Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been going crazy recently buying various detailing products for the MiTo and bought some Meguiars GC Shampoo at the weekend. Gave it a whirl last night followed by some AG Aquawax. It seems alot better than my AG Body Conditioning Shampoo and lathered up a treat! The car was awesomely shiny......until it (it happens every time to me) rained!:mad: Ive got a few other new products to use aswell but have to wait until i know it aint gonna rain within minutes of me putting the stuff away:cry: Heres a few pics anyway:)

Attachments

·
Registered
713 Posts
Ive been going crazy recently buying various detailing products for the MiTo and bought some Meguiars GC Shampoo at the weekend. Gave it a whirl last night followed by some AG Aquawax. It seems alot better than my AG Body Conditioning Shampoo and lathered up a treat! The car was awesomely shiny......until it (it happens every time to me) rained!:mad: Ive got a few other new products to use aswell but have to wait until i know it aint gonna rain within minutes of me putting the stuff away:cry: Heres a few pics anyway:)
Beautiful mate, you can come around to mine and do mine when I get it. Top job you have done their! Looks lush.

Hope you didnt get too wet this time with the foam lance! :lol:

I have the AG aquawax too, cant wait to use it if thats the results!

How long did it take you to do all that washing/cleaning/waxing?

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Yours is looking great, well worth the effort.

Hubby uses AutoGlym HD Wax on mine and it takes him about 1 hour.
He says it's easy on, wait fifteen minutes or so and easy buff off.
Looks fantastic when clean and shiney.

·
Registered
713 Posts
It took 2.15 mins mate including doin the bonnet with AG SR Polish, protecting the wheels and shining the tyres. Next time im gonna try claying and use the HD Wax so god knows how long that'll take!:lol:
Not horrendous then, good fair decent time! Got all my kit now except a nice polish. The aquawax looks the business mind you!:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys and gals! The Aquawax is very user friendly but im dying to get a bash with the HD Wax. Im not quite sure about using the Clay as ive just used AG SRP. Will the clay remove that smallville?
Also a guy on cleanyourcar.co.uk is giving me a test of his AG UDS which is for dark cars and fills swirls etc. Still loads of stuff i want tho! Grit Guards and better drying towels, tyre gel, Poorboys Black Hole, Chem Guys Pete's 53 Wax...............whens the lottery on again?:lol:
Have to say the Halfords Pressure Washer is a belter for the price lpoolck!:thumbs: Have you tried yours yet?

·
Registered
713 Posts
Have to say the Halfords Pressure Washer is a belter for the price lpoolck!:thumbs: Have you tried yours yet?
No not tried it yet, going to give me saxo vtr one last good clean next weekend before I sell it. Glad its good, bargain for £35 really, lets just hope the soap/lance thing sprays forward on mine! Dont want a wet crotch!

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No not tried it yet, going to give me saxo vtr one last good clean next weekend before I sell it. Glad its good, bargain for £35 really, lets just hope the soap/lance thing sprays forward on mine! Dont want a wet crotch!
Its a nice feeling, im sticking with it for that very reason:lol: :lol:

S

·
0 Posts
Gizto29 - When I clayed my car last this is the way I done it.

1. Wash down with wash mitt (1 bucket of shampoo, 1 bucket of water to rinse the wash mitt in)
2. Dry it using a microfibre cloth
3. Attack it with the clay, make sure you keep it well lubed
4. Wash down with wash mitt (1 bucket of shampoo, 1 bucket of water to rinse the wash mitt in)
5. Apply what ever wax you will be using
6. Then maybe apply some polish to your car to keep it all protected

Hope this helps fella :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gizto29 - When I clayed my car last this is the way I done it.

1. Wash down with wash mitt (1 bucket of shampoo, 1 bucket of water to rinse the wash mitt in)
2. Dry it using a microfibre cloth
3. Attack it with the clay, make sure you keep it well lubed
4. Wash down with wash mitt (1 bucket of shampoo, 1 bucket of water to rinse the wash mitt in)

Hope this helps fella :thumbs:
Should the wax and polish not be the other way round chief?:confused:

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Should the wax and polish not be the other way round chief?:confused:
thats what i thought, but then my knowledge in this subject area is very poor.

Gizto, earlier in the thread you were on about claying your mito, and like i said, my knowledge is poor in this area, but is there any point in claying a new car?:confused: :thumbs: :D

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Aah right, i see S.:)

You confused me with putting the word 'wax' at step number 5 and the word 'polish' at step number 6. :thumbs: :D
In my head, these should be the other way around.

S

·
0 Posts
Aah right, i see S.:)

You confused me with putting the word 'wax' at step number 5 and the word 'polish' at step number 6. :thumbs: :D
In my head, these should be the other way around.
Sorry about that fella, I have always done it like that and not had a problem so all been good so far :D:D

I might try it the other way round on my old bumper thats in the garage and see what the difference is :confused:

·
Registered
685 Posts
Meguiars AG shampoo is fantastic stuff, sometimes if in a hurry I can wash it with that, quickly dry it and it will look almost as good as when its had the full treatment.

Have fun with the new car, but just be careful how much stuff you're chucking on there and using or you end up more damage than good!!

I get confused by people using two buckets to wash; the mitt/sponge is always being rinsed in the "dirty" bucket!!

:)

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
GIZ - mate you are being given some very confusing advise, if you don't mind me saying so.

You always wax AFTER polishing, thats the whole point. Polish is slightly abrasive and sometimes contains fillers which masks swirls (an example is SRP). Wax is there to protect the finish from the elements.

I too think that it is unnecessary to clay your car at this stage of it's life (that is unless it is absolutely full of bonded contaminants) . This seems highly unlightly considering the amout of time, money and effort you have lavished on it in the past few weeks.

To answer your question, if you clay the car it will remove every bit of polish and wax that you have previously applied. Understand that if you clay your car you are "wiping the slate clean". The clay will not remove the swirls and scratches, in fact it may well accentuate them! All that clay does is remove bonded contaminants providing a perfectly smooth surface ready to be corrected by machine or hand, polished and waxed.

If you clay your car and then just apply a wax you might be dissapointed.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
I get confused by people using two buckets to wash; the mitt/sponge is always being rinsed in the "dirty" bucket!!

:)
One of the main causes of swirls is bits of grit and dirt being wiped over the surface while washing. The idea of the two bucket method is that every time you have washed a panel, you rinse the mit in the "rinse" bucket of water. The dirt clinging to the mit is dislodged and falls to the bottom of the bucket. You then dunk the mitt in the "clean" bucket of soapy wash water and proceed to the next panel. This way your soapy washing water remains uncontaminated.

You can check how well it works by looking in the bottom of the two buckets at the end of the wash and see the residue left in the bottom.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts