Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just got a new Cobra alarm fitted to my 1999 T reg 2.0 GTV and the company fitting the alarm have advised me that ive got a melted fuse in the fuse box!!! ive seen a few posts about this problem mainly to do with the rear winder heating system. What is the fix for a melted fuse, is it a case of just replacing it or will the same happen again?

any help would be fantastic.

Cheers

Andrew

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I need to take a closer look tonight, but everything works ok.

Do you know where the rear heater fuse is?

·
Registered
299 Posts
According to the manual it's fuse 21 @30 amps rated and is to the RHS of the steering wheel under the dash. It has a wee pull down tab at the bottom of the fuse/relay tray. You will need to remove the dash panel first.

Regards

·
Registered
8 Posts
in my experience, the problem you have is due to a short in the fuse box.
therefor you'll need a new fuse box.
I support alfa_technician. On the way to work one morning I smelt burning. Stopped to investigate and one of the fuses was on fire down by my foot. Fortunately wasn't far from home (and fuse was non-critical - can't remember which one) so was able to return home.

But it was a little scary at the time.

Garage diagnosis was a short in the fuse box - remedy new one £250 ish.

Definitely recommend getting it checked out!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Does any one know exactly which part shorts out as I find this very odd? I have not looked at the Alfa fuse box yet but normally they just consist of a bunch of spade terminals held by the plastic mold which allow you to push the fuse into. In my experience what normally happens is the spades or fuse blade becomes loose or slightly corroded which then gives an electrical resistance between the two parts. As items like the screen heater draw a lto of current it causes the connection between the fuse blade and crimp to heat up to a stage where it melts the holder. Normal fix for me is to cut the wires back and fit a normal in line fuse holder.

Regards

1 - 7 of 7 Posts