Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have new Mercs got a rear facing radar now?

I think I set one off today as it flashed it's hazards at me as I came up to a stationary traffic queue.

·
Registered
33,701 Posts
The Giulietta triggers its hazards if you emergency brake in an extreme way. It's not just the Mercedes Benz.

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No it didn't get triggered by the Merc itself. That was at standstill.
It seemed to be triggered by my slighty too fast approach to
the back of the Merc. Nowhere near a collision, but definitely
an automated "Oy! Watch out!"

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Reminds me of those ultrasonic,(not too sure if they were ) alarms for cars that detected folk in close proximity to the vehicle announcing through a speaker system, 'Stand clear of this vehicle as it is electronically alarmed?' Or summat' similar?

Remember those?

S

·
0 Posts
Reminds me of those ultrasonic,(not too sure if they were ) alarms for cars that detected folk in close proximity to the vehicle announcing through a speaker system, 'Stand clear of this vehicle as it is electronically alarmed?' Or summat' similar?

Remember those?

I had one of those that I DIY fitted to my first car, a C reg Fiat Uno. It was very funny, but utterly useless.

It said in a thick yank accent

'Please move away. This vehicle is alarmed'

It then went off and was too quiet to take seriously. £30 wasted on 1996.

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
I had one of those that I DIY fitted to my first car, a C reg Fiat Uno. It was very funny, but utterly useless.

Yes, but how much did you resell the alarm for?

S

·
0 Posts
I didn't. I put the car through a stone wall into a field and it crunched up like a crisp packet.

V

·
0 Posts

American, and too quiet to take seriously? You cannot be serious! :lol:

S

·
0 Posts
No, the alarm siren thing.

The voice was loud and irritating, the siren was a bit like a muted ice-cream van. You'd look around wondering where the noise was coming from and realise the ****ty white Uno with a massive body kit and 13" steels was flashing its indicators at you.

Desperately embarrassing.

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
This technology is going to come seriously unstuck in a few years time, once millions of cars are out there running it. Some kid will invent a jammer that convinces cars that they are about to hit something or be hit, and they are going to sell like hot cakes.

Bored with people speeding down your street? Errect a virtual brick wall in front of their car and watch it stand on its nose. Laugh and point at the angry driver.

Don't like people overtaking you? Magic up an oncoming car to give their car a heart attack.

Want to protect the parking space outside your house? Put a virtual car in it...

The possibilities are endless....

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,328 Posts
If the rear collision detector doesn't work, I read that Bosch is working on a post-impact sensor that limits how much a car spins out of control after a rear impact. If only a quarter of the car's rear is hit, that could project it in all manner of directions; the brake system would use the ABS to keep it in a straight line.

There's so much clever stuff in new cars :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts