Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
77,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is clear that we are growing stealthily older together (and some of us, unfortunately, aren't). Some of us are falling apart slightly. Shall we have a place, dear friends, to share our bulges, snips, aches and underhangings?

I'll open with a dilemma. I have a nastily arthritic left ankle. I walk with a limp every day and fairly constant pain, which I can cope with. I occasionally enjoy sensible hill walking with the family, playing safe, but still getting 'out there' a bit.

Every now and then it flares up (usually as a result of wrenching it a bit). Can't get a shoe on, can't really walk. Worst of all, can't sleep. I've been in a lot of pain for over a week. No exacerbating injury - it's just swollen, hot, red, and painful. The joint is immobile. I'm going to the docs today, expecting a dose of Naproxen and codeine.

Previous referral to the physio has offered 2 options: 1) live with pain; 2: have ankle fused. Fusing eliminates the pain, and also removes any mobility in the joint. It lasts for about 20 years. After that, they advise not possible to re-do (presumably the ends of the joints are damaged in the op). The advice was (is), cope if you can for as long as you can, before taking the Op.

I know I'm in a bit of a low point here - but I'm tempted to seek a referral to a surgeon to talk about the op. 20 years of pain free life sounds attractive right now. Maybe the tech will improve over 2 decades, maybe they can fit me with a wheel?

In my shoes (lol), what might you do?

·
Registered
14,878 Posts
What happens after 20 years would be my question. Surely if it's fused, it's fused and that's that?

My left ankle is slightly knackered due to a sporting injury many moons ago but nothing like to that extent. I keep having flare ups of plantar faciitis on my left foot too so I occasionally hobble about like an old man. I walk at least 3 miles every day, sometimes a lot more, partly through necessity so resting the duff limb isn't always easy.

·
Registered
44,882 Posts
Take the pain killers, take a couple of weeks to think about your next move. Being in pain always clouds your judgement, maybe the pain killers will allow you some perspective and the opportunity to make the right decision for you.

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
Talked your problem over with my nursey wife Anne...she says pain will go with fusion but you will walk without spring in the offending ankle and because of your different posture it could lead to problems with your hips... it's a balancing act, excuse the pun.
Her mother got her big toe fused because of pain and now walks a bit flat footed and regrets it... ankle is a bigger kettle of fish.
Hope it works out for you Steve.

·
Registered
11,521 Posts
Take the pain killers, take a couple of weeks to think about your next move. Being in pain always clouds your judgement, maybe the pain killers will allow you some perspective and the opportunity to make the right decision for you.
Sounds like sage advice^

Naproxen consumed. Hopefully things will calm down.
Fingers crossed for you Sif.

If you fuse the ankle we’ll have to call you Stif!

(sorry. :eek:: )

·
Registered
13,070 Posts
After two non diagnoses in the last couple of years concerning flare ups in my foot, I was (finally?) diagnosed with gout in April. This year's flare up has been worse than the previous years, as it has taken a lot longer for the pain to dissipate. I mentioned this in another thread but I have been taking CBD oil and it has really helped - I've not had any naproxen for maybe a month and things are a lot better.

·
Premium Member
77,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After two non diagnoses in the last couple of years concerning flare ups in my foot, I was (finally?) diagnosed with gout in April. This year's flare up has been worse than the previous years, as it has taken a lot longer for the pain to dissipate. I mentioned this in another thread but I have been taking CBD oil and it has really helped - I've not had any naproxen for maybe a month and things are a lot better.

Gout is a bit of joke when you mention it in the workplace. It is a form of arthritis and hugely painful. I'm not sure why it is regarded in the way it is, but I suspect it is a form of finger pointing snobbery.

I have had a couple of bouts in my right foot previously. No fun at all.

Glad to hear the CBD is working for you. Who's your dealer? :blabla:

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
Gout is a bit of joke when you mention it in the workplace. It is a form of arthritis and hugely painful. I'm not sure why it is regarded in the way it is, but I suspect it is a form of finger pointing snobbery.

B&M apparently. :)

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/whats-on/shopping/bm-now-selling-cbd-cannabis-16457209

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Feel your pain, i've got gout in my big toe joint, hurts like hell.

Ive also got tennis elbow in both elbows, had a steroid injection in one twice but it comes back after 3 months. bought some dumbells to to exercises but as yet i haven't done any.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I’d bare with it a while longer though it’s easy for me to say. I’d be worried that altering your walking gait would eventually have a detrimental effect on both your hip and back. At 60, I’m early arthritic in my hands and feet but have held things a bay with diet, fish oil tablets and non-impact exercise. Losing 12kg recently (from 87kg->75kg) was a bonus and I’ve really felt better in the knees and feet for it.

·
Registered
13,070 Posts

Yes, there's definitely a stigma / prejudice attached to it, the first response I normally hear is to be told to cut down on the amount of swan that I eat. Thankfully my outbreaks have been mild and now that I know that I have it, I have half a clue of the trigger(s) - probably alcohol in my case and I also know what to do when I have an outbreak.

As for my dealer, they'll get busted if I tell you! It seems that you can get it everywhere now, the guy in my local cafe sells it, as do my nearest pharmacy and also Holland and Barrett.

·
Premium Member
77,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've been on the wagon for a week or two, and drinking ridiculous amounts of water - I mean absolutely stupid - almost up to the NHS recommended guidelines.

2 observations - 1) I don't know how I can drink more water than I am at the moment; and 2) I'm constantly and urgently peeing.

Last night I was meant to go to a tribute act gig in the local music centre thing (Bootleg Blondie, since you ask). Supposed to be good and have played with Clem Burke before - though I think the singer has a touch of young Alison Steadman about her (not necessarily a bad thing, of course).

I decided t swerve it, and rest up. And shared a bottle of vino and a couple of small snifters with the missus. Feel slightly rough this morning.

I've had a pint of water already. So, taking the thread in another direction....HOW MUCH WATER DO YOU DRINK?

·
Registered
13,070 Posts
I always think that I drink a fair amount, especially at work but we have rather small tumblers, so I probably don't drink enough

I have started to carry a water bottle with me for anything over a mile*. For my work commute, I have one in my laptop backpack and after the 12 minute walk down the hill and up the other side, I then have 60 odd steps (two steps at a time if I am feeling energetic) to negotiate, which takes me to the back of the station.

I went for a bike ride yesterday and drank pints of the stuff in the evening.

*Plus a bottle of Lucozade on the bad hangover days - that hasn't been for a while though.

·
Registered
44,882 Posts
I've had a pint of water already. So, taking the thread in another direction....HOW MUCH WATER DO YOU DRINK?
Not enough, certainly not the 5 litres or whatever the NHS guidelines say you should drink. I must drink between 1 and 1.5 litres of water each day, split between neat water, coffee and tea. The 5am morning pee is almost always telling me I'm a bit dehydrated. Was that too much information? :lol:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts