Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently just "wax/polished" my car with the Meguiars Color X product and it has really made a difference.

I have a Nero Black 145 QV and the car is hugely impressive. I had it at a car show today and had numerous amount of people complimenting me on how fantastic the car shines.

The only problem is, these people should warn you that you going to have a broken arm doing this. It took me all day yesterday, I was and still am knackered.

·
Registered
187 Posts
i swear by meguires products, they cater for every type of paintwork and finish

although i must add, theres a different between waxing, and polishing a car ;) lol

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I have recently just "wax/polished" my car with the Meguiars Color X product and it has really made a difference.

I have a Nero Black 145 QV and the car is hugely impressive. I had it at a car show today and had numerous amount of people complimenting me on how fantastic the car shines.

The only problem is, these people should warn you that you going to have a broken arm doing this. It took me all day yesterday, I was and still am knackered.
Probably took you all day cos you may have tried to do this in diresct sunlight???

OR

Used far too much product???

Both would lead to extended and difficult removal.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
although i must add, theres a different between waxing, and polishing a car ;) lol
This I am aware of, the problem is. This product never really said which it was doing. I would guess it was a polish....

Probably took you all day cos you may have tried to do this in diresct sunlight???

OR

Used far too much product???
I did it in my garage, no sun what so ever. I didn't really use to much product, it just said don't apply large area's at once. So I didn't.

Well then, the question should be. How long should it take to wash and polish your car by hand....?

J

·
0 Posts
Well then, the question should be. How long should it take to wash and polish your car by hand....?
Some of us have been known to take a bank holiday weekend :doh: but that was a little excessive :lol:

to do a car properly i budget on a full day, and that is inside and outside and underbonnet......but i am a little OCD :rolleyes:

J

·
0 Posts
The megs was a polish, to get the full benefit and really get the car to shine you really need to wax the car afterwards with a good quality wax...

I use Dodo Purple velvet, designed for dark cars it looks the bees knees and smells like bubblegum...yum yum

·
Registered
187 Posts
as above

meguires use a 3 stage process...

-paint cleaner or clay and detailer to clean the paint

-polish to get the shine and bring out the shine of the oil of the paint

-wax to lock in this thin layer of polish/shine, this is what also causes the beading of water

theoryically (sp) of course! lol

·
Registered
9,178 Posts
That's what I do ... did the black Clio last weekend and it looks amazing (didn't clay but used the stage 1 for the first time ... 54 plate, third owner, bought in July 2008).

I've still to completely clay the 156. Have done the roof though and it makes a big difference. Shame it can't get pink bumpers and rear spoiler back to red! :lol:

·
Registered
410 Posts
Shame it can't get pink bumpers and rear spoiler back to red! :lol:
I had this problem on a long expired Citroen BX GTI, I found the only way to restore the paint was first to use a good paste cleaner/polish,then use the old Simonize hard wax,it took several coats untill the colour returned,then I sealed it with Autoglym resin sealer. Bonnet (plastic) would last for months but the horizontal portion of the spoiler needed attention every few weeks in the summer.

Mike

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Mate.. If done properly it does take all day to wash and polish the car, especially if your removing scratches and swirl marks. machine polishing saves your arms but still takes just as long. Waxing though is nowhere near as tough. Next time you wash your car give it a coat of good quality wax. Should take you no longer than 2 hours to finish the whole car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts