Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
37,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you have it?

Does your significant other lack it? :confused:

How many times have I heard of some poor device "Well it should do it"?

Or heard the Spider or the Six going down the road, cold from the drive, at an ear piercing, heart rending 5,000rpm :(

Am I just a berk thinking that if you are gentle with something and coax it along it will be better than just thrashing away at it?

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Seems like we are in the same situation. They just can't grasp mechanical sympathy. I tried explaining it like this to my mrs which sort of made her understand.

Me: If I were to ask you to sprint 100m as fast as you could right now what would you do after you'd told me to f off?
Hev: err I'd warm up so I don't pull a muscle......
Me: bingo :thumbs: so next time when the car is cold stop asking it to sprint down the road you tard :mad:

*backhands mrs and sends her to the kitchen :lol: *

You could also do what I did and make her drive a KA :lol:

G

·
0 Posts
Am I just a berk thinking that if you are gentle with something and coax it along it will be better than just thrashing away at it?
That advice applies to more than just machines you know............ If only Swiss were here when you need him :lol:

To answer the question, I have sympathy for cars, but many other machines get sworn at a lot. Especially computers. I have no sympathy for them at all. My significant other has sympathy for pretty much everything, she is a gentle soul so the cars don't get thrashed by her.

Cheers,

Nigel

·
Registered
41,769 Posts
i always treat my babe2 gently and thank her when we reach destination, yes i am nuts but she has worked hard recently doing 4k miles in 7 weeks and did so well, made me proud of her, my other half doesnt understand and thinks im totally barmy but the he drives a citreon, say no more:lol:

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts

·
Registered
41,769 Posts
no.........im ashamed to say it.........a ds4......i know, i got my coat:eek:

·
Registered
37,776 Posts
I was thinking of mechanical sympatrhy yesterday when I went out to scrape the ice from my car.

My next door neighbour was using an old Diesel van, and instead of scraping the ice with the engine ticking over, he was sat in there ragging the nuts off of it, so that the engine would warm up quicker and de-ice the windows. :lol:

Personally I always treat a car gently until the engine has warmed up.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
he was sat in there ragging the nuts off of it, so that the engine would warm up quicker and de-ice the windows. :lol:.
That's because your next door neighbour is an idiot :rolleyes:

·
Regional Support North, Is there a meet near you?
63,410 Posts
Norty Tess, thats what i was on about. You need to let the oil get around the engine

Heaven knows what you thought i meant ;)

·
Registered
41,769 Posts
Norty Tess, thats what i was on about. You need to let the oil get around the engine

Heaven knows what you thought i meant ;)
i knew that gazzy, just what did you think i was thinking abouthalo

M

·
0 Posts
A bit like Nigel, I have mechanical sympathy for 'mechanical items'....but am simply impatient with computers!:lol:

I never take the GTA above 3000 rpm until I have 2 bars on the oil temp, and equally, Maud is treated far better than most people would treat a car. Pot holes, ruts in the road etc are avoided in both cars, doors don't get slammed, gearboxes are treated gently etc.
Both cars also receive a regular check over too, fluids, wiper condition, an under body check on a ramp at work, tyre pressure check and the like. I do this every couple of months...probably overkill but there you go.

Look after them, and they'll look after you:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
The fact that it wasn't his van and it was clapped out anyway might also have had something to do with it. ;)
1. its clapped out cos idiots like him drive it :p
2. he's a f'in dick for doing it to something that isn't his. If I found out he was doing it to something I owned I'd send him the bill:rolleyes:

·
Registered
37,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Have you charged your missus for breaking your GTA yet?
Me or Joss :confused:

She took it to Birmiingham yesterday and did nothing but moan about the wipers squeaking and how much fuel it has used :rolleyes:

Got a text from her lad saying "'kin 'ell your car is quick!", so she has no doubt been thoroughly thrashed :( :cry:

1 - 20 of 78 Posts