality, and be overly complicated leading to poor reliability.

My dads CLS also failed the MOT on brake pipe corrosion. That is poor going for a 7 year old car that cost upwards of £60,000 when new.

But having said that my next door neighbour has owned one (W204) from new in 2008 and he hasn't had many problems, but he only does a small mileage.

·
Registered
Saab 240DL Veloce
19,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I'm quite alarmed by all of that. Does anyone now make a car that isn't a disaster when used?

i read Honest John's comments on the 190 as a compare and contrast, to see what 30 plus years of progress would mean with a W204. Looks like a 25 year old 190 is a better bet than a used C-Class. :confused:

Mercedes-Benz 190 (W201) - Classic Car Review | Honest John

to be clear about the wiper on the W201. There is no 'flap' to lift on its base. He is right to say it needs lube - and to lube it on a W201, you need to get the wiper 45 degrees-ish across the screen, then remove a part of the wiper trim section (trim that's on its arm; not a 'flap' on its rotational base) and then squirt some grease on the extended/exposed piston part of the wiper that makes it jump into the corners of the screen.

Sorry to be anal. I think what he says applies to the bigger W124's (E-Class) wiper (same wiper principal, but slightly different set up), but not to the 190.

And that's how life is. I have just made a post commenting on how to lube a wiper on a Merc. God forbid I should post something of interest :)

·
Registered
38,050 Posts
Former work colleague has 'a merc', 53 plate, so not the one you are looking at. No idea what it is, I just call it the airport taxi.

The failed brake pipes cost over a grand because they had to remove a full length undertray.

Some "pre-heater" thingy gave up, £350.

Last week he was gabbling on about some failed 'thingy' that's £1,500. I remember now it's brake related. Allegedly you can only get the 'thingy' from MB, they even repo busted ones on replacement so you can't get recon units.

Not for me G.

·
Premium Member
77,413 Posts
I couldn't see me buying a "new" car. The older I get the more I wonder if electric windows are really the great advance they seemed when I was 12.

·
Registered
Saab 240DL Veloce
19,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, so the vibe I'm picking up on is to avoid a used, new-ish, Merc.

Fair play, but is the same true of a BMW or Audi? Is massive complexity (none of which you or I asked for) a factor to consider on every new-ish car? Are we only ever going to sink money into used, potential problematic money pits? Or do we go new and get some favourable all-in lease deal on something nice yet innocuous like a VW Up?

Dunno about you, but I just hoped my car dreams would be a bit more tantalising than paying through the nose to run an overly complicated used car v renting a dull new one financed through a lease deal that i have to give back after three years.

Hmm.

·
Registered
Saab 240DL Veloce
19,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You're right in that last sentence.
:lol:

New Daewoo Matiz all round for everyone :thumbs:

I'll have a red one. Maybe a blue one. White. No, green. Black. I don't care.

Does it run? Perfect. Sounds ace.

:cry:

·
Registered
38,845 Posts
:lol:

New Daewoo Matiz all round for everyone :thumbs:

I'll have a red one. Maybe a blue one. White. No, green. Black. I don't care.

Does it run? Perfect. Sounds ace.

:cry:
A replacement pair of adaptive headlights for a current Mercedes costs about the same as a Matiz!

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
I'd love to have another Mercedes.

Come to that I'd also love to have a BSA 500cc Gold Star and a Vincent 1000cc, Black Shadow as well.

All pipe dreams now, so I'll have to content myself with my chauffeuse and her set of wheels, me'old Raleigh Max, and naturally of course me' bus pass? :(:

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
No problems with the wifes '05 CLK 320 over 5 years except an intermittent crank sensor and a couple of replacement springs, a few hundred quid at local independent.

'80's top end cars do seem to have a happy balance of reasonable rustproofing and not being over complex, so why not go for the Quattro? You know you always wanted one....

·
Registered
38,845 Posts
An acquaintance in the time when the Audi UR Quattro was current had one and needed to plan each month which issue he could afford to fix. I remember a new digital instrument cluster was one months project. And that was before the spares ran out some years later.

·
Registered
Saab 240DL Veloce
19,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You're right Harry, a Quattro has been on the list for years :) Whether it makes it onto the drive, is another matter. Certainly haven't ruled one out...but I haven't done the research, either and I have lost track of these cars over the years. I pretty much knew what I was getting into with my Golf GTis, the GTV6 and the 190, but I haven't really tracked the Quattro to the same extent to have an idea about what one might be like now - from driving, owning and the practical issue about the realities of maintaining it day to day. With a 4x4, a turbo and my recent ignorance of this car, part of me wonders if it's a risk too far? Anyway, this is a worry for another time :)

·
Registered
44,905 Posts
Former work colleague has 'a merc', 53 plate, so not the one you are looking at. No idea what it is, I just call it the airport taxi.

The failed brake pipes cost over a grand because they had to remove a full length undertray.

Some "pre-heater" thingy gave up, £350.

Last week he was gabbling on about some failed 'thingy' that's £1,500. I remember now it's brake related. Allegedly you can only get the 'thingy' from MB, they even repo busted ones on replacement so you can't get recon units.

Not for me G.
Airport taxi is always an E class :thumbs:

·
Registered
44,905 Posts
In a couple of years, I'll part with the 190, and I have my eye on a used W204 as a possible replacement (not set in stone; i like that Toyota/Subaru coupe too, and that'll be a lot of fun).

Here's what's concerning me. Just see the stuff listed here:

w204 secrets thread... - MBWorld.org Forums

How much stuff (read expensive to fix when it goes wrong/added complexity) does a car need v you need as a car driver?

To my 190, I'd like to add: full set of airbags, air con and a CD player. But i look at what the the W204 has and I think oh cripes - all that stuff is asking for trouble. Anyway we will see; W204 has been around since 2007, so long enough to get an idea of how durable its complexity is relative to its usefulness. We'll see.
Your 190 is built properly Scud, over engineered so it lasts forever. I suspect if you get a C-Class you will notice a difference in build quality and reliability.

I'm always drawn back to looking at late 80s / early 90s Mercedes CE class, lovely old motors and last forever if you look after them. :) I've noticed prices are creeping up for the CE, if I could I'd have one hidden away and just take it out for high days and holidays. :D

·
Registered
Saab 240DL Veloce
19,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ADF, I agree that the CE is a thing of much loveliness.

If you click here http://www.charlesironside.co.uk/

Then click on for sale, then scroll down 10 cars, there is a nice CE. I don't like the price, but I like the car - it is suave, very elegant, discrete - i like it :thumbs:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts