Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one used one of these?? It involves sanding your polycarbonate headlight lenses then polishing them with Meguiars PlastiX.

My headlights are a bit scratched and they've got a bit of road rash. Sanding seems a bit drastic so I wanted to see if anyone's successfully done it. On the web some people rave about it while others say you're sanding off the UV protection layer etc etc etc.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
You get different levels of Mequires PlastX.

I have the 'light' and it worked well to clear up my old Juniors instrument lenses. However it struggled to clear an old corsa's headlights when I tried.

If your lenses are very unclear I would rather buy the moderate or heavy duty - then you probably won't need to sand the lenses.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So mine aren't cloudy/faded just a bit scratched and road rashed. I think I'll try just the PlastiX as a start.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
It will work well for a while. You'll need to spray the lens cover with a UV resistant gloss paint for more permanent results.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
I did the back yard trick.
I used Autosil (more abrasive version of toothpaste basically) and then "sealed it with Megs wax that I had at home.
This is a trick I have done on all my cars and works well for about a year, I say a year as I do this at least once a year, as a preventative maintenance system.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Turtle wax kit works well and comes with UV sealant.

When you sand, you use the same grit as used by a body restorer to polish your car after a respray. So go ahead and use the product. Afterwards there is a polishing step where you smooth everything off to a high gloss then spray UV coating over it, then polish again.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
And crosshatch sanding

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
86 Posts
Turtle wax kit works well and comes with UV sealant.

When you sand, you use the same grit as used by a body restorer to polish your car after a respray. So go ahead and use the product. Afterwards there is a polishing step where you smooth everything off to a high gloss then spray UV coating over it, then polish again.

That's what I use. It definitely makes a difference

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Ooo the uv spray sound cool. Is it washing resistant?

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
I bought Rustoleum Painter's Touch 2x Ultra Cover Gloss Clear but have not used it yet. You can sand a plastic lens with soap water, then apply PlastX and it will remain looking good for a couple of weeks. You need to spray the lens to avoid it becoming misty or yellow.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts